Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Mega Charizard Y team, please help
Hello guys!
*I'm sorry in advance if I've posted this in the wrong section*

My names Sheba987, it's nice to meet you!
I've been working on my mega charizard y team (VGC doubles) for a while and I've got the solid first five Pokemon who really work well together. However I can't figure out who the last one should be. Or Gyarados's item. What do you guys think the item should be, and what should the last Pokemon be?
But please, no legendary pokemon suggestions, as I would like to keep this team free from them, thank you!

Rhydon (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Level: 50
Shiny: YES
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 31/25/31/31/31/31
- Ice Punch
- Protect
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 31/?/31/31/31/31
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave

Whimsicott @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Helping Hand

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect
- Sleep Powder

Gyarados
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 31/31/31/?/31/31
- Iron Head
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Crunch

Just a quick run down as to why I have those pokes;

I find that having my Rhydon is a good switch in for my Gyarados and Charizard, because he can absorb the electric attacks which would normally kill them. Normally, I'd switch out the Pokemon, normally my whimsicott, into the Rhydon so charizard/Gyarados can have a free shot off while Rhydon protects them. He is also probably my favourite Pokemon out of this team, so please, don't suggest removing him. Even with his massive weakness to grass.

Venasaur works really well with chlorophyll, being able to out speed and put things to sleep. He is also really bulky, and work well as a switch in for my Rhydon. And seeming he has the poison coverage, he can easily take care of those pesky fairy types.

Whimsicott is amazing, even though she dies if you'd poke her with a tad of poison, she can still set up a tailwind or a helping hand before she goes. She also has taunt to help stop any trick rooms, or status moves. Normally, I switch into Rhydon if she's threatened or if I need her for later, because of the tankiness he offers Rhydon can easily live the shot.

Charizard. Well. It's charizard, one of my favourite Pokemon, and he just ruins with his heat wave, solar beam and air slash. Mind you, wide guard spams do get frustrating. But that's why I have whimsicott with the taunt.

Gyarados is really helpful if the sun runs out, or if I need the intimidate on one of their Pokemon. He's also bulky without the d-dance because he doesn't exactly have the time to set one up, he needs to normally get rid of one of their Pokemon who I know will be threatening the others. I've been considering using the white herb for him, so that the landorus intimidate drop is negated, then the waterfall will OHKO the landorus-IF it doesn't switch out and the sun is gone.

But yeah, that's my team so far!
Also-my apologies that part of the post is in blue, I was using my iPad and couldn't figure out how to make it not be blue.
Any feedback you guys have would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much guys!!
Overheat is a must on char y
#TeamForum

Why do you recommend overheat? Doesn't that harshly lower it's special attack?
may i ask why the IVs for rhydons attack is 25? is that a mistake and what does iron head do on gyarados like what does it hit? i'd probably replace it with something like earthquake or ice fang maybe depending on whats prominent in the metagame? although my apologies if those don't work well i haven't played doubles in a while
I'll try to analyze your team step by step:

Rhydon - i guess you have a 31 Atk IV but you want to use your shiny 25 Atk IV Rhydon. I can understand your decision even if it's not optimal, but it's not the main problem here. Eviolite raises Def and SpD x1.5 but if you have a low SpD it won't get a significant boost. I would recommend a 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 SpD spread so that you get a great SpD stat too after the x1.5 boost.

CharY - you may want to run a bulkier spread because CharY really lacks bulk on the physical side. I don't like the Timid nature, since after a Tailwind you want to hit as hard as possible (with a Modest nature of course) but..

If you want to stay Timid, this is a good set:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 164 SpA / 20 SpD / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Fire Pledge (if you want to use Grass Pledge on Venusaur) / Overheat (to hit and OHKO Aegislash through Wide Guard)
- Protect

# Outspeeds Jolly Breloom
# Survives Jolly Garchomp and Jolly Mamoswine Rock Slide
# Survives Modest Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor

Whimsicott - it's the faster Prankster in the game and you are not using its speed? You have to run a Timid nature + 252 Speed to outspeed any Thundurus-I. Focus Sash is the best item on it in this case.

Venusaur - if you really want to abuse of Chlorophyll, you have to invest in speed too.

Venusaur @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 60 SpA / 12 SpD / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain / Grass Pledge (if you want to use Fire Pledge on CharY)
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

# Outspeeds Adamant Choice Scarf Landorus-T and 20EV Suicune (after its Tailwind) by one point
# Survives Jolly M-Kang Double-Edge
# 148+ SpA Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Venusaur: 78-94 (41.7 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Gyarados - it's not a good counter to Landorus-T. In general, your team is really weak to Landorus-T (and Garchomp too) since a mix of Rock Slide and Earthquake hit your team really hard. Mmm.. Ice Fang has a better chance to KO Landorus-T so i would run it instead of Iron Head. 252 Atk and 252 Speed also in this case (i don't know why you are not EVsing your pokemon in Speed, that is one of the most important things in this VGC). For the item, i don't know. If you want an offensive set, you can run Life Orb or Expert Belt. White Erb is too situational, but you can test it too if you want.

Before choosing your last pokemon you should check out this: http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/?6y|112|3|547|130|

As you see, this team has so many weaknesses that the last pokemon cannot really cover, so you may want to try something else. My idea is to add Milotic instead of Gyarados and for the last slot, Bisharp.

Both Milotic and Bisharp scare off opposing Land-T because of their abilities (Competitive and Defiant), while adding the coverage you need in your team. You won't have an Intimidate anymore, but it's not a big problem.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Icy Wind
- Recover

This set can take an Adamant Double-Edge from M-Kang and a Modest Thunderbolt from Thundurus-T. Icy Wind is another form of speed control you need in your team.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Protect

There isn't much to say about this standard set.

This is the new type resistance table: http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/?6y...47|350|625
What do you think?