Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Viability and Frequency of Sun Teams for VGC 2015?
(Mar 29, 2015, 05:41 PM)Black117 Wrote: When I think about "Sun" teams in VGC format they fall under two categories: Mega Charizard Y/Venusaur with pledge attacks, and Drought Ninetales with Support Cherrim. Arguably the better of the two are pledge teams as their isn't much available checks aside from Flash Fire users, opposing weather, and a well timed protect. A full boosted Fire/Grass Pledge combination, clocking in at 160 base power before STABs and Sun will knock out any Pokemon who isn't resisted or do massive damage to near knock out. Chlorophyll Venusaur can put its targets to sleep while Charizard Y can still fire off strong sun-boosted fire attacks and Solar Beams. That said, if you can take out one portion of these two Mons or heck even predict the double protect and go with a Tailwind of your own, chances are Charizard will be forced to which out or risk being knocked out the following turn.

What I think about Cherrim/Ninetails sun teams is you definitely now have to protect either  from fainting immediately. Fortunately thanks to Flower Gift, Ninetales, Cherrim and their teammates will be able to take special hits far better and dish out heavy hitting physical attacks. Cherrim remind me about using Politoed since all it really needs to do is exist in the battlefield for Drizzle support and get Scald burns, Icy Wind, or give Helping Hand boost. You'd definitely would like to invest into Cherrim's physical bulk as much as possible while giving out minor evs here and there similar to GMX's Cherrim set. Cherrim has access to a moderately low movepool but its usable somewhat with attacks like Helping Hand, Morning Sun, Sunny Day (predicting weather switches), Safeguard, Dazzling Gleam, Heal Pulse, Worry Seed, Giga Drain, Seed Bomb, Grass whistle and etc. Considering the Helping Hand and Flower Gift boost, any allied Pokemon to Cherrim might be able to overpower the opposing target easily similar to the pledge teams. Most Ninetales I have seen are adamant Choice Scarf with sun boosted Flare Blitz to potentially ohko 4hp Mega Kangaskhan.

Thank you for such awesome and helpful feedback! It helps me immensely as I continue to play around with this idea some more.

xx

Messages In This Thread
RE: Viability and Frequency of Sun Teams for VGC 2015? - by iflytoohigh - Mar 30, 2015, 08:39 PM