Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] In Defense of the PS4 Pro
In Defense of the PS4 Pro

I've seen a bunch of "gamers" giving the PS4 Pro negative reviews and calling it useless or pointless since it's a little pricey and doesn't play 4K Blu-rays.

Don't worry friends, a person that actually plays video games is here to help you rationalize, or at least, make a well informed decision.
  • You don't own a PS4
    • If you're buying a PS4 at this point in the game there's not reason to buy a standard or a slim unless the extra $100-$150 is truly out of your budget. Which it's not because if you don't have an extra 100-ish dollars to spend you probably shouldn't be buying a PS4 anyway.
  • You want a larger hard drive to store your games/media
    • Yeah you can upgrade this yourself, but if you're already about to shell out the $70 you're already 1/4 of the way to a new PS4, and if you just sell or trade your old one in you're probably over half way there.
  • You like streaming your PS4 to other devices in 1080p
    • Oh you just bought a PS4 for every room in your house. My bad didn't know you won the effing lottery. Poor/Lazy people like me can't be bothered to go all the way downstairs to play PS4 so we stream it to our computers.
  • You play split screen games like Rocket League
    • I know most games these days force you to play on separate consoles but there are a few games out there that you can play locally with friends. In order to handle multiple users/split screen gaming you would get massive fram drops, and not many things will make you rage harder than missing a game winning goal in Rocket League.
  • Your eyes can actually see higher resolution textures and dynamic lighting
    • This doesn't seem to be a big deal for people, but the second I started playing my PS4 Pro I could tell the graphics of my games were much more clear and had better shadows.
  • You want faster (and I think more stable) wi-fi
    • I understand that this should have been standard on the OG PS4, but it's not, and you unfortunately rely on wi-fi to deliver internet throughout your entire castle. Well, the PS4 Pro has you covered. It can get on that delicous, high speed, unused, 5G wi-fi channel you've been longing for.
  • You've got a coupon!
    • On paper this system is in no way worth turning over $440 dollars after the tax man punishes you. However, there are plenty of online retailers that don't charge tax and have easy returns if something goes wrong. And if you keep an eye out at Target and other B&M retailers, you'll often find a 10-15% coupon off of electronics or maybe even store wide.
Here are some additional question to add to your reply (if you even reply, which you won't, because you're scared):
  • Do you plan on buying a PS4 Pro?
  • What is stopping you from upgrading besides money?
  • What's your current favorite PS4 game?
  • What PS4 games are you looking forward to in 2017?
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
I actually sold my ps4 a couple months back when it started collecting dust after my purchase of a proper gaming PC and a new 3DS. I considered rebuying for the sake of replaying some of the classics like 'The Last of Us', but I really feel like I should wait for the 5th generation.
I also heard pro cant properly run 4k like it was advertised, which really put me down.
I still this it's a great system nontheless, with a great pricing for a pretty powerful hardware, and would definitely recommend it to those that have not experienced the 4th gen of playstation. But I wonder if it will be worth it to those who already have from a non-content provider's perspective.
(Dec 4, 2016, 06:34 PM)hyunwoo0124 Wrote: I actually sold my ps4 a couple months back when it started collecting dust after my purchase of a proper gaming PC and a new 3DS. I considered rebuying for the sake of replaying some of the classics like 'The Last of Us', but I really feel like I should wait for the 5th generation.
I also heard pro cant properly run 4k like it was advertised, which really put me down.
I still this it's a great system nontheless, with a great pricing for a pretty powerful hardware, and would definitely recommend it to those that have not experienced the 4th gen of playstation. But I wonder if it will be worth it to those who already have from a non-content provider's perspective.

Same for me, and honestly i don't regret my choice. I'll wait for PS5 (or whatever they are gonna call it) to play The Last of Us 2 and Bloodborne 2, which are the only Sony exclusives that i would like to play...

..but who knows, maybe we'll be able to play these games on PC too :D
Sold my Ps4 as well some time ago and upgraded my PC instead. Not ever going back to console. :D
#LillieDefenseSquad
We're currently hanging on to my older brothers PS4. Been playing Bloodborne whenever I get the chance and I love it. When we have to return it I'll definitely pick up a Pro. Assuming I have enough money post Switch. But I agree, the whining about a newer version of a console is silly. People whined about the New 3DS. You don't HAVE to buy it.
RIP Miranda Cosgrove 1975-2017
I don't plan on buying a ps4 anytime soon. I hardly ever play games on console anymore and a $500 crunchyroll machine isn't exactly the best thing to drop them rubles on. When it coems to ps4 games, rocket league also seems like the only one I'd be intradasted in at all anyway. So again, $500 crunchyroll and rocket league machine? Nah.

Warning: Basic PC propaganda incoming, take shelter before its too late D: No not there, they can still see you, try over there!

I think it is much more productive to invest in a proper PC than a console. Consoles die out, many are subject to planned obsolescence(what isn't these days tho) and games you once loved but cannot play anymore due to no backwards compatibility are either gone forever, or digital. Which is fine you get to play them woo! Oh wait you have to buy them again... woo?

Meanwhile with a PC the initial investment to get a decent pc can be a little harsh, but the price to remain current isn't. Instead of dropping $500 every few years, you might just need to drop a double digit money bomb on those best buy noids. And the best part is you get to play any game ever that has been released to PC. Wanna play tf2, a game that came out 89 years ago? Guess what you can! Wanna play battlefield 1 minutes after playing tf2? Sweet, PC gots ya covered mang.

The only downside from pc gaming I've personally had however... is dropping $70 for a new 18 button mouse when your old 18 button mouse becomes a 17 button mouse :L
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?
I bought my PS4 two years ago and I have a lot of fun with it. Won't sell it and I don't need the PS4 Pro.
I'm afraid that currently I can't play to much between work and studies, but at the end of the year I will have a lot more time to play my favorite videogames.
If you already have a PS4, you don't need a PS4 Pro, unless you want better graphics for future games.
If you don't have it, you could buy it. PS4 exclusives are amazing...