Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Rogue & Naitre's Trick Room team (Peaked @ 1400 + ELO)
Since Justin has been practicing with his semi rain/trick room team on showdown, I've been seeing people in the chat question other play-styles. Sun, sand, hail, and full on trick room. This is a team that my sister and I, Naitre made together for VGC 15 and had a lot of fun with while climbing the ladder on showdown. I don't remember exact numbers, but we peaked out with 1400+ Elo before the ladder reset recently. which put us somewhere around top 20. maybe higher, maybe even a tad lower.

This also isn't the best team we've ever made. We wanted to use a bunch of the mons that we wrote analyses for. We also both hate Mega Kang with a passion and wish it were banned, so we kept that in mind and chose our mega as something to deal with it. We decided on Mega Heracross. It worked much better than expected as well. I wont say this is a casual team we made, considering we put thought into and laddered high. But it obviously isn't top tier. Without further ado, let's get started off with our mega.

[Image: 214-mega.gif]

Mega Heracross

Our mega was originally Mega-Mawile. However, we used a trick room team in VGC14 M-Mawile and had so much success with it we didn't really wanna recreate that. (We get bored easily, don't judge.) Also, we felt that we often never brought M-Mawile on this team anyhow. So we wanted a change.

This is our set:
Pride @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Arm Thrust
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed

The EV's aren't too peculiar. We opted for max HP and a lot of Attack because we would rather over kill somethings, so we can get a chance to OHKO even bulkier things. The reason why we love this thing so much are listed below:

OHKO Mega Kang, OHKO most Cresselia's (but will always have a chance to no matter the spread), OHKO Politoed, OHKO Mega Swampert (lololol), OHKO most defensive Heatrans (same with Cresselia, it can be a roll), and many many more.

We were aware of Mega Heracrosses weaknesses, but we just loved the overall KO's it can reap. Also, no one uses this so it was nice to catch people off guard. We don't bring M-Hera every game, but when we do it's never a waste. If I see a rain team I basically just smile and say "GG"

[Image: 488.gif]

Cresselia

The annoying space-duck-moonlight-thing
Cresselia is easily the best trick room user in VGC imo. Amazing bulk, recovery options, and decent offensive pressure. Here's the spread we used:

Sloth (Cresselia) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Psyshock

We actually kept switching between relaxed and sassy. It was a hard choice on which is better, but we see much more special attackers than physical this year, so we decided on sassy in the end. Mental herb was our item of choice because we always benefit from trick room, and in same cases a late moonlight if they saved their taunt user. We picked Ice Beam over icy wind for obvious reasons: we dont want to lower their speed when we have trick room. So Ice beam was there for lando/thundurus/dragons and it actually clutched a lot of games. Moonlight keeps us healed and most games our Cress never fainted because of it. Psyshock is for stab and plus hitting amoongus is fun.
Our EV's are made so we can always survive a knock off from life orb bisharp, and dumped the rest in special bulk.

There's honestly too many calcs to show here. Cress lives a lot, nuff said.

[Image: 700.gif]

Sylveon

Sylveon is a murderer, honestly. If I didn't see too many resistances I just hyper voiced and won. We used the set we made on the megathread, but slightly altered it. Here it is.

Lust (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 94 HP / 120 Def / 248 SpA / 48 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam

We opted to not use HP ground on this because then we couldn't run 0 speed IV's, which was important so we can go first in trick room. So we ran Hyper Beam in it's place, and it honestly worked a lot. I've OHKO'd a lot of things with it, and it's always nice to use for fun. Honestly, looking back at all the games we played I might have gotten rid of shadow ball for something like Moonblast so wide guard wasn't a nuisance. I only recall using shadow ball a few times, and that was to hit Aegislash. Not sure of my sisters experience with it. But as we got very high, wide guard was very popular.

If you're curious of the EV spread, check out the mega thread.

[Image: 534.gif]

Conkeldurr

Conkeldurr is one of our favorite pokemon in singles, so we honestly just wanted an excuse to run it. Although it wasn't wasted due to it clutching many rounds, never being useless, and just loving trick room itself. This may be the less talked about here, the EV spread is the basic Assault Vest set, and the moves are also basic. We decided not to run protect because we're bulky enough to take hits, and we really want this amazing move pool with the insane KO range.

Wrath (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Def / 48 SpD
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

When we played some of our friends and used this set, they didn't agree with having mach punch when we were using trick room. However it came in handy way too many times to not run. You can't always get up TR, and our team does well without having TR up enough because of our move sets. Slightly off topic but: Man do I love hitting Landorus with Ice Punch. Anywho, moving on.

[Image: 485.gif]

Heatraaaaaaaan

Once again, this is another favorite pokemon of ours. I can recall a match where i played an opponent who had me in a 2v1 situation. He had Mega Zard Y and Talonflame, and I had Heatran. Heatran pulled through every time it was facing either of these, even if they were together. I hate Talonflame almost as much as Mega Kang, so it's nice to watch it break it's beak against Heatrans steel. Also, it's always fun to switch in on a will-o/heat wave/etc and get the flash fire and drop heat waves of my own.

Envy (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 108 HP / 100 Def / 244 SpA / 56 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

We thought of running subtran, but decided against it. We wanted access to all 3 of these moves because of how great they are. Earth Power was good for wide guard users, because then I can still hit things like Aegislash/Lucario/Bisharp/ and of course opposing heatrans. Flash cannons tore into fairys, mainly sylveon. Plus its just powerful coming from Tran. I think it's obvious why we ran Heat Wave. Protect was perfect to lead with Cress/Tran and protect while setting up TR. Then we get rid of any threats. I brought Heatran most games.

[Image: 547.gif]

Whimsicott

Honestly, we put this thing on our team out of sheer anger. Long story short, I played a game against a guy with an Amoongus and he slept everything and each pokemon on my team slept for like 4 turns each. We both have bad luck with sleep turns and we hate having our entire team slept, so we threw this on our team.

Greed (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 208 HP / 76 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain

Kind of an odd whimsi set, but I liked it. out Taunting thundurus/taunting breloom/amoongus always felt good. Also encoring people into protect was a nice way to feel evil. I wanted leech seed and Giga drain simply because bulky Suicune could be annoying if Heracross got burnt, so seeding it and slowly widdling it worked. Plus the leftovers + seed + drain recovery was OP. There were times where Leech seed would help save one of my mons. I could leech seed then switch into something with lowish HP, and heal up from the seed. I didn't always bring this, basically only if I saw annoying things like Klefki/Breloom/Amoongus.

There you have it! Our Trick Room team we made for VGC15. We laddered high, and had a lot of fun on it.
Cresselia was obviously our most used Pokemon on the team. We rarely ran into counters for it, except a few old VGC members like ATC Reflex who runs banded Escavalier.

We also didn't run into many bad team match ups, honestly. All matches were close if there weren't major hax, but thats Pokemon in general so I can't complain. I think part of the reason why we did so well with this team is because we made it together and new its weaknesses in and out. So things like Talonflame didn't bother us due to playing heatran well.

Like I said, we get bored easily so I'm probably gonna move on from this team which is mostly why I'm showing it. My sister still may use it because she really enjoys it; But I think the next team we might make together will be a sandstorm team.

Sorry if this overview isn't super in depth, because for all I know my sister will enter a jflynn tourney and use this team. But alas we both wanted to share this team because we liked it. It also just goes to show that you can do well without a super serious mega kang/amoongus core. A small reminder that you can use the pokemon you love, and do well while having fun. We also wanted to show the basics of TR and what works well in them.

I'm too lazy to proof read this. So sorry if something is spelled wrong or something of the like. Any questions/comments slam down below and my sister and I will read all/reply to all.

Oh, and if Justin reads this before tomorrow he has to play me in smash 4 on his birthday. My present to him is these hands.  kappa
This team so anti meta with most opposing teams using speed control (tailwind, t-wave, icy wind) not to mention all the Kangs, Terrakions, Bisharp, Sylveons, Cresselias, and other somewhat standard things running amok now. Like you said mega heracross can ohko consiberable amount of the metagame with the obvious exception of mons like Mence, Brave Bird, and Char Y. Congratulations on the peak. Btw where's this guy?

[Image: 2999190131_1_8_0FxdqOQp.gif]
OMG I LOVE THE WHIMSICOTT 10/10 WOULD RUN AGAIN
I'm just here.

#RowletBois
lol @Rogue #bestpresent
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
(Jan 28, 2015, 08:00 PM)Black117 Wrote: This team so anti meta with most opposing teams using speed control (tailwind, t-wave, icy wind) not to mention all the Kangs, Terrakions, Bisharp, Sylveons, Cresselias, and other somewhat standard things running amok now. Like you said mega heracross can ohko consiberable amount of the metagame taking account of things like Mence, Brave Bird, and Char Y. Congratulations on the peak.  Btw where's this guy ...

[Image: 2999190131_1_8_0FxdqOQp.gif]

Gluttony is one of my favorites <3 and thanks!

(Jan 28, 2015, 08:08 PM)GingerxPug Wrote: OMG I LOVE THE WHIMSICOTT 10/10 WOULD RUN AGAIN

Ayeee!

(Jan 28, 2015, 08:15 PM)Justin Wrote: lol @Rogue #bestpresent

I hope you accept the present! But it's your birthday and it's your choice of course. I can't wait to take part in another birthday year [:
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
I've messed around with mega heracross in Y. It can definitely be disgustingly strong against many opponents. This makes me want to breed one for my OR now.
I was looking at this team again, and it's really strong. Definitely going to import it into showdown for some battles on stream.
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
Still my favorite mega. I've had a difficult time making it work. Glad to see some success with it.

Have you considered low kick instead of arm thrust for a bit more damage on things like kang?
(Feb 9, 2015, 02:04 AM)Medaforcer Wrote: Still my favorite mega. I've had a difficult time making it work. Glad to see some success with it.

Have you considered low kick instead of arm thrust for a bit more damage on things like kang?

We thought of it, but ruled it out immediately due to we already have a high chance to OHKO the max speed/attack set. If they were for some reason running a super bulky kang, we have more than enough HP/defense investment to live max attack returns.

So we decided to use Arm Thrust for the advantage of being able to deal great damage on neutral targets/things that aren't so light anyways. Another reason why I was against running a solo fighting attack is that we can always KO focus sash bisharp/terrakion.
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.