Poll: What should be my next VGC analysis?
This poll is closed.
Poliwrath
57.14%
4 57.14%
Machamp
0%
0 0%
Bewear
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] 0kamii's EZ Guide to PC Organization!
[Image: 1358149715.jpg]

Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and I am thrilled to be back! And I've got a brand new guide/discussion. PokemonForever doesn't have a [GUIDE] prefix, so I'm going to have to label this as a discussion, but it's actually a guide. Just so you all know, anyhow...

Have you ever been making a trade to someone and you spend too long looking for the pokemon you want? Does the setup of your PC boxes make about as much sense as the anime? Well, you're in luck! I, 0kamii, have been a full-time breeder for Pokemon Trainers since 2012, and that means I have a TON of experience reaching into my PC to grab various mons of all shapes and sizes. And over the years, I've developed a few organizing techniques that have helped me make trades at top speed. Finally, before we get into this, I want to thank reader @ToxicTarrn. Without your frustrated post about your PC boxes a few days ago, I never would've had this idea!

Let's say you have to make a trade with a friend, or someone in user @wartty's Breeding Alliance. And your PC box looks like this:

[Image: icon-emolga.png] [Image: icon-alomomola.png] [Image: icon-braviary.png] [Image: icon-eevee.png] [Image: icon-bisharp.png] [Image: icon-turtonator.png]
[Image: icon-piplup.png] [Image: icon-pichu.png] [Image: icon-rockruff.png] [Image: icon-garchomp.png] [Image: icon-cranidos.png] [Image: icon-rowlet.png]
[Image: icon-escavalier.png] [Image: icon-sceptile.png] [Image: icon-noibat.png] [Image: icon-whirlipede.png] [Image: icon-suicune.png] [Image: icon-minior.png]
[Image: icon-emboar.png] [Image: icon-slurpuff.png] [Image: icon-lapras.png] [Image: icon-toxicroak.png] [Image: icon-dhelmise.png] [Image: icon-zorua.png]
[Image: icon-aggron.png] [Image: icon-torkoal.png] [Image: icon-umbreon.png] [Image: icon-heatmor.png] [Image: icon-raikou.png] [Image: icon-lunala.png]

Yeah, pretty disorganized. If I asked you to find Decidueye in this mess, how long would it take you? Go ahead, go on and try. Well, by now you've realized there is no Decidueye, but if it there were I can show you exactly where to place him. Let get started.

To start, everyone has 32 boxes total available. Luckily for us, there are only 18 types. The first step to a neatly organized PC is to arrange all of your boxes by type into alphabetical order. Here's a list of all types by alphabetical order:

Bug
Dark
Dragon
Electric
Fairy
Fighting
Fire
Flying
Ghost
Grass
Ground
Ice
Normal
Poison
Psychic
Rock
Steel
Water

It's not necessary, but you'll find it's also helpful to give each box unique box art. I won't make a little cheat sheet for that because it's optional, but obviously you'd put the Seafloor wallpaper to the Water-Type box, the Volcano wallpaper to the Fire-Type box, the Craig to the Rock-Type, et cetera. Toy around with that at your disgression. Anyhow, after breaking down the boxes by type, our earlier mess should look something like this:

[Image: icon-escavalier.png] [Image: icon-whirlipede.png] [Image: icon-zorua.png] [Image: icon-bisharp.png] [Image: icon-umbreon.png] [Image: icon-garchomp.png]
[Image: icon-emolga.png] [Image: icon-pichu.png] [Image: icon-raikou.png] [Image: icon-slurpuff.png] [Image: icon-turtonator.png] [Image: icon-torkoal.png]
[Image: icon-heatmor.png] [Image: icon-emboar.png] [Image: icon-braviary.png] [Image: icon-noibat.png] [Image: icon-lunala.png] [Image: icon-dhelmise.png]
[Image: icon-rowlet.png] [Image: icon-sceptile.png] [Image: icon-eevee.png] [Image: icon-toxicroak.png] [Image: icon-rockruff.png] [Image: icon-minior.png]
[Image: icon-cranidos.png] [Image: icon-aggron.png] [Image: icon-lapras.png] [Image: icon-suicune.png] [Image: icon-piplup.png] [Image: icon-alomomola.png]

Now, if I told you to go into the box and find Dhelmise, see how fast you can do it. I'll bet it was pretty fast, and least compared to the earlier box, and now we can move on to the final step in box organization. Moving on, it's worthy noting that all evolution lines should go together, even if separated by generation. It wouldn't make any sense to stick Weavile next to Abomasnow, while it's pre-evolution is chilling up with Delibird. So always put evolutions next to one another. And now, the final step to box organization is to arrange the pokemon within the boxes by generation. Gen 1 pokemon should be up in the lefthand corner, and the latest Gen, whether it be 4, 5, or 7, should finish down near the bottom in the lower righthand corner. Using this final tip the PC should look something like this.

[Image: icon-whirlipede.png] [Image: icon-escavalier.png] [Image: icon-umbreon.png] [Image: icon-zorua.png] [Image: icon-bisharp.png] [Image: icon-garchomp.png]
[Image: icon-pichu.png] [Image: icon-raikou.png] [Image: icon-emolga.png] [Image: icon-slurpuff.png] [Image: icon-torkoal.png] [Image: icon-emboar.png]
[Image: icon-heatmor.png] [Image: icon-turtonator.png] [Image: icon-braviary.png] [Image: icon-noibat.png] [Image: icon-dhelmise.png] [Image: icon-lunala.png]
[Image: icon-sceptile.png] [Image: icon-rowlet.png] [Image: icon-eevee.png] [Image: icon-toxicroak.png] [Image: icon-cranidos.png] [Image: icon-rockruff.png] [Image: icon-minior.png]
[Image: icon-minior.png] [Image: icon-aggron.png] [Image: icon-lapras.png] [Image: icon-suicune.png] [Image: icon-piplup.png] [Image: icon-alomomola.png]

You got all that Trainers? Well, now. Go into this now, very orderly box and find Toxicroak. I don't even have to pause for rhetorical effect because you probably found it in a matter of seconds. Also, it's worth noting that Braviary is in the Flying-Type box because most Flying-Types have a primary type that overrides the Flying-Type, so putting all Normal/Flying-Types in the Flying box just saves space.

Well that's about all there is to it. It's really very easy once you get the hang of it, but just to be concise, I'll put a neat little step by step process down below just to summarize the main points.

To Organize Your PC:
1) Give all PC boxes a Type
2) Arrange Types into alphabetical order
2.5) Give each box a unique wallpaper indicative of the Type within
3) Shift around the pokemon inside until they are in Generation order
3.5) Evolutionary families stay together
4) Win at trades!

Well, there you have it! My short, sweet, and simple guide on how to organize your PC boxes. Hopefully someone will find this useful, and trades will be much easier in the future. But before I close out, I just want to make mention of a breeder's tip. Make sure you always have an empty box available. This is the box you use to deposit pokemon you intend to trade or use in an online tournament. Giving it its own box distinguishes it, and makes sure that you'll never mistake it for a similar mon. Provided you took the time to check to make sure it was the right pokemon in the first place. Anyway, that's all everyone! I don't know what to do for my next VGC analysis, but I'll include a poll to let the readers decide. Thanks for reading everyone, and I'll read you all next time! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii

Update: 5/30/2017 - 11:48pm

For those of you wondering, the cover art for this post comes from Evan Liaw. He has an amazing gallery of a Mass Effect style Pokemon Center and I just had to use one of the pictures in my post. Go and support them on their DevianArt page and I will read you all soon! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

That's a really good idea! This is actually such a help Smile
Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
@stephenWITNESS 

Thanks so much, stephen! Good to know that someone got a use out of my quaint little post here. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to insert and rearrange all those icons, so I'm glad my effort wasn't for naught. Smile

- 0kamii

Lol picturing how frustrating it was getting all those icons to display correctly xD thanks for the honorable mention! I see so many people complain about their boxes being a  a mess so I can totally see this helping people :D I've got a system where I sort them by use.
​​​​​​Like I've got Wonderbox 1-3 for wondertradables, HAbox 1-3, Asian mom and Asian dad boxes for foreign parents, AmericanDad(lol) and MomBox, BoxParty for my main guys, Collectable, Shiny Collectables, Tradables 1-3, SpareBox 1-3 at different points for free space and box 1-10 for Pokedex stuff ~
but in DPP and black and white I used a really similar system to yours :p
@wartty

Hm. I never thought of sorting them by use, I always figured my way worked best. But whatever, if it works for you, who am I to say otherwise? And yeah, you have a pretty popular thread over there and I imagine you are a busy busy Combee. I figured it'd be an excellent tie-in. And besides, breeding is a complicated business. It's not for everyone. It can be very tedious, so I'm always spreading the word on behalf of other breeders. We deserve a little more love than we get. Smile

And yes, getting all those icons in place was...troublesome, to put it lightly. But if anyone gets some use out of my post, it'll be worth it! And who'd have thunk we'd have similar systems? Great minds think alike I guess!

- 0kamii

I sort them by type like you do. Then I have a breeding box for Pokemon that need to be bred, EV box for pokemon need to be EV trained, and then a Battle Ready Box(es) for Pokemon I can use in compeitive. I haven't really been doing much in Sun and Moon lately as I've gotten bored so I have a ton of Pokemon that need bred lol
@0kamii the appreciation is greatly appreciated :D lol although it might be my major OCD that allows me to remember what's where in my system and then we got @Skyla using a mix of both our systems :p I have my pokebank organized in a similar way too and I never ever thought I'd fill that up but I creped​ past 2300 the other day
@wartty

I only use PokeBank for my Living Dex to get the Shiny Charm every game. I've never needed to dip into my PokeBank storage because I comb through my Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, X, Sun, and now Moon versions often enough that I have enough space. I know it's not the most efficient system to have my breeding assets spread across two generations and five games, but hey! I do all my breeding in my own time, so my system works for me!

I'm still excited to proceed with my newest project, and I hope I can make my debut in the Breeds, Trades, and Safaris forum with open arms. I may not be a one man army, but I'm still a first-class breeder! Big Grin

- 0kamii

@0kamii Nice! I have been waiting FOREVER since you made your post about your computer virus for this. I can see this really helping people. By the way, have you seen that battle I fought yet? Oh, and for the record, I took a good amount of time searching for that Decidueye before I realized it wasn't there!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@RetroTyphlosion

Hey, Retro! I didn't mean to deceive you, but the point was that the box was so disorganized that one couldn't even tell that there wasn't a Decidueye in the box. Also, I'm glad you're excited to see my newest post. I actually made a bonus post earlier today too to make up for lost time, so go check that out if you desire! Smile

And yes, I saw the battle. I got the code to work and it looked like you had the battle won the whole time, but...you have a legitimate Shiny Tapu Koko? Did you trade it from someone over in Japan? And if you did, why isn't its name in Japanese? I want to believe you, companero, but something about it just isn't adding up.

Anyway, glad you enjopyed the post! Look forward to more in the near future!

- 0kamii