Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Are these two pokemon a good base for a smogon OU team?
Actually, Mega Absol and Tangrowth can synergize if done properly. Firstly, Absol is pretty frail and prone to priority attackers and strong physical attackers. Absol also finds trouble picking off bulky Water types primarily Rotom-W in OU. Tangrowth is weak to special attackers, even down to ones such as Choice Specs Keldeo due to its abysmal bulk. Now bug isn't a very common typing in the OU tier. Off the top of my head only M-Scizor, Landorus-Therian and Keldeo (some variants) run Bug coverage but that's mostly U-turn or HP Bug to hit Slowbro in Keldeo's case so type synergy isn't much of an issue. The only issue here is that the core is weak to special attackers such as Gengar (if Absol doesn't Mega Evolve prior), Charizard-Y, Heatran, Amoonguss, and pretty much any common wallbreaker like Kyurem-B, Keldeo and so forth (hate to say "so forth" but this tier has a lot). Speed is also an issue especially because Absol gets outsped by Mega Manectric, Mega Lopunny and a huge range of scarf users and generally faster Pokemon. It isn't a bad core however. Tangrowth effectively checks threats to Absol such as Excadrill (under sand), Azumarill, Keldeo (bar specs unless you're running AV), Ferrothorn (but you need to run fighting coverage for it to counter), Offensive Garchomp (tankchomp has fire blast), Hippowdon, Mega Lopunny, Rotom-W (bar status infliction) and Slowbro (non Fire Blast/Psychic/Ice Beam) variants. Mega-Absol effectively takes on every hard hitting Psychic and Ghost type in the tier with its STAB and can run coverage to pick off Chansey, Skarmory, Garchomp, Keldeo, Landorus-Therian, Magnezone and so forth.

This core will need a third member to function

It isn't plausible to say that the core isn't viable due to just type synergy especially if it's geared towards a more offensive than defensive playstyle

And to what @"Elly" said, I misunderstood the question @TheDancingRoserade asked because he/she reviewed each Pokemon individually and not as a core so yeah...but you're right about viability not being equal to synergy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are these two pokemon a good base for a smogon OU team? - by Marcusube - Nov 14, 2016, 05:33 PM