Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

VCG: Looking for physical Mega-Tyranitar build help
Im running a Jolly mega Dragon Dance Tyranitar with 252 HP, 156 Def and 100 SPD im new to competitive battling and this is my first perfect 5IV breed pokemon and im just want to know if i should try another build and if any of the seasoned pro's have any advice (private message if possible) nice to meet everyone and thanks in advance Smile
While Mega Tyranitar isn't as viable in the current VGC 16 with all the primals, Xerneas, and Trick Room-based teams heavily present, the only other team I've seen used Mega Tyranitar is this one Japanese-based team, which I kinda don't count since it was in another format. My problem is using Mega Tyranitar is just that its extremely slow and can't abuse Sand Stream as well given how Primal weathers override all basic weathers, including Sand so you don't see some of Tyranitar's "traditional" partners like Excadrill in play. If you want to see the team here, I'll link it down below, however note that it was made extremely early in the format. Basically the idea is to abuse Yveltal's Dark Aura ability to power up Dark-type hits by about 1.3x. Since Mega Tyranitar has a strong base 164 attack, STAB Crunch with Dark Aura can hit some of the Pokemon in the format really hard. Again not the best team to use for the current meta, but at least something to try out.

If you are going to use Mega Tyranitar Outside of VGC 16 like Battle Spot Doubles (also VGC 15 but with a longer timer), then I highly recommend you to pair Tyranitar with things like Excadrill to abuse the sand, and Amoonguss to Rage Powder lethal attacks so Mega Tyranitar can at least Dragon Dance. Aegislash is another common partner as its immune to Fighting-type attacks and can use Wide Guard to block all spread damage. For Water-types, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon come to mind as Rotom-W can take on bulky water-types with its stab Electric-type moves and Gastrodon can absorb most direct water-type attacks targeted at Mega T-tar, bar things like Muddy Water/Surf. For an Ev Spread, a simple 252 attack, 252 speed, and 4 hp evs are ok, but note that its possible to adjust an ev spread that's optimal for a current format or metagame trends. 

For attacks, Crunch and Rock Slide are good STAB choices already so nothing much to do there. Dragon Dance is probably going to be M-T-tar's main method of setting up and boosting its already jacked up STAB options thanks to the additional Speed and Attack raise. The last move should always be Protect just to scout for potentia Super Effective moves, status, and to stall out field conditions (Trick Room, Tailwind, weather, screens). 

Well that's a good run down of what Mega Tyranitar can do. I'm sure you can find the appropriate pokemon / partners here by asking around in the forums.