Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

My battle with Verlisify
(May 12, 2015, 07:55 AM)naitre Wrote:
(May 12, 2015, 06:51 AM)Curtistharder Wrote:
(May 11, 2015, 11:25 PM)The Great Stag Wrote:
(May 11, 2015, 05:18 PM)Marcusube Wrote: *rolls eyes*

Ditto.

What's wrong with Verlis? He might not be the best battler but he gives me confidence to bring my own pokemon and not use the same sets as most people. He is my pokemon inspiration. I am sorry if you guys dissagree but to me he his my hero.

My issue with Verlis is his attitude and lies. He claims to have been an undefeated VGC singles champion, something that doesn't exist, when he actually only won in a little local VGC tournament in his town. He has a huge chip in his shoulder over the Smogon community and likes to poke at them with a stick, and then runs away crying and pointing fingers when someone finally retaliates. He has a massive victim complex and his attitude isn't conductive to growth in the pokemon community. There's no reason to slander and be so nasty to another community of players when it doesn't affect you. If you don't like how Smogon players choose to play the game, the simple solution is to not play by Smogon rules. Instead, he spreads misinformation and lies about the Smogon community and tries to pass his misperceptions as facts and truth. He blames the community for his misfortunes in life without looking at himself and what he's done. To be fair, though, this all happened a couple years ago, and I have no idea if he's changed. I don't keep up with him or pay any attention to him because his play style just doesn't benefit me in any way. If he's cleaned up and made his apologizes, that's fantastic and takes a lot of guts.

Competitive pokemon is a hard world to break into because of a lot of the elitism that goes on in the community. This community crafted by Justin is the most welcoming one I've ever seen, and it's part of the reason why I've become so loyal to it. It really bothers me to see new players led astray because of someone else's personal vendetta, or be laughed at because they're new to the scene and completely written off for no reason. Don't tell a new player that Stockpile Drifblim is 2OP2handle when they're trying to go into high level competitive play, because it really is only going to backfire on them. Creativity is awesome and I love seeing people come up with new sets, but the fact is, not everything is viable at competitive level play. This is why you see so many of the same Pokemon high on the tier list in tournaments.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with looking up to Verlis if you're a fan of his play style. Congratulations on winning! I'm sure it feels awesome to have battled your idol and won Smile We all make bad plays here and there, and the only thing you can do is try to learn from them, which you seem to be doing. It helps you grow as a battler. There were some misplays here and there, but at the end of the day, what matters is that you won.
http://youtu.be/gLRTd4Delvg He has made an oppology video a while ago.

Messages In This Thread
My battle with Verlisify - by Curtistharder - May 11, 2015, 04:15 PM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by Marcusube - May 11, 2015, 05:18 PM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by The Great Stag - May 11, 2015, 11:25 PM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by Curtistharder - May 12, 2015, 06:51 AM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by beastmoose - May 11, 2015, 06:04 PM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by Marcusube - May 12, 2015, 07:06 AM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by Curtistharder - May 12, 2015, 07:17 AM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by Slec - May 12, 2015, 09:52 AM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by Rogue - May 12, 2015, 10:46 AM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by ChaseInfinity - May 12, 2015, 11:50 AM
RE: My battle with Verlisify - by Curtistharder - May 12, 2015, 02:30 PM