Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1)
[Edit #1 - Updated Medicham and Torterra, dropped Florges for Blissey]

Alright, so with a lot of guidance and points of reference, I've finally slapped together my first team ever. I'm sure it's awful in a lot of ways, but I'm proud of it, anyway. *tear*

On a serious note, when putting these Pokémon together, I had two goals in mind:

1) I wanted to try using Pokémon that currently are not as frequently seen within this meta, yet could still possibly hold their own when facing those common 'mons. Key word here is "possibly". I suppose you'll help me see if I succeeded with this.

2) I wanted to use Pokémon that I actually like... and by like, I mean that I find super cute. T^T I know it's absolutely absurd to want to make a viable team that's entirely adorable, but I had to try! There are other Pokémon out there that are cuter than some of my choices, but at the end of the day, I can proudly say that I'd cuddle any of these guys at bedtime.

Alright, alright. Let's actually look at what I've got. Feel free to be as brutal or polite as you want; I don't mind suggestions, critiques, and changes as long as they help me become a champ with style.  Cool

-----

Mega Medicham

Medicham w/ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Attack / 64 Speed 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Fake Out
- Low Kick or High Jump Kick (can't decide which) Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Zen Headbutt Psycho Cut

Okay, okay. I know what you're thinking. Super cute? Maybe not. Potentially deadly? I think so! I had watched a few VGC videos the other day, and I saw in the comments that someone had suggested Medicham as an underrated Mega Evolution worth checking out. I've been having a difficult time trying to decide if I wanted a Mega Evolution on my team or not, but I figured that I might as well. Although there are much cuter MegEvs out there, being half South Asian (go, India!), I found its design appealing. It seems very reminiscent of Shiva, so I thought it'd be cool to have a Pokémon that feels like an actual part of me.

(don'tjudgemepls)

As far as its application in battle... I... don't have too much to defend this. I saw a few sample spreads floating around the internet, and I ended up combining a few of them to get this. I lack the experience to honestly justify splitting the HP and Speed the way that it is, but I saw a few people arguing for going this route. This may be a place to spruce up. Regarding the Low Kick vs. High Jump Kick, I'm honestly torn here. I saw some people arguing that HJK is the way to go, because if you aren't dishing out the DPS, you're going to die, anyway. But, I feel like LK may be the safer selection? I just don't know. If no one feels strongly one way or the other, I'll probably do a coin toss for this one (after praying to RNGesus, of course).

-----

Dragonite

Dragonite w/ Weakness Policy (P.S. - if Dragonite ever gets a Mega Evolution... what will its stone be called?! Game Freak, y u do this and not think ahead!?)
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Punch

I just love Dragonite. It's so freaking adorable, and I will confess that seeing this video may have influenced my decision to bring it along (despite how dated it is, I still laughed for a good 5 minutes and may have re-watched the video 5x).

Again, I don't have a true defense or justification to have this particular Dragonite on the team. Through several various threads and videos, this seemed like one of the most well-rounded and approved builds. I suppose that I could swap out Ice Punch for something else and maybe squeeze in Roost somewhere, but I am not sure what would be the best way of further rearranging this.

-----

Empoleon

Empoleon w/ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Attack / 52 Defense / 148 Special Attack / 52 Special Defense
- Flash Cannon
- Knock Off
- Icy Wind
- Scald

This was the result of more thread and video sniffing. It's a bit of a clusterfuck, I confess, but everything that I've seen regarding Empoleon seems to suggest that it isn't very good. This breaks my heart, because who doesn't love penguins?

I'm willing to completely re-work this Empoleon, honestly. The EV spread was a combination of a comment I saw on YouTube and a thread that I found on Nugget Bridge (I believe?). The abilities were a mishmash of what I thought might suit a pseudo-support, bulky Empoleon... but, of course, I'm not sure if this is the way to go. All I know is, I want this penguin on my team, but if he doesn't work, I'm willing to let him go (for something as cute, if not cuter, of course).

-----

Cinccino

Cinccino w/ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Bullet Seed
- Protect
- Rock Blast
- Tail Slap

If this set looks familiar, this is why. This is a set that I fell in love with, courtesy of this forum's very own Marcusube. I was doing a few practice runs with random 'mons that I had about a week ago, and someone that I battled had one of these. I've actually never seen this Pokémon before, likely because I only played Gen I, Gen III, and now Gen VI (weird, right?). I've been trying to slowly go through the National Dex and get a brief overview of them all, but it has been slow going.

Anyway, I saw this Pokémon during that battle, and I knew that I had to have it. It's so cute. Like... why... why is it so adorable!? I suppose you could say that it was a fateful encounter.

-----

Florges

Florges w/ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Defense / 100 Special Attack
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Psychic

Blissey w/ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss
- Soft Boiled
- Thunder Wave

This was another set that I got from these forums, specifically from here. I changed Flower Shield to Giga Drain based upon another suggestion, but I'm not sure if that's the right choice. It seems like Flower Shield is better if I was pairing this with something like Mega Venusaur, correct? If Giga Drain is not the answer, I'm open to trying something else.

-----

Torterra

Torterra w/ Lum Berry
Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Bold
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Defense / 76 Special Defense
- Amnesia Worry Seed
- Curse Wide Guard
- Leech Seed
- Stone Edge Earthquake

My final choice was due to the fact that I adore turtles, and the build was also derived from this forum, specifically this thread. I opted for Leech Seed over Rest, which led to me thinking that Lum Berry might be the better item choice over Leftovers. I'm not sure, though. I could change what Florges is carrying and put the Leftovers back on Torterra, but I have been unable to determine what's the better route. Similarly to Empoleon, I had read that Torterra is a challenging Pokémon to have on your team, so if it needs to go, I will give up my turtle power.

-----

Okay. I think that's it. Congratulations if you made it this far through my thread. I do want to be serious and say that I sincerely appreciate any and all feedback that I receive. This has been the first forum that I've felt comfortable with openly posting my questions, as opposed to being a creeper and secretly watching other people's conversations. You guys are a great batch, both full of warmth and knowledge. I'm excited to grow in my own knowledge (and hopefully skill, fingers crossed) with all of your help!

xx

(P.S. - I entered this team into Team Magma's team builder to check for weaknesses, and I believe the results are decent, yes?)

Messages In This Thread
My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by iflytoohigh - Mar 26, 2015, 10:20 PM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by z2porygon - Mar 26, 2015, 10:58 PM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by iflytoohigh - Mar 27, 2015, 09:33 AM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by Marcusube - Mar 27, 2015, 08:54 AM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by iflytoohigh - Mar 27, 2015, 09:49 AM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by Vexian - Mar 27, 2015, 10:33 AM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by iflytoohigh - Mar 27, 2015, 11:04 AM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by Marcusube - Mar 27, 2015, 11:18 AM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by iflytoohigh - Mar 27, 2015, 11:30 AM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by Marcusube - Mar 27, 2015, 11:32 AM
RE: My 2015 VGC Team (Attempt #1) - by KevMan - Mar 29, 2015, 07:47 AM