Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] List of Top VGC '17 Threats (So Far)
I'm back! And I've brought you my list of the top threats in the VGC '17 metagame. Personally, I think anything could be a threat this year, but I decided to list those that have made an impact already, or that I strongly believe will have some success.

Tapu Koko Guide

side legendary stats, solid typing, INSANE speed, decent special attack to make use of it's good special movepool, Discharge spam (typically alongside Lightning Rod Pokemon and Ground types.), boost to Electric type attacks through ability, no sleep hax against user and grounded allies due to ability, access to Taunt, access to Sky Drop.

Best items? Anything that powers it up like Life Orb, Choice Specs, Expert Belt, etc., Choice Scarf, Focus Sash.

Tapu Lele Guide

side legendary stats, solid typing, very fast and hard hitter specially, high special bulk, boost to Psychic type attacks through ability, no priority moves can touch it or it's grounded allies due to ability, access to Calm Mind, access to Taunt, access to Skill Swap.

Best items? Anything that powers it up like Life Orb, Choice Specs, Expert Belt, etc., Choice Scarf, Focus Sash, Mental Herb, Leftovers, Assault Vest, Psychium Z.

Tapu Fini Guide

side legendary stats, solid typing, very bulky with offensive potential, boost to Fairy type attacks through ability, all Dragon type attacks are weakened by ability, no status can affect the user or it's grounded allies due to ability, access to Calm Mind, access to Scald (though it's ability hinders potential chances to burn), access to Haze, access to Taunt, access to Soak.

Best items? Anything that powers it up like Life Orb, Choice Specs, Expert Belt, etc., Leftovers, Wacan Berry, Rindo Berry, Kebia Berry.

Tapu Bulu Guide

side legendary stats, hard hitting, nice bulk, can be used on Trick Room/Tailwind teams to success, recovery through ability and an attack (Horn Leech), a few Ground type attacks are weakened by ability (including Earthquake), gains a small amount of HP back to the user and it's allies due to it's ability each turn, boost to Grass type attacks through ability, access to Taunt, access to Whirlwind.

Best items? Anything that powers it up like Life Orb Choice Band, Expert Belt, etc., Leftovers, Grassium Z.

Garchomp Guide

pseudo legendary (base stat total of 600), fast and hard hitting, good typing, good movepool, Rough Skin ability can break Focus Sash on Pokemon that make contact, Sand Veil can pair with sand teams for an evasion boost, access to Earthquake and Rock Slide.

Best items? Anything that powers it up like Life Orb, Choice Band, Expert Belt, Choice Scarf, Focus Sash, Assault Vest, Groundium Z.

Milotic Guide

very bulky, good special offense, recovery, access to Scald, access to Haze, can turn stat decreases into stat increases to Special Attack through it's ability/deters Intimidate spam.

Best items? Leftovers, Sitrus Berry, Maranga Berry, Wacan Berry, Rocky Helmet.

Alolan-Marowak Guide

huge offensive power, good bulk, great typing, good movepool, redirects and absorbs Electric type moves through it's ability, works well in Trick Room, mind games with Lightning Rod by simply being on your team, access to Will-o-Wisp.

Best items? Thick Club, Leftovers.

Oranguru Guide

bulky Trick Room setter, access to Instruct, good typing, an ability that prevents flinching, an ability that prevents it's teammate from damaging it, access to Light Screen and Reflect, access to Taunt, doesn't need to be run slow, access to After You.

Best items? Mental Herb, Sitrus Berry.

Porygon2 Guide

bulky Trick Room setter, recovery, offensive pressure, an ability that can copy one of your opponents' abilities, an ability that can boost either the user's Attack or Special Attack for a little extra damage output.

Best items? Eviolite, Mental Herb (a niche option for wasting opponent's Taunt or Encore).

Celesteela Guide

incredibly bulky, can be run physical or special (as well as defensive on either or both sides), good typing, good movepool, gains a boost to it's best stat for every knockout it gets due to it's ability, access to Leech Seed, access to Wide Guard.

Best items? Leftovers, Big Root, Occa Berry, Wacan Berry, Sitrus Berry

Krookodile Guide

relatively fast and good attacker, Intimidate support, access to Earthquake and Rock Slide, access to Taunt.

Best items? Anything that powers it up like Life Orb, Choice Band, Expert Belt, etc., Choice Scarf.

Alolan-Muk Guide

good bulk, good power, good movepool, very good typing/can be very hard to take out with boosts, one of the only Dark types that doesn't get destroyed by Fairys, access to Minimize, access to Snarl, access to Disable, access to Taunt, access to Quash, access to Stockpile, an ability that copies the ability of your fallen ally, ability that allows it recover really well from certain berries.

Best items? Anything that powers it up like Life Orb, Choice Band, Expert Belt, etc., Leftovers, Assault Vest, Shuca Berry, Figy Berry, Sitrus Berry, Poisonium Z.

*Still in progress*
Arcanine, Drampa and Torkoal?
[Insert signature here]
(Dec 21, 2016, 04:51 AM)Marcusube Wrote: Arcanine, Drampa and Torkoal?

(Dec 21, 2016, 04:00 AM)AbruptFury Wrote: *Still in progress*

All in due time 4Head I have not forgotten them
Thanks for making this guide @AbruptFury! I know you are still working on some of these Pokemon as clearly not everyone will list down every metagame or niche threat atm. That said, good job keeping some of the pointers short for each mon done so far.
Nihilego? Ruins tapu's, beats garchomp, beast boost, 103 speed, 127SpA, wow
(Dec 21, 2016, 09:07 AM)AbruptFury Wrote:

All in due time 4Head I have not forgotten them

Wink Should've thought as much. Thank you very much though for making this guide
[Insert signature here]