Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] My first competitive team
So I've done a bit of research already, figured out the pokemon and moves I think I'd like to use, using teamamagma's team builder, some poking around nugget bridge and youtube for some builds and have a vague strategy. There's a few things I'm not sure on, primarily items on some pokemon, and Nature/Ev's for most.

Here's my (very rough) team

Lopunny @ Lopunite
Limber/Scrappy
Nature: Probably Jolly
EVs 252Atk/4Def/252Spe
Drain Punch - I'd like to be slightly more survivable than Hi Jump Kick, and the accuraccy appeals to me
Ice Punch
Fake Out
Facade -instead of Return because most people will be trying to burn Lopunny anyway.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry? Life Orb? Choice Band?
Rough Skin
Nature: Probably Jolly
EVs 252 Atk/4SpD/252Spe
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Protect/ Iron Head if CB

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Serene Grace
Nature: not sure
EVs not sure
Follow Me
Roost
Air Slash
Heat Wave -I needed someone to carry Fire and it seems like this or Flamethrower

Amoongus @ Rocky Helmet? Black Sludge?
Effect Spore
Nature: Def or SpD?
EVs not sure
Rage Powder
Spore
Protect
Giga Drain

Scizor @ no idea
Technician
Nature: Adamant? one for Def/SpD?
EVs not sure
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Knock Off -Needed to find some place for this even if it doesn't get Technician
Protect

Rotom Wash @ Assault Vest
Levitate
EVs Hp/Def/SpA just not sure how much
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Hidden Power Ice
Shadow Ball

So the basic idea here is to bring Lopunny and Garchomp, along with whichever of Amoongus and Togekiss fits the opposing team better to enable Lopunny and Garchomp to remove threats, then whichever of Rotom and Scizor for cleanup. Very Basic, but I'm not sure where I need my EV's and Natures for most of the team because I'm not super familliar with what threats are out there.
Realize that your team is EXTREMELY weak to Ice, not to mention Psychic, Fire and Flying. The idea you have in mind is unstable because there are games where you can't carry both Lopunny and Garchomp and aside from them, this team doesn't go very far offensively and over compensates too much defensively.

Your Lopunny set is pretty standard, however, it would make more sense to run Low Kick over Drain Punch if you really want to score those KOs unto Pokemon like Kangaskhan. You aren't running Protect so there is no reason to run sustain moves.

Go Protect over Iron Head. You won't be killing any fairy types with Iron Head plus Earthquake's damage is relatively close to it. I suggest running Life Orb on Garchomp.

Togekiss really isn't necessary here because it under-speeds the core of your team, shares weaknesses with team mates and isn't carrying any support other than Follow Me. I suggested using Talonflame over Togekiss to give you more offensive options as well providing Quick Guard support to stop faster Fake Outs and Prankster Pokemon with Quick Guard.

The same thing goes for Amoonguss. Lopunny is weak to Flying and Psychic and Garchomp is weak to Ice, all of which Amoonguss is weak to. Your team would appreciate Spore a lot but can't fit in a slot for that because it only adds more common weaknesses. One thing your team lacks is speed control and checks to Intimidaters that try to slow down Lopunny and Garchomp. Also Garchomp has no safe switch ins other than Rotom-W. I recommend trying out Milotic. It provides great special defensive bulk, speed control via Icy Wind, a better check to Landorus than Lopunny can ever be and it has access to Scald which makes trimming down physical attackers easier.

Decide between Bug Bite or Knock Off and give Scizor Swords Dance. Swords Dance allows Scizor to get in a huge chunk of chip damage with Bullet Punch as well as OHKO Pokemon that take neutral or super effective damage from Bug Bite or Knock Off. Give this thing a Lum Berry with an Adamant nature and spread a bit of EVs into attack and the rest into defenses and HP.

Its best if you run Rotom with either a Rocky Helmet or Sitrus Berry. Assault Vest Rotom is downright bad. This stops it from checking physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp or protecting from double ups into its slot. Protect, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump, Will-o-Wisp is the standard set and there isn't any reason why you need to abandon it for this team. Either go Modest if you want it to be more offensive or Calm so it can withstand more Giga Drains, Solar Beams, Hyper Voice and so forth.
[Insert signature here]
Hmm, interesting, so perhaps something along the lines of

Amoongus->Milotic with Icy Wind/Scald/Recover/Protect More offensively EV'd since the rest of the team helps with bulk?
Togekiss->Clefable with Moonlight/Moonblast/Follow Me/Helping Hand
RotomW->RotomH since I've added a water type, and dropped fire coverage
Scizor->Aegislash Flash Cannon/Shadowball/King's Sheild/Wide Guard

So that other than the Lopunny and Garchomp there's no one who suffers intimidate, I gain some speed control with milotic, retain the follow me, which i would really like to keep on the team, but no longer share weaknesses, and I gain a couple more Immunity Switch ins.
I suggest staying away from the 252/252 spread for everything except Lopunny because there is very few attacks it can live. I have a couple build for you that will help you out a lot.
Togekiss@ Sitrus Berry
Serene Grace | Bold
252 HP / 116 Def / 4 SpA / 60 SpD / 76 Spe
– Air Slash
– Follow Me
– Tailwind
– Protect

The EV spread allows Togekiss to withstand Life Orb Bisharp’s Iron Head and allows Sitrus Berry to activate after Super Fang. The Speed EVs allows it to get the jump on defensive Rotom, letting Togekiss set up Tailwind or go for a flinch. I put the rest of the EVs into Special Defense, as Togekiss isn’t really there for damage. I got this set from Nuggetbridge which I suggest using if you are just starting to get into competitive battling. Not saying these forums arent good, just saying alot of the battlers here are pretty experienced. Here is the site
http://nuggetbridge.com

As for the Amoonguss I have found 2 sets that may help you alot.

#1:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
– Giga Drain
– Rage Powder
– Spore
– Protect

This is very bulky and can dish out a lot of damage without even attacking. For instance, Talonflame uses Brave Bird: this ammongus survives and Talonflame takes recoil and Rock Helmet damage. Thats already close to 50%. Plus you can put something to sleep after that and leave the Talonflame in easy Sucker Punch KO range.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Regenerator | Sassy
188 HP / 164 Def / 156 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
– Spore
– Rage Powder
– Giga Drain
– Protect

This one is more of a trick room counter and has more bulk due to the evs being more spread out.

I suggest running life orb scizor and using it with a rage powder from Amoongus and getting up a free swords dance and use that priority bullet punch. This can also play mind games with the opponent because he then needs to predict the priority for moves suck as quick guard.

Scizor @life orb
Technician
Adamant
28HP/252Atk/228 Speed
-Bullet Punch
-Knock off/Bug Bite
-Swords Dance
-Protect

As for Rotom Wash i dont suggest Assault vest at all. It isnt very good on it and Rotom is an asset for moves like T Wave and Will-O-wisp. For Rotom i would run leftovers and this spread.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp/Thunder wave
- Protect

Hope this helped and good luck in the future :D
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug