Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[REQUEST] VGC Doubles Team help
Hey everyone, so being new to competitive pokemon in general I am having some issues with the team I am trying to build for myself. I am having problems with Ferrothorn and in general ghost pokemon. I am willing to change most of the team to help with these problems I just don't know to what. So without further ado here is my team.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252ATK/4DEF/252SPE
Moves:
  • Dark Void
  • King's Shield
  • Wide Guard
  • Follow Me

This was the pokemon that I based the team off of. I liked the idea of Dark Void causing havoc for my opp. Wide Guard is being used to protect myself from Mega-Gardevoir's Pixilated Hyper Voice. Follow Me is useful when your opp tries to inflict status on a your other pokemon when Smeargle already has a status. Follow Me also protects its partner from super effective hits. King's Shield is useful for when people try to use priority to knock out the Focus Sash and kill Smeargle allowing for one last use from him. Focus Sash allows you to get at least one Dark Void off if you have a Fake Out user.

Mega-Kangaskhan @ Kangashanite
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 212HP/92ATT/60DEF/20SpD/124SPE
Moves:
  • Fake Out
  • Sucker Punch
  • Return
  • Power-Up Punch

Naturally I wanted a Mega on the team and I wanted a Fake Out user and the giant dmg that Mega-Kang puts out is crazy. Sucker Punch is the one move that I wish I didn't have to run but I was needing a way to hit ghost pokemon and this does it the best. Kind of natural to have the Return and Power-Up Punch. I choose Power-Up Punch because there are very few Pokemon that die to a OHKO from Low Kick and if I am going to be attacking twice with one poke I would rather the boost to be able to sweep easier.

Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Impish
EVs: 116HP/212DEF/180SpD
Moves
  • Calm Mind
  • Moonlight
  • Psychic
  • Ice Beam

After a few games I knew that I wanted a counter to Mega-Kang. I like Cresselia as a pokemon so I wanted to make that work. The Calm Mind was to help with stalls as well with Moonlight. I wanted Psychic for the STAB and Ice Beam for coverage.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 4HP/100DEF/152SpA/252SPE
Moves:
  • Hydro Pump
  • Trick
  • Volt Switch
  • Will-O-Wisp

The idea behind trick is that you can come in on a pokemon that is wanting to set up or stall and you can make sure that pokemon is useless. Volt Switch is the STAB electric type of choice so you can switch and deal some dmg. Hydro Pump is the water attack of choice. Finally Will-O-Wisp you are able to cripple other pokemon and take stall pokemon out of the game quickly.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4HP/252ATT/252SPE
Moves:
  • Brave Bird
  • Flare Blitz
  • U-Turn
  • Taunt

Spot filler for the most part. Being new to the format I figured I wanted the high power Talonflame. The priority Brave Bird seems very useful but I haven't found a great use. I don't know where Talonflame fits in the meta game. I was hoping for more of an explanation on things that I should bring in Talonflame for.

Swampert @ Assault Vest
Ability: Damp
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 56DEF/252SpA/200SpD
Moves:
  • Earth Power
  • Scald
  • Rock Slide
  • Ice Beam

I saw this somewhere and I thought it was a neat idea. The Damp ability isn't very useful but that wasn't the main reason for him. He is a nice tank that can take a hit well and with Assault Vest that just helps lots. The moves are just coverage moves. Rockslide helps with Talon or other pokemon. I have 0 IVs in speed in order to out slow Aegislash and be able to hit it with an Earth Power and do tons of DMG while it is in Blade Form.

This is the team as of right now. I am thinking of adding in Bisharp in order to have Knock Off which is my favorite move in pokemon competitive battling. Bisharp seems to fit well in the meta game because the strength of Intimidate and having the priority STAB sits well with him. I am also needing help to find a counter to Ferrothorn. I need a strong fire type attack in order to make dealing with Ferrothorn bearable. I was also thinking that I wanted another Fake Out user in order to be able to lead with a different pokemon other than Smeargle and Kang. I think I am in the market for something faster in order to have a quicker Fake Out when the Fake Out wars start. I was thinking of Liepard since you can have a quick Fake Out and if another pokemon used Fake Out on you or a stally move you can priority Encore them or have a priority Taunt. I was also thinking of adding Sylveon to the team because of the wide range of moves that it learns to provide lots of coverage as well as creating more diverse threats. I think that Bisharp and Sylveon are fighting for the same spot on this team and the pokemon that they are replacing would be totally different though. Let me know what you would do. I am open to any and all suggestions besides removing Smeargle from the team.

Messages In This Thread
VGC Doubles Team help - by bdsaxophone - Sep 8, 2015, 10:01 PM
RE: VGC Doubles Team help - by Rogue - Sep 9, 2015, 01:06 AM
RE: VGC Doubles Team help - by bdsaxophone - Sep 9, 2015, 11:37 AM
RE: VGC Doubles Team help - by hi15361 - Sep 9, 2015, 01:07 AM
RE: VGC Doubles Team help - by Aether - Sep 9, 2015, 01:50 AM
RE: VGC Doubles Team help - by DanielJames - Sep 9, 2015, 08:07 AM
RE: VGC Doubles Team help - by MegaGallade475 - Sep 9, 2015, 01:35 PM
RE: VGC Doubles Team help - by Podfighterninja123 - Sep 9, 2015, 03:12 PM
RE: VGC Doubles Team help - by Marcusube - Sep 9, 2015, 10:33 PM