Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Wanting to build a team
Hey guys, so I am trying to get into competitive, been watching a lot of videos and all that. But just need help with a first team (that isn't too difficult to use, and etc.)

Want to start off in vgc doubles because I have been watching a fair amount of that and looks the easiest to get into first.

All help is appreciated!
the first thing most people do is think of a style they want to base their team off; Standard, TR, Rain, Sand, Sun, Hail, Intimidate, the list goes on. Once you've figured out what type of team you want i suggest pick a mega/pokemon that work well for that type of team, for example for a Sand team you obvioulsy want a pokemon to summon the sandstorm such as Tyranitar or even hippowdon. Smile
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
Think I just want a standard, with either mega kang or mega venusaur, wouldn't mind trying a growlithe in the team and maybe milotic?
(Jun 4, 2015, 06:00 PM)Raticake Wrote: Think I just want a standard, with either mega kang or mega venusaur, wouldn't mind trying a growlithe in the team and maybe milotic?

That sounds like you want to play a bit more defensively with your team. I suggest running more bulky EV spreads, placing emphasis on status moves and Intimidate and most importantly having means of recovery and speed control
[Insert signature here]
Mega Venusaur is a rly sweet mega. It is insanely bulky to where, if EV'd correctly, survives probably all but 3 things in the metagame indefinitely. Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird and Mega Salamence's Double Edge being two of them. But I didn't factor in Intimidate > : ) Mega Venusaur can still hit hard, even without Special Attack investments. Like a week ago, I 2HKO'd a Rotom-W with Giga Drain. The Rotom-W had 252 in HP and 132 in Special Defense! My Mega Venusaur was all bulk; no Special Attack EVs at all. One of the best Pokemon to support Mega Venusaur is Scrafty. Their typings support each other very well. And Scrafty gets Intimidate. I strongly recommend it Kreygasm
M-Venusaur + Milotic + Arcanine is a good core to start with. They are bulky offensive pokemon which can also run a support move (Leech Seed/Sleep Powder, Icy Wind and Will-o-Wisp/Snarl, respectively), so if you want something like that for the rest of the team, my idea is to add Aegislash, Scrafty and Zapdos.

Aegislash offers Wide Guard support against Rock Slide, Earthquake, Hyper Voice and Heat Wave (common spread moves), it performs really well against M-Metagross, M-Gardevoir, M-Mawile and M-Salamence which are (sadly) all the threats to your M-Venusaur.

Scrafty offers another Intimidate (both Arcanine and Scrafty have no problems against a +1 Defiant Bisharp, while Zapdos and M-Venusaur can deal with a +2 Competitive Milotic, just in case) and Fake Out support, it deals with M-Kang and it has a great STAB Knock Off and Drain Punch. The Assault Vest variant performs well against M-CharY and rain teams too.

Zapdos offers Tailwind support, it can OHKO Talonflame which is a problem if you run both M-Venusaur and Scrafty, but you also have a double Intimidate so you can easily play around it. Thanks to Hidden Power Ice, Zapdos offers a good match up against M-Salamence. It is also your best answer to M-CharY, that's why you should also run a bulky set to survive Heat Wave in Sun.

If you like the team composition, we can also help you with Moves, Nature and EV Spread. This is just a suggestion.
i would love that! although getting a zapdos for me may be difficult :/

loving the advice! thanks alot
I've tried to build this team with as much bulk as possible, but thanks to the natural offensive stats these pokemon are able to always put offensive pressure too.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll > Thick Fat
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 140 SpA / 36 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Similar to Cybertron's EV spread, this one has some more SpA so that we can heal more HP back from Giga Drain and because we already achieve many goals with this bulk:

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 76+ Def Mega Venusaur: 151-182 (80.7 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 76+ Def Mega Venusaur: 118-141 (63.1 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psychic vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Mega Venusaur: 152-182 (81.2 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower / Overheat
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun / Protect

#123 Speed: Outspeeds Adamant Bisharp by 1 point, so that you use W-o-W on it.

This is another common bulky set on Arcanine, the Rocky Helmet set. Flamethrower allows Arcanine to stay on the field without any handicap, but Overheat would get a nice 85% chance to OHKO a 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile, even without any SpA investment on it, which is incredible. Snarl is another fantastic move you can use to decrease the SpA of the opponents, making this Arcanine more bulky on the Special side too. Morning Sun is a form of recover, which is useful against physical attacker because you can heal while they faint because of the Rocky Helmet damage, but Protect allows you to stall turns, to scout for a move and so on.

-1 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Arcanine: 88-106 (44.6 - 53.8%) -- 29.2% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Arcanine Flamethrower vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 96-114 (61.1 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Icy Wind
- Protect / Recover

Another bulky set with Icy Wind as a form of speed control for you team. The bulk is focused on the physical side, again, because Milotic is already strong on the special side (and the only risk is a Thunderbolt from Thundurus, which is always - in general - a 2HKO even with a lot of investment in SpD on Milotic). You can choose between Protect and Recover: given the nature of your team, i would choose Recover (in this case, you should choose Protect on Arcanine to have more one more Protect in your team).

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

This set adds a great offensive tool to your team. Life Orb Aegislash allows you to deal as fast as possible with M-Gardevoir and M-Metagross, getting the OHKO on any common set (even on a 244 HP M-Gardevoir, which is the bulkiest set possible atm).

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 188 HP / 68 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 133-156 (83.6 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44 SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 188 HP / 68 SpD Aegislash-Shield in Sun: 128-152 (80.5 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 203-242 (129.2 - 154.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 172-203 (98.8 - 116.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 140 HP / 8 SpD Sylveon: 174-205 (92.5 - 109%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 68 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Super Fang

Scrafty adds another Intimidate and thanks to the Assault Vest it's really hard to take this thing down even on the special side. Fake Out allows you to set up a Leech Seed, W-o-W/Snarl, Icy Wind or Tailwind with your partner. Drain Punch and Knock Off have amazing coverage, while Super Fang can put in KO range many things for your team. With 0 Speed IV you can be always slower than any Aegislash so that your Knock Off will hit it in Blade Form.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 68 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty in Sun: 58-69 (33.7 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 68 SpD Assault Vest Scrafty: 78-94 (45.3 - 54.6%) -- 49.6% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Scrafty: 144-170 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Scrafty: 73-87 (42.4 - 50.5%) -- Miniscule chance to 2HKO

20 Atk Scrafty Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 84-98 (46.4 - 54.1%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 44 SpA / 124 SpD / 28 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Protect

#124 Speed: Outspeeds Arcanine by one point so that you don't have a speed tie in your team.

Zapdos offers Tailwind and another Ice type coverage with HP Ice. Thanks to the Sitrus Berry and the double Intimidate in your team, i've decided to focus only on its special bulk because we'll always live a Double Edge from M-Kang. In particular, this Zapdos can survive this:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 124+ SpD Zapdos in Sun: 169-199 (85.7 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

The rest was put into SpAttack. However it is not enough to get an OHKO on 4 HP Land-T. However with a lucky damage roll, Fake Out with Scrafty + HP Ice from Zapdos can OHKO it.

44 SpA Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 136-164 (82.4 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Threats: Substitute Heatran and Sitrus Berry Thundurus are problems. SubHeatran because you can't use Leech Seed on it (yes, you can win a 1on1 with your M-Venusaur in many cases but not against a Sub Heatran) and Sitrus Berry Thundurus because it can KO your Milotic before you can KO Thundurus with Ice Beam.

How to play: Tailwind is not mandatory, but you have the possibility to use it a lot because the main threat to Zapdos (Landorus-T and Terrakion) have a really bad matchup against M-Venusaur, Milotic and even Scrafty, so you can bring Zapdos for 80% of your matches i suppose. If you bring M-Venusaur, you have to lead with it most of the times to have it in its Mega form as soon as possible. You can't switch its normal form on an Ice/Fire type move when it's in the back if it's not in Mega form (because it doesn't have Thick Fat), and in general because it doesn't have the necessary bulk yet. Aegislash is really important in this team, so you shouldn't waste it if your opponent doesn't have the biggest threat on the field (for ex. M-Metagross). If he's not revealing M-Metagross, you should not reveal Aegislash too. Scrafty fears Fairies a lot, but if your opponent doesn't have a Fairy type in its team you should always bring Scrafty with you - your opponent will have problems taking down it, meanwhile you can spam Super Fangs and Drain Punch/Knock Off to put everything in KO range for your partners.

How do i get these pokemons?: you can aks in the Trading / Breeding section of this forum. There are many members that can help you to obtain things such as Hidden Power Ice Zapdos.
(Jun 5, 2015, 09:45 PM)Raticake Wrote: i would love that! although getting a zapdos for me may be difficult :/

loving the advice! thanks alot

I can get you a Zapdos. I have powersaves, so I can clone mine Smile
You guys are the best! Thanks so much! Will start building once I get home. And can I take you up on that zap dos offer, although I don't have much to offer myself