Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] A look at Pokemon usage at worlds in top 8.
(Aug 23, 2015, 09:32 AM)DanielJames Wrote: IMO, the lack of originality has put a little bit of a damper on the tournament. I'm still going to be watching the Finals in a half an hour, but I wish we had at least one or two teams that brought something new to the table.

I second this notion. I see it like this...I've never been a fan of the use of legendary Pokemon in competitive play regardless of tiering on places like Smogon, but the fact that 4 out of the 5 "most used" slots across all age groups in VGC are owned or shared by legendaries is somewhat more telling. But even that aside, it's like watching the same teams over and over again, with minor variations, which is not only unoriginal, but boring. If you were to compare VGC to an international tournament like, say, the World Cup, it would be like the same players on every team playing against each other, with nothing but a lucky bounce one way or another determining who wins, rather than the actual team members being better trained, or having a better strategy.

I hate referencing the anime, but I'd imagine an actual Pokemon tournament, like those portrayed in the Anime, would contain more diverse teams that actually mean something to their trainers, rather than just tossing Lando-T and Mega Kang onto your team like everybody else.
-sandragon13
Be sure to check out my Otaru Regional Fakedex.  Updating regularly with new Fakemon.  Always looking for feedback!

Messages In This Thread
RE: A look at Pokemon usage at worlds in top 8. - by sandragon13 - Aug 23, 2015, 10:19 AM