Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

My battle with Verlisify
So as you may/may not have known i battled one of my favorite Poketubers. ((Besides Justin)) i battled Verlisify. At the begining I thought I lost the entire thing but thanks to Umbreon and Torkoal I was able to succeed. Just to let you know this was a team I kinda slapped together. This was before I finished breeding and I couldn't let the opportunity pass. But anyways he uploaded the battle today.

http://youtu.be/6WsJjLFb210

Like I said my team was just slapped together. This was back when I used my Xatu to great success and felt a little cocky. But this battle was the highlight of the month when it comes to pokemon. So GG Verlis.
*rolls eyes*
[Insert signature here]
I liked it. Torkoal is one of my favs, so GG

(May 11, 2015, 05:18 PM)Marcusube Wrote: *rolls eyes*

Ditto.
(May 11, 2015, 11:25 PM)The Great Stag Wrote:

Ditto.

What's wrong with Verlis? He might not be the best battler but he gives me confidence to bring my own pokemon and not use the same sets as most people. He is my pokemon inspiration. I am sorry if you guys dissagree but to me he his my hero.
I looked at Verlis' Pokemon. His sets were decent. The problem is he made a lot of misplays without even taking track of his actions which in turn gave you the momentum. Not saying it's because of Verlis that I'm disappointed, it's just the battle
[Insert signature here]
(May 12, 2015, 07:06 AM)Marcusube Wrote: I looked at Verlis' Pokemon. His sets were decent. The problem is he made a lot of misplays without even taking track of his actions which in turn gave you the momentum. Not saying it's because of Verlis that I'm disappointed, it's just the battle
Ok I will give you that and I also did a lot of miss plays like the time I sent mega Altaria to fight scarfkiss and lost my mega immediately. And the time I should have payback end the Blastoise instead of toxic. But I do see where you are coming from. And you have to remember that he said it was a long day of battling and I was in the stream it was a really long day of battles and I was one of the last people he battled that day. So it's kinda understanndable. If you are tired then you won't play as well.
(May 12, 2015, 07:55 AM)naitre Wrote:
(May 12, 2015, 06:51 AM)Curtistharder Wrote:
(May 11, 2015, 11:25 PM)The Great Stag Wrote:

Ditto.

What's wrong with Verlis? He might not be the best battler but he gives me confidence to bring my own pokemon and not use the same sets as most people. He is my pokemon inspiration. I am sorry if you guys dissagree but to me he his my hero.

My issue with Verlis is his attitude and lies. He claims to have been an undefeated VGC singles champion, something that doesn't exist, when he actually only won in a little local VGC tournament in his town. He has a huge chip in his shoulder over the Smogon community and likes to poke at them with a stick, and then runs away crying and pointing fingers when someone finally retaliates. He has a massive victim complex and his attitude isn't conductive to growth in the pokemon community. There's no reason to slander and be so nasty to another community of players when it doesn't affect you. If you don't like how Smogon players choose to play the game, the simple solution is to not play by Smogon rules. Instead, he spreads misinformation and lies about the Smogon community and tries to pass his misperceptions as facts and truth. He blames the community for his misfortunes in life without looking at himself and what he's done. To be fair, though, this all happened a couple years ago, and I have no idea if he's changed. I don't keep up with him or pay any attention to him because his play style just doesn't benefit me in any way. If he's cleaned up and made his apologizes, that's fantastic and takes a lot of guts.

Competitive pokemon is a hard world to break into because of a lot of the elitism that goes on in the community. This community crafted by Justin is the most welcoming one I've ever seen, and it's part of the reason why I've become so loyal to it. It really bothers me to see new players led astray because of someone else's personal vendetta, or be laughed at because they're new to the scene and completely written off for no reason. Don't tell a new player that Stockpile Drifblim is 2OP2handle when they're trying to go into high level competitive play, because it really is only going to backfire on them. Creativity is awesome and I love seeing people come up with new sets, but the fact is, not everything is viable at competitive level play. This is why you see so many of the same Pokemon high on the tier list in tournaments.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with looking up to Verlis if you're a fan of his play style. Congratulations on winning! I'm sure it feels awesome to have battled your idol and won Smile We all make bad plays here and there, and the only thing you can do is try to learn from them, which you seem to be doing. It helps you grow as a battler. There were some misplays here and there, but at the end of the day, what matters is that you won.
http://youtu.be/gLRTd4Delvg He has made an oppology video a while ago.
Ok now that I know people will agree with me and not dish out all the hatred, time to speak. As most know I hate Verlis KappaHD. Not only are his sets horrendous, but they are also stolen from the smogon forums. For those who dont know Smogon is a community made league that regulates singles battling. They try to balance the meta game making everything try to be fair thus banning certain pokemon to the ubers tier. THE COMMUNITY VOTES THEY DONT CHOOSE. Verlis is notorious for completely shitting on Smogon. (Sorry for foul language) As for myself I have decided to mainly battle in the NU tier of Smogon and VGC, but i mainly battle VGC so I am not biased to any set of rules. Verlis however chooses to **** on Smogon for banning certain pokemon such as Greninja and Mega Mawile. He completely bashes them in many videos of his and complains on how bad they are. Now for the man picture. Verlis takes smogon sets and claims he made them his own. For instance, he made a Primape build for VGC14 (who wasnt even VGC legal in 2014) and claimed it to be his own. The set was Choice scarf Adamant nature defiant ability and used the moves earthquake, stone edge, close combat, and u turn with max evs in attack and speed. NOt only is this s singles set but it is and has been the standard smogon set for years. Dont believe me, watch some of Haydunn's gen 4 (2007-2011) NU wifi battles. That isnt the only reason we hate Verlis however. Verlis lies to EVERYONE. He claims he won a regional and got invited to worlds but "chose not to go." I dont know about you but if i got a free trip to pokemon worlds id cancel whatever i had even if i wasnt battling. He is a liar and a cheat even stooping to lows such as promoting his own channel during Justin's streams! It isnt that we hate him because hes a furry or because most of the internet does, or even just for shits and giggles. We dislike Verlis because of what he does and how he does it.
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
(May 12, 2015, 10:38 AM)naitre Wrote:
(May 12, 2015, 09:52 AM)MudkipLegend Wrote: THE COMMUNITY VOTES THEY DONT CHOOSE.

The council does push its own agenda at times, there's no way to deny that, and the community is Smogon, essentially. I don't fully understand your statement. In order to be eligible to make a vote, you have to COIL. I can't just go to the forum and vote indiscriminately to have something moved to a new tier. The vote isn't always the voice of the entire community, but rather the voice of the community who ranked higher than others. For example, I didn't agree with M-Mawile being sent to Ubers, voted against it, and I hate seeing her waste away there where she has no usage. It's a little more convoluted than it appears.

Exactly. It's not the whole community that gets to speak, it's the skilled players. Which is fine to me, honestly. I wouldn't want someone who only plays smogon rules once every few weeks to have a say in any ban/movement. Also, as you said. Community = Smogon. They are one, essentially.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.