Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SMOGON] UU RMT!
Hey guys, I'd like some reviews of a HO UU team that I made. It's not that bad honestly (got to 1400-ish on the showdown ladder) but there's definitely room for improvement.

Team building process:

[Image: snorlax_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a48za.gif] [Image: infernape_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49hf.gif]

I started with the offensive core of CB Snorlax and Nasty Plot Infernape, since they complement themselves really well: Snorlax can remove Pokemon like Chandelure that wall Infernape and soften up the opposing team to allow Ape to sweep, while Ape can remove physical walls that would otherwise be problematic for Snorlax.

[Image: salamence_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a4931.gif]

Then, I realized that I needed both a Water resist, although Snorlax can usually deal with them, and a Fighting resist, otherwise other Infernape or Conkeldurr would wreck my offensive core, so I added a Dragon Dance Salamence, which can also intimidate stuff.

[Image: doublade_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a43kt.gif] [Image: salamence_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a4931.gif]

Looking at my current team, I realized that Crobat and other flying types like Noivern and Yanmega were quite threatening, so I added a SD Doublade. I didn't want too much setup mons, so I replaced my old mence set with a Scarf Moxie one.

[Image: azelf_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a43cm.gif] [Image: florges_orange_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49nf.gif]

Finally, I needed hazards and a wall, and looking at my team, I thought that suicide lead Azelf and Wish-Pass Florges would fit nicely.

So here are the sets in detail:

[Image: snorlax_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a48za.gif]

Snorlax (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Earthquake/Fire Punch
- Crunch

Snorlax is a good wallbreaker/tank and is useful to soften the team to make Ape/Mence (or even Doublade sometimes) sweep easily. Return is the most powerful STAB attack on this set. I opted for it over Double Edge so it could last longer on the battlefield. Facade is my answer to burns or status in general and is very dangerous if you don't expect it. Earthquake allows it to hit Steel and Rock types in general, but Fire Punch allows it to OHKO mons like Escavalier that wouldn't take much from an Earthquake. Finally, Crunch is to hit Ghosts.

[Image: infernape_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49hf.gif]

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave

Infernape can wallbreak with his powerful Fire Blasts along with Nasty Plot, and can also sweep thanks to its good speed tier. Nasty Plot allows it to become really threatening, and people often expect physical ape, so you can catch them off guard. Fire Blast is quite obvious, Grass Knot allows it to kill weakened Suicune and Swampert, and Vacuum Wave can be used to kill faster but frail mons.

[Image: salamence_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a4931.gif]

Salamence (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp. Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Iron Tail

Salamence is mostly used mid-game to late-game to sweep and/or punch holes through teams with Moxie boosting its attack when picking up weakened foes. Dragon Claw is used when you know you will need to switch out afterwards, so you don't have to get locked in Outrage. Outrage is just a powerful nuke that destroys a LOT of things. Earthquake is used to hit Steel types and Iron Tail is to hit fairies like Florges and Slurpuff.

[Image: doublade_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a43kt.gif]

Doublade (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head

Doublade is a good sweeper due to Shadow Sneak giving it priority. It can also destroy a lot of things mid-game thanks to its good bulk giving it multiple occasions to Swords Dance, boosting its attack stat to really high levels. Shadow Sneak picks up weakened foes and is a good STAB move. Secret Sword is a good coverage move that allows it to hit Krookodile, which is very good when expecting an obvious switch. Finally, Iron Head is a decently powerful STAB move that can hit stuff like Florges and do a lot of damage to neutral targets.

[Image: azelf_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a43cm.gif]

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Flamethrower
- Taunt

Azelf is an excellent suicide lead that provides guaranteed Stealth Rocks while also acting like an anti-lead with the combination of Taunt, which prevents the use of hazards, setup or status and Flamethrower which destroys one of the most, if not the most common lead in UU : Forretress.
Explosion can take huge chips of you're opponent's health and give the opportunity for another mon the pick it off (A good combo is exploding and then bringing my Moxie Salamence).

[Image: florges_orange_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49nf.gif]

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Florges is pretty much the wall of my team, and it's really good at what it does. Aromatherapy allows it to be an amazing cleric and removing annoying burns on the likes of Doublade and Salamence, because while Snorlax can use Facade, they don't have any way to deal with burns. It can also remove annoying poison on itself. Moonblast allows it to not be completely shut down by taunt and is useful against Salamence, Haxorus and Hydreigon. Wish is extremely useful for healing itself and its partners and it is used along protects to ensure that Florges doesn't die before receiving the Wish.

Hope you like it, can't wait to see your comments. ^^
Anyone?
I'm a noob at competitive, but why not Hydregion to replace Salamance? It has a better offensive typing and can run mixed sets (i think)
Life only happens once. Make the most out of it.

I main Tracer for some reason...
My Friend Safari is Flying with Pidgey, Fletchiender and Swanna. Feel free to add me!

Also, my name is Hayden... Why am I Johnnyspyguy?
(Jun 6, 2016, 04:09 PM)Johnnyspyguy Wrote: I'm a noob at competitive, but why not Hydregion to replace Salamance? It has a better offensive typing and can run mixed sets (i think)

Hydreigon isn't a bad choice either, but its typing gives it a bigger weakness to fairy, and Slurpuff is enough threatening to this team already. Also, Mence hits a better Speed tier and Moxie allows it to be a better late-game sweeper. I feel that both could work pretty well, but I have more experience using Salamence. However, I will definitely try out Hydreigon, maybe it will turn out to be better on this team. Thanks for the idea @Johnnyspyguy ! ^^

Edit: After testing both teams a little more on showdown, I found that Mence was more effective.
You have a nice team here but I see a few flaws. One of the major flaws is that you have no means of stopping set up sweepers. Sweepers such as NastyPass/SwordsPass Celebi, Calm Mind Sylveon and Lucario(physical/special) will be giving this team a hard time not to mention well played wallbreakers like Mamoswine and offensive CM Suicune.

I wouldn't recommend running Banded Snorlax alongside a Choice Scarf Mence. Reason being you're forcing both to constantly switch. Provided that you don't have any hazard removal plus WishPassing isn't always reliable, the opponent can passively weaken your team to the point where a strong sweeper can pick off each Pokemon one by one

Switch Salamence for M-Sceptile. Sceptile takes on water types relatively well plus its dual STAB combination allow it to hit most of the tier for neutral. Plus it is the third fastest non boosted sweeper in the tier. Sceptile also gives you an immunity to Electric attacks.

Foretress would work better over Azelf as a hazard setter for it can set rocks and layers of spikes, spin them away and provide a slow pivoting option in Volt Switch. The slow pivoting allows you to safely bring in Salamence, Snorlax and Infernape.

Lastly, I would suggest running an Offensive variant of Suicune instead of Doublade to punch holes in teams more effectively to open way for Infernape/Snorlax/M-Sceptile to sweep

Quick Edit: If Suicune doesn't work out, try running a defensive Gyarados with Thunder Wave to slow down threats that outspeed your other mons
(Jun 6, 2016, 09:37 PM)Marcusube Wrote: You have a nice team here but I see a few flaws. One of the major flaws is that you have no means of stopping set up sweepers. Sweepers such as NastyPass/SwordsPass Celebi, Calm Mind Sylveon and Lucario(physical/special) will be giving this team a hard time not to mention well played wallbreakers like Mamoswine and offensive CM Suicune.

I wouldn't recommend running Banded Snorlax alongside a Choice Scarf Mence. Reason being you're forcing both to constantly switch. Provided that you don't have any hazard removal plus WishPassing isn't always reliable, the opponent can passively weaken your team to the point where a strong sweeper can pick off each Pokemon one by one

Switch Salamence for M-Sceptile. Sceptile takes on water types relatively well plus its dual STAB combination allow it to hit most of the tier for neutral. Plus it is the third fastest non boosted sweeper in the tier. Sceptile also gives you an immunity to Electric attacks.

Foretress would work better over Azelf as a hazard setter for it can set rocks and layers of spikes, spin them away and provide a slow pivoting option in Volt Switch. The slow pivoting allows you to safely bring in Salamence, Snorlax and Infernape.

Lastly, I would suggest running an Offensive variant of Suicune instead of Doublade to punch holes in teams more effectively to open way for Infernape/Snorlax/M-Sceptile to sweep

Quick Edit: If Suicune doesn't work out, try running a defensive Gyarados with Thunder Wave to slow down threats that outspeed your other mons

Hi @Marcusube ! Thanks for the suggestions, I tried the team on showdown and it works quite well. M-Sceptile and Forretress are really efficient, and while I'll miss my Doublade, Suicune is helping me out a lot! Those were great changes, thanks! ^_^
(Jun 7, 2016, 05:05 AM)le2017 Wrote:
(Jun 6, 2016, 09:37 PM)Marcusube Wrote: You have a nice team here but I see a few flaws. One of the major flaws is that you have no means of stopping set up sweepers. Sweepers such as NastyPass/SwordsPass Celebi, Calm Mind Sylveon and Lucario(physical/special) will be giving this team a hard time not to mention well played wallbreakers like Mamoswine and offensive CM Suicune.

Hi @Marcusube ! Thanks for the suggestions, I tried the team on showdown and it works quite well. M-Sceptile and Forretress are really efficient, and while I'll miss my Doublade, Suicune is helping me out a lot! Those were great changes, thanks! ^_^

Np :D @"le2017"