Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] VGC18 - Tapu Fini - 2 Movesets - Calm Mind - Choice Specs
Picture  removed due to coming from a questionable source. I apologize for those who had to see it.

Hello, everyone!

Tapu Fini is quite a prominent Pokemon in the VGC18 scene. Despite having dropped in useage recently, it is still the fourth most common Pokemon, and on nearly a third of all teams. With a powerful Water typing and good defenses, Tapu Fini is a 'mon with potential.

Set One: Calm Mind
[Image: tapufini.png]
Tapu Fini @ Wiki Berry 
236 HP/4 Def/204 SpA/12 SpD/52 Speed
Modest Nature
Ability: Misty Surge
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Muddy Water/Scald/Ice Beam
This set takes advantage of Fini's defensive stats and makes sure it has ample attacking power. Already a powerful Pokemon without any boosts, Calm Mind raises Fini's SpA and SpD to make it both bulky and hard hitting. Moonblast is essential, and can be used on various Dragon threats and as STAB. Muddy Water is a great option if you need double-hitting moves, but if you need Water STAB, Scald is what you're looking for. Ice Beam is also an option for Landorus-Therian, one of the meta's biggest threats. 
Set Two: Choice Specs

[Image: tapufini.png]

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
108 HP/252 SpA/108 Spe/20 Def
Modest Nature
Ability: Misty Surge
- Moonblast
- Scald 
- Muddy Water/Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam
Two STAB coverage moves and the option to go for double-hitting attacks make this a great offensive option.This set is designed to be more of a sweeper than an all-around Pokemon, but its useful nonetheless. Because of Choice Specs, this Tapu Fini is an all-out attacker for high damage. 

Good Matchups:

Incineroar has surpassed Landorus-Therian as the most commonly used Pokemon on the PGL. Due to Fini's excellent typing, it can easily check the John Cena lion.

Hope y'all enjoyed! I will add calcs in the future and update some of the less-elaborated parts. For now, I just wanted the thread published. Enjoy your VGC journey!

-Retro
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
Any important Damage calcs?
OU MASTER RACE
@Kris Like I said, we're getting there. I wanted the thread published, but it will be updated soon.
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@RetroTyphlosion Here are some thoughts of mine:

Muddy Water is one of the major selling points of Fini, so that should probably be on every offensive set no matter what, so Scald on the Calm Mind set shouldn't compete with Muddy Water for a spot IMO (I'll get to Ice Beam later). Scald as the only Water move is only really an option on bulky Haze-variants IMO.

As for the Specs-set, and Ice Beam in general, you don't need Ice-coverage on Fini at all actually IMO. Muddy Water, Dazzling Gleam, Scald/Hydro Pump and Moonblast is all you need.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega: 236-278 (138.8 - 163.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega: 150-176 (88.2 - 103.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Moonblast OHKO's Mega Salamence, and even Dazzling Gleam has a chance to do so aswell, making Ice Beam redundant in this match-up.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Landorus-Therian: 200-236 (102.5 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hydro Pump OHKO's the more bulkier version of Landorus, whereas Scald and Muddy Water 2HKO's (1HKO on more offensive Landorus). Landorus can't do much back to Fini either, so Ice Beam would be reduntant here aswell. Fini's STAB moves deals similar damage as Ice Beam to other Ice weak targets like Bulu aswell, and you cannot KO it either way so you wouldn't stay in on Bulu for example any way so. And Ice Beam doesnt hit anything hard that isnt weak to it either, so going for STAB moves are the most efficient IMO, and let your teammates deal with the likes of Bulu. Also, locking yourself into Ice Beam forces you to switch out way more often than being locked into a STAB move, simply because the afforementioned moves will deal more damage to more targets than Ice Beam.

Cheers
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda