Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] KARTANA-ING MY WAY TO THE TOP (VGC 2017 TEAM)
This is a rather interesting team you have their @Eugenio given how there are some unique item choices you have such as the Choice Band Kartana. Let me just say to pair a Choice Band on a Pokemon with base 181 attack is almost disgusting, yet it is incredibly strong to begin with. My main concern with CB Kartana is you are already going to achieve the same 2HKOs as its other forms given how "weak" some of its moves are in the long run. Since you do have the Focus Sash on the Alolan Dugtrio, try to give Kartana maybe a Z-Move like Z-Leaf Blade or Z-Scared Sword with protect replacing Night Slash. This should give Kartana that extra firepower to get some crucial OHKOs where your opponent least expects its, and potentially get a boost. Locking yourself into one move with Choice Band on an already move deprived when you can potentially get a pseudo choice band boost from beast boost is appealing enough.

Kartana @ Fightinium Z / Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 156 Atk / 100 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

The Alolan Marowak set to me seems fine though try to see where you can optimize some of the EVs and even test out some stuff like Perish Song, Substitute, etc on it. Not much to go about A-Marowak, though do feel like it needs some kinda of Trick Room mode to operate well.

My issue with Goodra is that you can actually "improve" the EV spread just by making it a Modest variant with significant Defense EVs and diverting some Special Defense EVs into Special Attack. The set on Goodra is good enough and you don't have to test "Gooey" since Goodra can actually "wall" Tapu Bulu thanks to Sap Sipper. I can see Goodra working well to combat opposing weather-based teams, however you don't have enough good weather checks aside the Dragon itself and your opponent will make it a priority to take down Goodra. For that, I'd recommend changing one of these Pokemons to improve the weather matchup.

Now the Alolan Dutrio is doesn't make sense to have on a team like this. The main issue I have with Alolan Dugtrio is it doesn't have Arena Trap unlike its other counterpart and the "speed control" from Tangled Hair isn't the best. Considering that your team does indeed have some weaknesses to Ghost- and Ground-types, and needs some form of speed control, well you can try this Mandibuzz. 

Mandibuzz @ Misty Seed  / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Overcoat  
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 244 SpD / 12 Spe  
Bold Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Foul Play  
- Snarl / Taunt
- Tailwind  
- Roost

This Mandibuzz set is quite bulky given how it has a overall strong defenses, a great typing, and can take some strong special hits thanks to the Misty Seed, which is raised when an opposing Tapu Fini's Misty Terrain is in play. The EVs are kinda weird but it does let is survive a Z High Jump Kick from Pheromosa, Z-Hydro Pump from Golduck in the rain, and two Thunderbolts from Tapu Koko with the Misty Seed +  Misty Terrain up. Foul Play is there to essentially punish any setup down by the opposing Pokemon, meanwhile Snarl can suppress the special attacker's damage output. Tailwind allows Mandibuzz to provide some consistent speed control for 3 turns while Roost is there for recovery purposes. 

Regarding the Milotic, it need some "significant" changes to its EV Spread to abuse the Speed from the Adrenaline Orb. If I were you, consider reallocating some of the EVs into Speed and Special Attack, then lastly some into HP like this one. Not much else to say.

Milotic @ Adrenaline Orb  
Ability: Competitive  
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Scald
- Ice Beam  
- Recover
- Protect

For your Tapu Fini, might want to consider adding som speed EVs and maybe a bit into Special Attack like the following below:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers  
Ability: Misty Surge  
EVs: 244 HP / 148 Def / 52 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe  
Calm Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Moonblast  
- Scald  
- Calm Mind  
- Protect

This lets you outspeed most Tapu Fini sets that aren't significantly speed creep, has enough SpA where a +1 CM Moonblast can OHKO chomp, and the outspeed a good chuck of pokemon like Pheromosa thanks to the Tailwind boosts. Still don't know if you want to change Fini for Lele, though say so in a reply.

Honestly the team still needs some improvements here and there, though I feel its off to a great start. Just a matter of team testing and figuring out your EV Spreads on your mons is key here. Again hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
RE: KARTANA-ING MY WAY TO THE TOP (VGC 2017 TEAM) - by Black117 - Jan 15, 2017, 04:51 PM