Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Help With My Team
I'm brand new to competitive building and wanted some tips and tricks on building a team and breeding/ev training etc. IVs confuse me as well. All I know is I definitely want a couple of my favorite Pokemon on my team including Gyarados and Breloom (poison setup). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you need to learn how to breed and EV train, your best bet is to just look up a couple of videos about them on YouTube, that's how I learned. I wouldn't be surprised if Justin Flynn has covered a couple of tips on breeding and EV training.

I know a good Leech Seed/Poison Heal setup for Breloom

[Image: breloom_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a43ac.gif]

Leech Seed
Drain Punch
Spore
Protect

Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp Def/4 Atk

You can do a lot with Gyarados, mainly depends if you wanna mega or not.
A good way to understand competitive play is to go onto Pokemon Showdown. Its a pokemon battle simulator that you can make your own team on. It is really great to plan out your team and battle others. I suggest making a team there and fighting others before breeding your team in game, just so you know what your teams weaknesses are and you can adjust to them.
You can definitely build a good team around Gyarados and Breeloom. There is a great post about ev training on this site here EV train . For breeding you need to start off by getting a 6iv ditto. This means that in all 6 stats (HP,Atk,Def,SpA,SpD,Speed)  it has the strongest IV stat possible. If you need one I can trade one to you. There are also natures that every pokemon have, these increase and decrease stats depending on what nature. I have included a picture below. While breeding if you make a pokemon hold an everstone its baby will have the same nature as the parent. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. [Image: breeding-natures-pokemon-blackleviathyn-...axjz5s.png]
(Nov 17, 2014, 10:42 AM)Hero0ftime Wrote: A good way to understand competitive play is to go onto Pokemon Showdown. Its a pokemon battle simulator that you can make your own team on. It is really great to plan out your team and battle others. I suggest making a team there and fighting others before breeding your team in game, just so you know what your teams weaknesses are and you can adjust to them.

This is actually probably the way to go.
showdown is a fantastic starting point and get a friend to battle you in there (preferably someone who knows what there doing so you get the hang of whatever format you decide to play in) Smile
Wow thanks guys for all the replies.

@tygaa2 I would love to trade you for a 6 IV ditto if you don't mind. That's an incredible offer. I don't have much to trade but I do have a shiny Pidgey if you'd like it. Not sure on it's IVs.

You guys have been a tremendous help with the resources.
I'm new to competitive as well, and although i'm not good at team building, i have learned a few things by watching videos and playing showdown like hero0ftime said