Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Bulky Pokemon Really Take the Fun out of Metagame.
...felt like I had to say that.

Now enjoy the rest of your day.
(Sep 10, 2016, 03:28 PM)XYZ Wrote: ...felt like I had to say that.

Now enjoy the rest of your day.

@XYZ ...no? Please explain?
Was doing ranked battles was 2v1 and had a near-dead Kangaskhan (16HP) out fighting Volcarola.

I switch in Vaporeon (have *Scald)

Volcarola was alternating between Quiver Dance and Roost (and had leftovers), so I couldn't 2HKO it.

...instead, this dude keeps alternating between the two moves for what may have been 6 minutes.

Then I started letting the timer run out until he killed both mons.

That happens in 4 out of 5 of my battles on a daily basis
@XYZ Well if you make a team without a strong wallbreaker, that's kinda your fault because you weren't prepared. In competitive Pokémon, a good defensive core is one of the most important part of a team, so you need to be prepared :/
I have a few wallbreakers, and I understand everything is up to chance,

...but being in a predicament towards the end of a battle where you're at the mercy of a bulky Pokemon sucks. Especially when the user loves to spam tedious moves and there's nothing you can do about it but force quit.

DEF builds where you slowly buff/heal until you can offset damage feel more gimmicky than anything else.

Especially compared to Pokemon that actually fight.
Seeing how it's a battle and not a heal-o-thon.

And pardon my saltiness.

...cause I'm hella salty right about now....
Yeah, making competitive posts while salty probably isn't the best idea lol
U know there r ways to use their bulkiness against them.
LAst I checked.... Bulky pokemon that use set up moves....

Are called set up sweepers...

Anyway, for the volcerona over there, a simple pokemon using toxic can stop that from happening. Put it on your vaporeon, toxic is great on it.
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?
From my experience using Volcarona (in BS Doubles / VGC 15), its such an underrated Pokemon despite the strong presence of CHALK like teams with Heatran and Rock Slide users. Typically Volcarona does have some defensive investment to take one Non STAB Rock Slide, however in such matchups I strongly advise the fire moth is taken out before it can setup against special attackers. Remember that the Volcarona still has rather low Defense / HP values, even with investment so just hit it with powerful physical STAB, or Super Effective hit if possible. Crippling Volc with paralysis is a good way to mitigate its presence as you can outspeed it with both mons for the OHKO, or leave it unless its still a threat.

I'm assuming you tried to Sucker Punch the near low HP Volcarona, and then its started to recover and setup in front of both Vaporeon and Mega Kangaskhan. Was your Kangaskhan slowed down, or did Volc got the Quiver Dance boost prior? If anything, it seemed like your opponent out played you in the last turns via some Sucker Punch mine games, so I'd might have risked going for the STAB Normal move you have, but its kinda a 50/50 play.

To answer your question regarding "bulky" Pokemon, make sure you keep certain Pokemon available to for the late game, especially if Mega Kangaskhan can easily clean up with its parental bond attacks. There's a plentifully amount of capable wall breakers in VGC, notoriously Mega Kangaskhan is the most famous (possibly broken). There's also other mons like Char Y, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Salamence, Mega Mawile, Terrakion, Landorus-T, Sylveon, etc. For doubles specifically, the player just has to keep pressure against any setup Pokemon as its easier to do this than in a singles match.

If often difficult to sweep with Pokemon Like Volcarona, especially in a 2v2 environment, except there will be possible redirection support. Just keep this in mind.

PS: Toxic is kinda niche on bulky water-types in doubles, but can surely stop Calm Mind setup in its track, unless they have Rest.
I love bulky Pokemon and I love a good toxic stall or perish trap! Am I a bad person?