Poll: Do you think Alomomola will be viable in VGC 2017?
Yes!
No...
Maybe?
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Alomomola Takes Priority! - with 0kamii
[Image: tumblr_ohjvv6Ttbb1sqehnzo1_500.gif]

Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, back with my second unconventional VGC analysis of an underused mon. Alomomola!

Since doing my competitive analysis of Emolga a few months back, I've been meaning to find a worthy candidate to try my hand at it again, and after several months of searching, it seems I finally found a worthy subject. I'll admit that on the surface, Alomomola doesn't look like much and is remembered solely as Ninetendo's missed opportunity to show Luvdisc some much needed attention. But as I stated in my latest analysis, if Emolga has the potential to bring diversity to the VGC 2017 metagame, then I fully intend to try and bring it out of this mon too. Going into this post, I'd also like to make everyone fully aware that I haven't used Alomomola in any tournaments, only Pokemon Showdown and Battle Spot. With those disclaimers out of the way, let's jump into my newest underrated star, Alomomola!

Alomomola takes priority! But let's see how:

Alomomola, the Caring Pokemon, was introduced in Generation 5 and is a pure Water-Type. Its overall stats are mediocre at best, but that doesn't mean it's useless. Quite the contrary, the thing that initially drew me into Alomomola was its monster HP stat. Alomomola has a base HP of 165, capping at 272 at lvl. 50. Even with no IVs or EVs, Alomomola's HP comes out to 225, giving it significantly more health than the other common VGC 2017 tanks Snorlax (base 160) and Celesteela (base 97). Unfortunately for our fishy friend, that's where Alomomola's exceptionalities end. It's Attack, Defense, and Speed are doable at best, and its Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense are practically microscopic. However, this does not necessarily rule out Alomomola as a usable VGC 2017 teammate. With a base HP stat of 165, this fish has the ability to sponge most non-STAB hits with relative ease, though recovery moves like Wish are always appreciated.

Moving into Alomomola's abilities, it has three solid choices. Healer, Hydration, and Regenerator. Healer has a 30% chance to heal partner pokemon of status conditions, which isn't bad at all, but a bit situational. Hydration only works for Weather Teams, as it cures Alomomola itself of staus conditions in the rain. And finally, probably the most useful ability is Regenerator. This nifty ability restores Alomomola's HP by 1/3 of it's maximum health every time it switchs out of battle. As most VGC players know, swithcing is a crucial part of battle. Having a pokemon with an ability that activates upon switching is extremely useful, especially once we get into the movesets below and we look into how it's complimentary to it's stat distribution. Now this wouldn't be a true competitive analysis if I didn't acknowledge Alomomola's flaws, and while I already alluded to its subpar stats, Regenerator is not without its flaws. Once people see Alomomola, unless you have a Weather Team, they're going to instantaneously know that you have Regenerator, as it is the best ability for this fish by far. They'll likely predict the switch when Alomomola's health gets low, and correct predictions usual decide whether the player wins or loses. Something to consider, but I hardly thinks it's a dealbreaker for Alomomola.

Having covered abilities, I touched on its movepool a little while ago, but I think it's time to go in-depth. Alomomola gets more than you think it does, and at the same time less than you'd expected. Alomomola has access to a wide range of support moves that have seen an increase in usage thanks to the recent metagame favorites. Some of these moves are Wide Guard, which protects Alomomola and its teammates from the ever common Discharge, Earthquake, Blizzard, and Muddy Water, Helping Hand, which was made famous on the bulky variant of Arcanine once Celesteela started to see a drop in use, and Soak, which is often seen on Pelipper and paired with an Electric-Type for massive damage. Along with these, Alomomola as gets Wish, as I mentioned earlier, which can pass its healing effects to an ally upon swithcing out, which works well with Regenerator. Other notable moves that Alomomola gets, while not particularly meta, are Mist, Pain Split, Healing Wish, Light Screen, Swagger, and Safeguard. Experiment with these at your own discretion.

As with Emolga, Alomomola is entirely a support pokemon, and it's not going to be dishing out any significant damage. If you want, you could run Aqua Jet on Alomomola, just for some last minute chip damage, but I think it's better to leave the attacking to your other mons. One thing I would like to include in this analysis is the reason for its title. Why did I call this analysis, "Alomomola Takes Priority!"? Simple, most of the moves I listed above are priority moves, meaning that they will always go first, in and out of Trick Room, unless an Extreme Speed mon is on the field like Arcanine, or Dragonite. This gives Alomomola unbelievable utility, even on hard Trick Room teams. While it is true that people enjoy using Trick Room tanks like Snorlax because it can hit hard as well as be hit hard, Alomomola has the potential to help other mons hit just as hard with moves like Helping Hand, which if you don't know, multiplies a partner's move's power by 1.5x. That the same as getting STAB, and it stacks! Something to consider.

Instead of rambling on this time about which mons Alomomola should and shouldn't be used against, I've decided to include the damage calculations for a possible moveset that I've created. Again, please keep in mind that I'm in no way trying to push Alomomola onto unwanting players. As with Emolga, I'm merely bringing to attention an interesting idea as presented by an underrated mon. If you have no desire to use Alomomola, then don't! But I know I certainly enjoy using it, and if you don't battle with the pokemon you love, then what's the point of battling at all? Here's the first set:

Alomomola (Set 1)

[Image: CqEb2AXUsAI8bcu.png]

Nature: Calm (-Atk/+Sp. Def)
Ability: Regenerator
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Sp. Def
Moveset:
Protect
Wide Guard/Light Screen
Helping Hand
Aqua Jet/Wish

I know that this spread of EVs may look basic, but frankly, I do think it's the best use of them. As I said earlier, Alomomola doesn't come with very much natural bulk outside of its absorbent HP stat. You'll find the Defensice Calculations for this set below. As it's not designed for offense I saw no reson to include Offensive Calculations. If you want, you can run the calculations yourself if you're curious (https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/). The link provided will take you to the calculator.

Defensive Calculations

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola in Electric Terrain: 276-328 (101.4 - 120.5%) - guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Discharge vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola in Electric Terrain: 179-213 (65.8 - 78.3%) - guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 60-71 (22 - 26.1%) - 8.4% chance to 4HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 182-218 (66.9 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Discharge vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 120-143 (44.1 - 52.5%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Alomomola: 120-142 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Alomomola: 60-71 (22 - 26.1%) -- 6.6% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Alomomola: 54-64 (19.8 - 23.5%) -- possible 5HKO

252 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 102-120 (37.5 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage

252 SpA Ninetales-Alola Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 102-120 (37.5 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Alomomola: 236-278 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Alomomola: 204-240 (75 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Lilligant Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 322-382 (118.3 - 140.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Lilligant Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 248-294 (91.1 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

-2 252+ SpA Lilligant Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 126-150 (46.3 - 55.1%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Raichu-Alola Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 140-168 (51.4 - 61.7%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

12+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 162-192 (59.5 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

12+ SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 36-42 (13.2 - 15.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever

28+ SpA Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 180-212 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

28+ SpA Vikavolt Discharge vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 116-140 (42.6 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

28+ SpA Vikavolt Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 90-106 (33 - 38.9%) -- 7.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Togedemaru Zing Zap vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Alomomola: 134-162 (49.2 - 59.5%) -- 73.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Togedemaru Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Alomomola: 23-28 (8.4 - 10.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever

252+ SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 236-282 (86.7 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Oricorio-Electric Revelation Dancer vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 79-94 (29 - 34.5%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ SpA Oricorio-Electric Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 144-171 (52.9 - 62.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Whew! That took considerably longer than expected, but I'm certain I covered most if not all of Alomomola's weakness in the current metagame. You'll notice a lot of OHKOs and 2HKOs, but most of these are from Electric-Type mons like Tapu Koko that are well renowned for packing a punch. I don't find it anything to worry about, and you'll see why later. Last thing I want to mention about the calculations is that I omitted caculations from Tapu Bulu, and here's why: Tapu Bulu always OHKOs Alomomola. No matter combination I tried, Tapu Bulu put that fish to shame, so I figured there wasn't any point in putting it above. So word to the wise, if you intend to use Alomomola, stay away from Bulu!

The last thing I wanted to cover in this analysis, which is something I didn't do for Emolga, are possible partners for Alomomola. As it is predominantly a supportive mon anyway, it won't be doing any attacking and will need a support mon to support it while it charges onto the front line to aid its teammates. Here's two suggestions:

Alomomola Partner 1

[Image: d088f42b9526f9228352f8f96382a48f4902d116_hq.jpg] [Image: CqEb2AXUsAI8bcu.png]

This crafty pair utilizes the same synergy that works so well for the Togedemaru/Gyarados core that seems to have gained popularity since the appearance of a Togedemaru in Alex Underhill's 1st place team at the Collinsville Regionals. Lightning Rod covers Alomomola's weakness to Electric, which hindered it so much earlier, and with the inclusion of Aqua Jet onto Alomomola's moveset, it can hit those pesky Fire and Ground-Types on which Togedemaru is forced to switch out. Togedemaru's Fake Out can also be used to stall pokemon that threaten itself and Alomomola, which in turn can be boosted with Helping Hand. Granted, it won't be KOing anything, but there's never anything wrong with chip damage, especially since both of these pokemon can take a hit.

Alomomola Partner 2

[Image: 200px-Hiori_Lucario.png] [Image: CqEb2AXUsAI8bcu.png]

Wait! Stick with me! I'm not crazy, just hear me out! I know that the dichotomy of Fire/Water working together seems like just the opposite of synergy, and I'l be the first to admit that it's lacking a bit in versitility. However, the reason I'm even suggesting this partner is because Helping Hand + Eruption = DAMAGE! Lots and lots of DAMAGE! Torkoal's Eruption already hits super hard thanks to its Drought ability, but since Alomomola won't be running Water-Type moves anyway, using Helping Hand on an already Sun-boosted Eruption will spell certain doom to just about anything on your opponent's side of the field, even if it's resistant. The Torkoal/Lilligant/Oranguru core is already about as unconventional as it gets, so why not add to the chaos with a 1.5x Eruption? Also, Torkoal's Eruption covers Alomomola's Grass-Type weakness, and protect it from the dreaded Momo Bane, Tapu Bulu. Food for thought, methinks.

Before I wrap up this analysis, I want to include one last set that I've been toying around with on Pokemon Showdown. This set features relatively the same EVs as before, which results in similar damage calculations, I just like to enjoy the look on people's faces when their pokemon is priority killed by an Alomomola with Aqua Jet! Have a look!

Alomomola (Set 2)

[Image: CqEb2AXUsAI8bcu.png]

Nature: Adamant (+Atk/-Sp. Atk)
Ability: Regenerator
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP/ 12 Atk/ 4 Def/ 248 Sp. Def
Moveset:
Protect
Wide Guard
Helping Hand
Aqua Jet

Frankly, I have a feeling that this set isn't going to be VGC viable at all, but I still think it's absolutely hilarious. I've always loved unconventional strategies, and I have to say that this is one of the most unorthodox I've ever concocted. This set is nifty for picking up the KO on Arcanines that have survived Earthquake with minimal health, and still provides utility thanks to Wide Guard and Helping Hand. Try it out if you want, but I think the first set is the better option.

In conclusion, like Emolga, I think Alomomola has a lot of potential. By no means is it S-tier, A-tier, or heck maybe even B-tier, but neither is Kommo-o and we still see those in use. Eevee too! But anyhow, if you want to call me out on this analysis, as people have before, feel free. Nothing in this post is meant to dissuade people from using other higher tier pokemon, nor is it meant to revolutionize the metagame. I just relish the idea of seeing all the unconventional mons get some love, and if Emolga has the potential to be a star, then why not Alomomola too? Well, that's all for now. I look forward to analyzing another underused mon in the future, and I'll keep this post as well as my Emolga post updated with any new information I find. Thank you all so much for reading, and I hope you all find luck in your VGC 2017 endeavours! Battle onwards!

- 0kamii

Update: 5/9/2017 - 9:46am

Despite my best efforts, some of the pictures I'm using don't want to show up when viewing this post on mobile devices like smart phones and tablets. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this problem, as it doesn't seem to be an issue with my other post. If anyone has any tips on how I can improve the quality of these analyses and help provide better visualization outside of inserting pictures, please let me know. I apoliogize for any inconvenience and hopefully I'll figure out a solution soon.

- 0kamii

Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Dang, you're good at this stuff. I'm trying to get into competitive, and your posts are a HUGE inspiration. You really need more credit. Giving you a rep because you're INCREDIBLE.
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@RetroTyphlosion Thank you so much for the feedback, Retro! I appreciate the rep too. To be honest I'm still struggling with the formatting on this website, because no matter how many times I seem to change it, the post just goes all wrong. I never know how it looks until I post it, and then I'm scrambling to fix the weird layout or crashed pictures. I'm glad it didn't impede your reading experience, and I thank you again for the rep!

- 0kamii

Great post @0kamii! It's amazing to see players being innovative in making Pokemon viable to diversify the metagame!

Alomomola is something I've tried before in VGC'15 but it didn't work out very well because of how offensive the metagame was and how little Alomomola did on the field. Because of the amount of spread moves I had it on my team for Wide Guard utility as well as a speed control option in Icy Wind. Knock Off and Protect as last moves for utility of course.

In a VGC'17 perspective, with the main monsters of the metagame being able to check or counter Alomomola, will it really survive for longer than the first turn? Even if it does, how much of an impact will it make on a game? With better Water types out there such as Araquanid, Tapu Fini and Milotic out there who carry more damage output, more diverse movepool and abilities that turn the tide of a battle, why use Alomomola?

The main fear is that using Alomomola would take up a slot that could be filled by a Pokemon that can perform its utility better
[Insert signature here]
Hey @Marcusube. You raise some very good points. I acknwoledged Alomomola's weaknesses in my analysis, and I fully admit that this mon is lacking defensively. However, I think Alomomola still dserves a chance. Matter of fact, during testing for this post on Pokemon Showdown, very few opponents struck Alomomola first because they figured it was useless. Imagine their surprise when it used Wide Guard and blocked Earthquake, Discharge, and on occasion Blizzard. Sure, it would then be targeted, as the opponent then realized how troublesome it could be. The test battles I ran showed that trainers thought little of Alomomola, which is about what I expected might I add, ultimately giving me the edge I needed to offput them. It's unorthodox, I know. And even if you tinker with Alomomola and it turns out not to work for you, that's perfectly okay! Like I said, it's not meant to be revolutionizing, and I'm still trying to tinker with new Emolga strategies and now Alomomola as well.

So to answer your main concerns concisely: Will it survive turn one? In my experience, yes. Almost always. How much impact will it make? That will depend on the skill of the player. Personally I'm terrible with prediction, but using Helping Hand always gives my moves the extra boost I need to pick up the KO, same with the protection of Wide Guard. Milotic, Fini, as far as I know, don't get these moves and rely on their own strength. Araquanid does get Wide Guard and Soak, but my main issue with that is its weakness to Rock-Type moves. Rock Slide is very common, as is Gigalith with Stone Egde. My fish doesn't have that weakness. Why use Alomomola? I can't say why you should use it, least not for reasons already covered above. I can tell you why I use it...because she works! Smile Is she the best however? I guess we'll just have to see, won't we? (My personal Alomomola is named Kanalu, that's why it's a she.)

Thanks so much for the feedback, and I appreciate the inquiry. If you want, feel free to watch my battles on Pokemon Showdown. The name's Kayaba Ao. Best wishes to you and your VGC experiences!

- 0kmaii

I know I already posted on this thread, but I'm going to post again. Okamii, you really are a great player. You really inspire me to try my best (like no one ever was?) to be a great Pokemon player. I really am trying to get into competitive, and I have created a team for the VGC rules battlespot that totally kills. It's 100% modeled after Trick Room, and it absolutely sweeps. After about 10 fights, my record was about 8--2, which for me is pretty dang good. But anyway, you have been  a great inspiration to me to try my hardest with that team. If I could rep you again, I would. Keep your good work up! Who knows? Maybe our names will be on a VGC bracket someday.
-RetroTyphlosion

@RetroTyphlosion Sorry, I didn't respond earlier. I've had quite a few things in development. But...wow. I can't begin to thank you enough for the compliment, Retro. Congratulations on your team's success. How's it been doing since? Surely you've improved it, and I'd love to know the mechanics behind your team, especially if I've been helping you out. At least indirectly. And who knows, maybe our names will be on the VGC bracket! Only time will tell, but I look forward to seeing our names there together, if and when that comes to fruition. Battle onwards, amigo! Smile

- 0kamii

(May 24, 2017, 12:38 PM)0kamii Wrote: @RetroTyphlosion Sorry, I didn't respond earlier. I've had quite a few things in development. But...wow. I can't begin to thank you enough for the compliment, Retro. Congratulations on your team's success. How's it been doing since? Surely you've improved it, and I'd love to know the mechanics behind your team, especially if I've been helping you out. At least indirectly. And who knows, maybe our names will be on the VGC bracket! Only time will tell, but I look forward to seeing our names there together, if and when that comes to fruition. Battle onwards, amigo! Smile

- 0kamii

@0kamii Well, glad my compliment made you smile! But anyways, since you asked about my team......
My Trick Room team uses the same setup that we've seen a lot of this Metagame. That is, Porygon2 as my main setter. This Porygon2 is different from most other Porygon2s, however. You see, it has a Modest Nature, and nearly 252 ev's in Spec. Atk. Now, I know you are probably thinking about how dumb that is, but let me continue. Porygon2 has enough bulk to survive nearly anything, even though I haven't put too much investment into its defenses. Heck, I'm living through STAB Z-Earthquakes from Garchomp with decent amounts of HP left in the end.What does this accomplish? It means that P2 is a huge wall, that honestly may be my best attacker. Seriously. It OHKO'S ALL THE TIME. Anyways, though, it's movement is the standard one (Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Recover, and the aforementioned Trick Room). Holds the Eviolite.
What do you think so far? Do you like it? I'll probably tell you more later. Personally, though, Porygon2 is probably my favorite thing on this team.

@RetroTyphlosion I love the sound of a Sp. Attacking duck! It's different, unique, innovative, and who am I to say it doesn't work? If you are telling me that it is, then why shouldn't I believe you? I would definitely like to hear more, because it almost sounds like you're running one of those infamous 'anti-meta' teams. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be curious to find out, though.

Also, since I have your attention, remember that post you made on my 1st Place team forum? Why'd you think I genned my mons? I'm a breeder, I breed everything from scratch and raise them myself. I'm a strict advocate of legitimate mons, not legal ones.

- 0kamii

@0kamii So, to answer your question about Genning....
Well, I first thought that you might be a Genner when I saw that you play VGC. Many competitive players anymore just gen their Pokémon in, and don't breed or anything else. I also thought you might be a genner when you said that you set your Ninetales to have certain Hidden Power IVs. When I saw that word, I thought "Oh, genner".
Anyways,though, hope that clears up some confusion. I feel bad that you worried about my comment. On a other note, I'm hopping on my 3ds right now to play some rating battles with my Trick Roomians. I'll let you know how it goes! Wish me luck!

EDIT: Well, I just barely won one of my fights. It was probably the craziest one I've ever done. You gotta see it to believe it. It's public online with the name WJDG-WWWW-WWW7-4F85. Trust me, you need to see it. And yes, my Tapu Koko is legit.