Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Mega Charizard Y Sun Team
Hey everyone. I know Charizard-Y teams are a dime a dozen, but unfortunately I don't have access to a lot of the good legendaries that help to support him. As such, I wanted to get a feel for what I could do with this slightly less powerful, but still good team.

[Image: d970a6b9.gif]

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Blaze (Draught)
Timid
100 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 148 Spe
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

The crux of the team, it's a pretty standard move pool. The EV spread was taken from what was discussed in the massive Competitive Metagame Thread. Timid over Modest because I feel it's best to outspeed, especially give there are three heavy Special Attackers on the team, so it's not completely crucial that he OHKO everything.

[Image: 20140404063233!Sylveon_XY.gif]

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Pixiliate
Modest
94 HP/ 120 Def/ 248 SpA/ 48 SpD
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast

The mass murdering fairy himself, Sylveon is here to counter dragons that ZardY can't do much against, not to mention Hyper Voice spam. Specs because I want all the damage I can get, and EV spread to be bulky over speedy, since Sylveon is slow anyway.

[Image: Ybnluez.gif]

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
Intimidate
Adamant
252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spe
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Helping Hand

Pretty standard support Top. EVs are set to be slightly bulky while also being able to OHKO common Fighting-weak mons (Kang, Heatran, etc). Sitrus Berry on the off chance that it doesn't get OHKO'd, but item is up for debate. Have been considering Rocky Helmet to do extra damage to Talonflames. Helping Hand is there to allow Sylveon and ZardY to surprise sweep with Heat Wave/Hyper Voice.

[Image: Milotic_XY.gif]

Milotic @ Leftovers
Competitive
Modest
252 HP/ 28 Def/ 160 SpA/ 64 SpD/ 4 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Icy Wind
- Protect

My speed control mon and my anti-Landorus/Salamence. EVs are set to be bulky while still allowing for some good damage against Landorus. Scald and Icy Wind are the standard support moves, and Protect and Lefties to allow it to stick around for a while.

160+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 208-248 (126.8 - 151.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(and that's without Competitive)

[Image: aegislash.gif]

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Stance Change
Quiet
252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpA
Hidden Power (Ice)
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
King's Guard

I got ridiculously lucky and snagged this in a Wonder Trade. It had a 25 in Def, but that gave it just the right IVs for Hidden Power Ice, which is huge to let it counter Landorus. Other than that, its a pretty standard SpA Aegislash. No Wide Guard unfortunately Sad

[Image: 20140814023848]

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Rough Skin
Jolly
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Pretty standard Life Orb Chomp. To address the one question people probably have, Poison Jab is just for coverage as I have Steel covered on Aegislash.

So that's what I have for now. Some things I've been considering are:

- Scrafty for Hitmontop. Biggest reason was Wide Guard, but Scrafty's bulk is appreciated.
- Something to replace Garchomp. He just covered my weaknesses well, so I added him. That and I needed a solid Physical attacker.
- Taunter: I have no taunt, so trick room could be annoying, but Aegislash is pretty slow.

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
This looks like a pretty solid team on paper. The only concern I have is with the ev spreads on some of the pokemon. Aegislash should NOT be 252/252/4. It needs to take advantage of its defenses rather than offenses. I suggest this set

Aegislash (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 128 SpA / 20 SpD
Sassy or Calm Nature (depending on trick room)
-Shadow Ball
-Flash Cannon
-King's Shield
-Wide Guard

here are some damage calculations for it:
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Aegislash-Shield: 140-166 (83.8 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Aegislash-Shield: 140-166 (83.8 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 20+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 138-164 (82.6 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 20+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 134-158 (80.2 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
116+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 20+ SpD Aegislash-Shield in Sun: 134-162 (80.2 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Next is Hitmontop which is an interesting pokemon. With intimidate it already has an advantage with physical attackers so you should invest more in special defense. Here is a set for it:
Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Quick Guard/Wide Guard/Protect
- Protect/Wide Guard/Quick Guard

And finally Garchomp which is a huge threat that you need to keep alive. Garchomp has some bulk to it so really just maxing out stats isnt necessary at all. Try this:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet / Roseli Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
12 HP / 232 Attack / 36 Special Defense / 228 Speed (12 HP / 198 Attack / 36 Def / 36 Special Defense / 228 Speed if using Roseli Berry)
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
What is your opinion on replacing Hitmontop with Scrafty? Either a quick guard set w/ sitrus or lefties or an assault vest set with knock off?
(Apr 24, 2015, 01:38 AM)Syltphademus Wrote: What is your opinion on replacing Hitmontop with Scrafty? Either a quick guard set w/ sitrus or lefties or an assault vest set with knock off?

While both have a weakness to fairy, Scrafty has a 4x weakness while Hitmontop only has a 2x weakness. This also adds a weakness to fighting types and neutral to bug but at the same time immunity to Psychic. This is really a matter of personal preference and you may want to ask more people because I am at a halt. I would go with Hitmontop simply for the fairy type but others may have a more valid reason to go with Scrafty.
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
Scrafty does have more bulk than Hitmontop but it can't use Wide Guard or Helping Hand. It has access to Drain Punch to keep it around longer, Quick Guard to stop Pranksters, Snarl to chop down those Special Attackers and Super Fang as an offensive option if it gets burnt. Not to mention that Scrafty resists Ghost and Dark and is immune to Psychic which is nice.

As mudkip said, it is a matter of personal preference. I would go Scrafty just for how much longer it stays on the field (if Sylveon and Gardevoir aren't there) and how good of a support it would be with its natural bulk and decent offensive stats.
[Insert signature here]
(Apr 24, 2015, 12:47 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Scrafty does have more bulk than Hitmontop but it can't use Wide Guard or Helping Hand. It has access to Drain Punch to keep it around longer, Quick Guard to stop Pranksters, Snarl to chop down those Special Attackers and Super Fang as an offensive option if it gets burnt. Not to mention that Scrafty resists Ghost and Dark and is immune to Psychic which is nice.

One of the reasons I'm okay with Scrafty not getting Wide Guard is due to Aegislash having it. I don't think it's necessary to have 2 mons with it. Also, I was considering a set like this for my Scrafty:

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry
Intimidate
Impish
240 HP/ 224 Atk/ 44 Def (Sitrus)
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard

Some damage calcs I ran with the common physical threats:

-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 240 HP / 44+ Def Scrafty: 85-100 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 240 HP / 44+ Def Scrafty: 86-102 (50.5 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 240 HP / 44+ Def Scrafty: 110-133 (64.7 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 44+ Def Scrafty: 112-135 (65.8 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 44+ Def Scrafty: 135-164 (79.4 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So assuming intimidate, I can survive just about anything. None of this includes Drain Punch healing either, so most of these are probably 3HKO. I could also run Assault Vest, but most special sweepers are either Sylveon or Heatran, which Scrafty dies regardless to Sylveon and can tank Heatran pretty solidly.

252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Scrafty: 79-94 (46.4 - 55.2%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO

It my opinion its a matter of do I want a better shot at OHKO a threat or being able to survive and annoy it. Personally I'm of the latter camp, so for now I'll go with Scrafty.