Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] My First Mini VGC "Competition" Performance + Request for Advice
(May 9, 2015, 03:52 PM)naitre Wrote: Mega Altaria is light years better than Mega Ampharos. I would suggest adding Scizor or Heatran to the team if you decide to go with M-Altaria, since both effectively clean up a lot of the typings that threaten M-Altaria. Greninja is an alternative, but can be a bit frail and usually gets punished on switch-ins.

I prefer to run Fire Blast on my M-Altaria, but I'm all about taking risks for the sake of power. Flamethrower would be a safe bet if you're afraid of missing, I guess. What is the rationale behind the EV spread you have listed? Are you investing the EVs for a specific purpose (ex: outspeed a certain mon)? My M-Altaria is running 252 HP + 224 Def + 20 SpA + 4 SpD + 12 Spe in order to take a Meteor Mash from M-Gross and punish it with a Fire Blast, which is generally an OHKO on a high roll or a 2KO on a low roll with the investment I have. The speed investment is solely to outspeed other mons in the same speed tier.

Crobat is phenomenal in singles, but can be difficult to run in VGC in my experience. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it usually has a very specific role for VGC. It's comparable to Talonflame, but lacks priority. It bolsters a little more speed and attack, but whether or not that makes up for the lack of Gale Wings is questionable. Given the move pool you have listed, I would suggest Super Fang for the reliable damage. If you choose to run Super Fang, I'd suggest a bulkier EV spread.

Some teammates I can suggest other than Scizor or Heatran real quickly off the top of my head are Hitmontop, Amoonguss, Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Dugtrio, and Conkeldurr.

Thanks for your quick reply, naitre! Your teammate suggestions are immensely helpful in narrowing things down a bit for me.

The EV spread for Altaria was one that someone I met at the event shared with me. From what they noted, 60 Speed with a Tailwind up should allow it to outspeed an Adamant Landorus (Therian) that is Choice Scarfed. I'm not sure if that's the only justification for that spread, as I haven't played around with it too much quite yet, myself. Your spread is nice and very detailed, so I may scrap what I have and rebuild around what you've shared.

Hmmm, I was concerned that Crobat may not be the best Tailwind setter for VGC, but since this is a non-Legend event, I won't be able to use Suicune (which seems to be used quite a bit at the moment). I'll make a list of the 'mon you've recommended as great partners for Mega Altaria and see what I can come up with.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you don't like Ampharos much? It seems to be a tad bit slow, but do you think it'd work out okay on a Trick Room team?

Thanks for all the feedback!

xx

Messages In This Thread