Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Talonflame Moveset/ EVs
Hello all!

You all hate it when it's on the opposing team, but most of us love it when it's on our side.

What moveset should I do? I've seen the smogon page. I don't necessarily think that max speed jolly nature is necessary - Let's just shove a choice scarf on it as well, shall we xD? I'm aware that other people might have talonflames but if we put that speed investment in bulk, maybe we could not bother risking a speed tie, live a hit, hit it with recoil and then hit it with another attack.

I also hear that mixed flame is a thing. Its attack stats are nearly the same.
I was thinking something along the lines of...

Talonflame @ White Herb
Ability: gale wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Naughty or Rash
- Overheat
- Acrobatics
- Tailwind
- U-turn

In the past, I have created wacky sets like this - Rest/Snore mega Glalie - that I thought was great but everyone (rightfully) disagrees with it. Is this a good set? Or is the standard set better?

The game plan here is to overheat, a powerful (and recoil-free!) special-attacking move. At which point the white herb will activate and we get no-item boosted acrobatics. We have tailwind if we see the opportunity (Or if we're gonna go down and the speed is needed for the next switch) and U-turn because wynaut.

What do you guys think?
+1 rep to helpful replies
Thanks in advance!
I've ran a similar Talonflame set like this before only I ran Swords Dance over Tailwind. Initially it was good, however, major flaw was how underwhelming Talonflame's Overheat damage output was. Now to put things into perspective, Talonflame is known to be a mediocre attacker. It's niche is to get off a priority Flying type move before the opponent can attack. Outside of this, it serves very little purpose. Now Talonflame has the tools to be a good stallbreaker and wallbreaker as well as a sweeper. Thing is, Talonflame is extremely reliant on a damage boosting item such as Sharp Beak, Life Orb or Choice Band. Seriously, the damage output is increased by a huge margain with set up moves or items.

Good set, a bit too gimmicky though and it doesn't perform as well as other Talonflame sets
[Insert signature here]
ok 1 is this for Smogon or VGC.

2. This set isnt going to work mainly because of the lack of speed and priority without the ability gale wings.

3. White herb is trash get rid of it, Life orb will be much much better on it.

4.here is a better set, use this

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 50
EVs: 212 Atk / 44 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Brave Bird
- Quick Guard/U-Turn
- Protect/Taunt/Tailwind
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
Marcusube,

Once again, your reservoir of knowledge is very much appreciated. Thanks for the reply!

MudkipLegend,

My bad, it was supposed to be gale wings. (After thinking of the idea, I haphazardly put everything on showdown but forgot to change the ability)
The set is just for smogon, not VGC.
Thanks for the set Smile
(I really should check what I say before I post...)

+1 rep to both of ye!