Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] VGC team (Edited)
http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/?59...149|59|497

This is what your team looks like on paper. With no resistances to Normal, your team is already threatened by the most used Mega Evolution in the game and you have almost no way to properly counter that. Not to mention none of your Pokemon resist the common Rock Slide but 2 of them are weak to it. You can see your other weaknesses yourself but those two immediately stood out to me.

This team looks like a compilation of Smogon sets and VGC sets. Evidence of this is the offensive Arcanine set, the lack of protect on Serperior and Dragonite, only offensive moves are in each set and so forth

As a heads up, to do damage calculations use this calculator and use these or these statistics to see what your team matches up against and how many EVs you need to secure knock outs and survive attacks. I also like this article, this one and this one as well for they help me to know the common threats, sets, speed tiers and how to EV my team around them.

So without further ado, your team

Standard Amoonguss set except the EV spread. Adjust the EVs in a way you see fit. A goal you could try to achieve is to OHKO defensively invested Gastrodon 100% of the time while simultaneously surviving Heat Wave from Timid Max Special Attack Charizard Y and Double Edge from Jolly Mega Kangaskhan. I recommend Rocky Helmet over Black Sludge seeing as how you are shielding Kang from its main weakness, Fighting moves, which are generally contact moves so it allows you to break Focus Sashes on Pokemon like Terrakion and even Bisharp when it uses Knock Off on Amoonguss.

Your Kangaskhan build should be Adamant not Jolly. A majority of Kangaskhan are Jolly Max Speed so you're not winning any speed tiers anytime soon. By going Adamant, you can invest more defensively and less into speed meaning you have a better chance of surviving Terrakion's Close Combat, Landorus-T Superpower, Mega Lucario Aura Sphere and Mega Lopunny's Low Kick.

All EVs must be a multiple of 4 so yeah your math is incorrect. I'm not sure what that EV spread is to survive (because you didn't state it) so I can't critique on that. I recommend scrapping HP Ground and opting for either Sleep Talk or Quick Attack. HP Ground is extremely situational and only checks one thing, Heatran, which Kangaskhan, Arcanine and Dragonite shouldn't have a problem with. HP Ground as a stand alone attack on a Choice Specs mon is mediocre and if predicted by the opponent can cost you the game.

Outrage isn't good in VGC and Fire Punch isn't checking much either. As for item, I would go for Yache or Lum Berry here. Weakness Policy Dragonite works in singles because everything is single target meaning that you always get at least one Dragon Dance off thanks to Multiscale. In VGC, completely different case. Better move options would be Ice Punch, Ice Beam, Dragon Claw, Superpower, Thunder Wave and even Extreme Speed. Also you need Protect on this thing.

I read the reasoning for the Dragonite and Arcanine EV spread. Dude, the idea isn't to be max speed to outspeed, you need to know your speed tiers and distribute enough speed EVs to achieve the goal of outspeeding a threat and in the case your mon isn't fast enough then you need to consider speed control moves like Thunder Wave, Icy Wind, Tailwind or Trick Room.

Anyways, all out offensive Arcanine is just plain awful in VGC. Firstly, if you get Intimidated, Arcanine has very abysmal offensive impact. Secondly, Arcanine's movepool isn't all that great. Thirdly, it gets outsped by threats that either OHKO it or flinch it to dead with Rock Slide. Lastly, Arcanine's defensive typing and defensive movepool are better than its offensive. I would suggest a Leftovers Arcanine set with Snarl, Will-o-Wisp, Flamethrower and Morning Sun/Protect.

Gimmick Serperior....you've gotta be kidding me. Scrap Serperior and find a support Pokemon. Your team has enough offensive options as it is but lacks speed control, status moves, things to stop status moves and you still have an unbalance in weaknesses and resistances.

This isn't a bad team but many things were overlooked in the development stages and it is evident because you didn't give any relevant damage calculations, you didn't state what issues you had while testing the team (if you even did) and most of the set choices appear to not acknowledge the VGC meta game
[Insert signature here]

Messages In This Thread
VGC team (Edited) - by Curtistharder - Jun 18, 2015, 10:17 AM
RE: VGC team - by ChaseInfinity - Jun 18, 2015, 10:47 AM
RE: VGC team - by Marcusube - Jun 18, 2015, 03:58 PM
RE: VGC team (Edited) - by Curtistharder - Jun 18, 2015, 07:44 PM
RE: VGC team (Edited) - by A#1DukeofNY - Jun 19, 2015, 08:41 AM
RE: VGC team (Edited) - by Marcusube - Jun 19, 2015, 11:27 AM