Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] If I Could Set VGC16 rules
Yeah, as has previously been mentioned, the reason why legendaries are banned is due to the fact that they are just too powerful. Even without items like blue / red orb, lots of legendary pokemon still have a more diverse and usually hyper-offensive movepool (which of course is furthered by unique moves: aeroblast, spacial rend, oblivion wing, etc). Even without blue orb, choice-scarf water spout kyogre is one of the most cripplingly offensive sets in the game.
Good stats and movepools are what cause the legendaries balancing issues, its one of the reasons why the HA for many haven't been released- A physically defensive zapdos that ALSO has a chance to para with static, a suicune completely immune to water moves with water absorb, Regen Ho-Oh, Multiscale Lugia- the list goes on. Power like this would undoubtedly dictate the meta, forcing most teams to become a legendary core, with a few counters thrown in, not giving any room for cool strategies that sometimes occur- perish trap, smearglemancy and whatnot.
It doesn't take a lot for a pokemon to be labeled and non-VGC viable, sometimes its only a single move, see darkrai x dark void. Combined with its speed, it too would become the meta. The reason I mention this is due to a single little guy; smeargle. Banning moves is not a viable decision, smeargles gimmick is learning every move and really there's no reason to ban him.
It is difficult to balance legendaries, most are banned for a good reason. This being said there are a few that its a shame aren't allowed. Mew has great potential, keldeo and meloetta would be fun to see. The reason why we wont is because event exclusives usually have set stats, so to make them VGC viable a powersave would need to be used, and ofc Nintendo doesn't want to promote this behavior.

Tl;dr Most legendaries are banned for a good reason, even those that could be viable would need powersaving.

Messages In This Thread
If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by Pokeventurer - Sep 2, 2015, 11:51 AM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by DanielJames - Sep 2, 2015, 01:57 PM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by ChaseInfinity - Sep 2, 2015, 02:07 PM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by GingerxPug - Sep 2, 2015, 02:26 PM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by Marcusube - Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 PM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by Aether - Sep 3, 2015, 04:26 AM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by Aether - Sep 3, 2015, 04:28 AM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by adolf hipstar - Sep 4, 2015, 09:27 AM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by Marcusube - Sep 4, 2015, 10:24 AM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by GiMYz - Sep 4, 2015, 06:51 PM
RE: If I Could Set VGC16 rules - by Gondaj - Sep 6, 2015, 12:40 PM