Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SUN/MOON] PFA Week 6 & 7 Results: Toronto Maple Leafeons
First of all, sorry I kinda dropped off the face of the forum. Been away a while because of my new job. Don't have quite a much free time, but with some short shifts lately, I decided it would be a great time to get back into it and fill you guys in on how things have been shaping up. Week 6 was my battle against BigEZ66. This is his first season of the PFA and he's been doing pretty solid. He's got a very scary team of pokemon. Lots of bulk for sure. Up to this point, I am 4-1 in my season record.

The Team Line-ups

My Team : M-Pinsir, Clefable, Zygarde-50%, Empoleon, Arcanine, Hitmontop, Vanilluxe, Dhelmise, Heliolisk, Jellicent, Malamar

BigEZ66 (Montgomery Marowaks): M-Venusaur, Zapdos, Haxorus, Primarina, Mienshao, Drapion, Koffing, Heatran, Alakazam, Seismitoad, Avalugg

The Game Plan

[Image: zygarde.gif]

Oryx (Zygarde) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Aura Break
Level: 50
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

This is a rather standard Dragon Dance set. Designed to muscle my way through the bulky threats on EZ's team. Nothing really wants to take Thousand Arrows, except for Avalugg. Extremespeed could be used to pick off weakened or faster Pokemon. Outrage with boosts could very well plow through his team, similarly to Thousand Arrows spam. Once I removed Heatran and (more important) Primarina, I wouldn't have much trouble at all.

The little bit of bulk I invested into Zygarde helps it take a Hidden Power from Life Orb Zapdos better. I took some points out of speed which, even after that, still leaves Zygarde speedy enough to outspeed an Adamant Choice Scarf Mienshao or an Adamant +1 after Dragon Dance/Choice Scarf Haxorus.

Offensive Calcs:

+2 252 Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 165-195 (93.2 - 110.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Seismitoad: 112-133 (52.8 - 62.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252 Atk Zygarde Outrage vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur: 186-220 (101 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252 Atk Zygarde Outrage vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 172-204 (87.7 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Koffing: 128-152 (87 - 103.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Suck it, Koffing!

Defensive Calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 12 HP / 4 SpD Yache Berry Zygarde: 91-109 (49.1 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 12 HP / 12 Def Zygarde: 120-142 (64.8 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Dragon Claw vs. 12 HP / 12 Def Zygarde: 164-195 (88.6 - 105.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Still a roll in my favour ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[Image: pinsir-mega.gif]

Ludwig (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Return
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

So you can probably tell by now that my goal was to overwhelm my opponent with hyper offense. This Mega Pinsir set has the potential to destroy his M-Venusaur/Heatran/Zapdos core. Of course, I would need to be wary of Choice Scarf Heatran and Zapdos, though the latter is quite uncommon. Can't underestimate your opponent in league format. After a calc to see how much +2 Rock Slide could do to Zapdos, I knew I wanted that on Mega Pinsir. Return is a very good STAB move. Allows me to beat down the great wall that is Mega Venusaur. Earthquake gives Mega Pinsir a way to beat Heatran. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best idea to have to two physical sweepers that are pretty similar. Especially since they are both weak to a good wall of his. Avalugg.

Offensive Calcs:

252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 158-188 (85.8 - 102.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 158-186 (80.6 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Zapdos: 210-248 (107.1 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
You'll find out my hidden tech for this calc later Smile
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Seismitoad: 207-244 (97.6 - 115%) -- guaranteed OHKO
after Stealth Rock

[Image: malamar.gif]

The Kraken (Malamar) @ Iron Ball
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Switcheroo

RELEASE THE KRAKEN! He's back to try and mess with some of my opponent's mons. Got Psycho Cut to hit his Mega Venusaur for some good damage. Superpower to set up some boosts, as well as to hit Avalugg and Heatran. Knock Off gets rid of some annoying items to deal with like Choice Scarf. And Switcheroo works with Iron Ball to ground a Flying/Levitate mon and cut their speed in half. A Pokemon like say Zapdos. I also liked this option for Haxorus, which could plow through my Pokemon with ease. Even Clefable because of Poison Jab Sad

I wanted to run Adamant initially, but didn't like the survival rate on Malamar if it were hit by a Signal Beam from Alakazam, which would be good coverage against a Pokemon that would otherwise wall it.

Offensive Calcs:

+2 4 Atk Malamar Psycho Cut vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 102-120 (55.4 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive Calcs:

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 148-175 (76.6 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Alakazam Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 156-184 (80.8 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

[Image: jellicent.gif]

Squishy (Jellicent) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 48 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Recover

I made this decently offensive as a way of dealing with Mega Venusaur, while still being able to wall some hits. Psychic and Psychium Z were chosen to help do some massive damage to Mega Venusaur, maybe even setting another Pokemon in the back for me to come out and sweep, like Mega Pinsir. It would either have to Synthesis or be finished off by something else. Scald was my move of choice to hit Heatran. It could get a burn as well on something like Haxorus or Mienshao maybe. Energy Ball was used to help Jellicent deal with Seismitoad. In combination with a Psychic, Seismitoad would fall. And Jellicent was 1 point in speed faster than the standard OU defensive set. Recover was used to help preserve Jellicent. Keeping it being a problem for my opponent. It's typing is good for switching in on certain Pokemon.

Offensive Calcs:

124+ SpA Jellicent Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Seismitoad: 192-228 (90.5 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
48+ SpA Jellicent Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur: 124-148 (67.3 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
48+ SpA Jellicent Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 86-104 (51.8 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive Calcs:

252 SpA Heatran Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 208-246 (100.4 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Knew I had to steer clear of this!
252 Atk Mienshao Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Jellicent: 88-104 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 158-188 (76.3 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 84-98 (40.5 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

[Image: clefable.gif]

Tatl (Clefable) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

The main purpose of this set was to help deal with EZ's physical threats, mainly being Mienshao and Haxorus. Mienshao is a pretty fast Pokemon that can usually spam Hi Jump Kick, Knock Off, and U-turn quite freely. It hits hard with the Reckless ability on Hi Jump Kick making it quite the threat whether it is Choice Scarf, Choice Band, or Life Orb set. And Regenerator can help it switch in and out and regain it's health. Haxorus is a Dragon Dance sweeper with a very high attack stat and a really good speed stat. It's access to Poison Jab makes it very difficult for me to deal with since my Unaware Clefable isn't as good this week as other weeks against Dragon Dance sweepers. My goal was to perhaps paralyze them and/or eliminate them with Moonblast. I invested all the way in Clefable's physically defensive bulk to get the most out of it. Wish Protect could help stall, regain health on Clefable, or scout what move he wanted to use on me. Rocky Helmet was the item of choice to help wear down Mienshao (as long as it wasn't Regenerator. But even then, it could still apply pressure to switch out) and Haxorus. Crippling either of them could lead to Mega Pinsir or Zygarde being able to beat them. Zygarde's base speed is 2 points lower than Haxorus', unfortunately.

Defensive Calcs:

252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 127-151 (62.8 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 61-73 (30.1 - 36.1%) -- 40.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 78-94 (38.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

[Image: empoleon.gif]

Neptune (Empoleon) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 236 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

To assist Clefable in helping to beat Haxorus, we have Empoleon. It was also my main form of hazard setting and removal. Ice Beam would allow it to Haxorus for some big damage. This scenario could occur through me predicting Haxorus to go for Poison Jab and switching into Empoleon, which is immune to it. Then, tanking an Earthquake with assistance from the Shuca Berry to hit Haxorus with Ice Beam for 66% or so. And Earthquake was my way of dealing damage to Heatran. Gotta abuse the crap out of that 4x weakness. It also gave me an okay way of hitting Primarina, which Empoleon walls pretty well.

Offensive Calcs:

4 SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Haxorus: 102-120 (66.6 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Kills Haxorus after 2x Clefable Rocky Helmet damage.

Defensive Calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 236 Def Shuca Berry Empoleon: 155-183 (81.1 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
INSANE!!
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 236 Def Shuca Berry Empoleon: 155-183 (81.1 -
95.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Since Empoleon is my Defogger.
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4+ SpD Empoleon: 126-150 (65.9 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The Aftermath

Here is the battle link: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cu...-565929806
Week 6: Toronto Maple Leafeons (AbruptFury) .vs. Montgomery Marowaks (BigEZ66)
Team EZ brought: Zapdos, Venusaur, Avalugg, Heatran, Mienshao, Alakazam
*Don't read the next spoiler or below unless you want to know the outcome or what I was thinking during the match.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't mess with John's potatoes. He is Landorus! Genie of the Earth! He gives sweet fertilizer to his Irish potato patches. Do not displease him.
Or it's a thousand years of famine for you land!

Turn by Turn Analysis

I accidentally hit the Back button on my mouse like halfway into talking about the battle. I'm kinda tired, so I'm not going to do it over again but will talk about my plays and my Pokemon's stats. I hope you understand.

In Conclusion

Good game to EZ! You played it very well. I, on the other hand, made a lot of mistakes during the battle. Switching out of my boosts on Malamar and taking a Toxic on Jellicent. Defogging on Heatran when it could just set up it's Stealth Rock again before going down. Getting too aggressive and setting up Zygarde in front of Zapdos. I could've played that more defensively and even just went for Thousand Arrows to gauge the damage output. I might've been confused with my Mega Pinsir calc or didn't consider that I couldn't survive two HP Ices from Zapdos. In the end, I tried to bank off of a flinch onto Avalugg to beat it, but it probably wouldn't have mattered if I had gotten it anyway if Alakazam was a Sash revenge killer and Mienshao was Choice Scarf. Which were probably both the case.

EZ's Zapdos got 4 kills. His Avalugg and Mienshao both got 1 kill. Avalugg received a death though.
My Zygarde and Malamar were the only two to get a kill, but they both died as well.

I did like my prediction game, however, that match. So I just gotta make safer plays next time and I might have the win. Also, considering that Avalugg is a threat might help too. Stay tuned for week 8! I will probably post that thread today or tomorrow. Currently, we're actually up to week 10. So I gotta play catch-up to get you guys informed. Informed of my dank sets Kappa. Hope you enjoyed!

What About Week 7?

My opponent was supposed to be Shawn AKA Pursuit Mic of the Indiana Pinsirs, but he was a no-show. Therefore, I was awarded two free kills for 3 of my Pokemon, at the expense of one death. I chose Clefable, Zygarde, and Vanilluxe to take them. Clefable and Zygarde haven't had the results I hoped they would and Vanilluxe is my MVP in league right now. So I wrapped up Week 7 with a 6-3 record! Nice and 2 wins per loss again.