Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Need help with Sandslash EV spread
First off, Sand offence Sandslash shouldn't be ran with a Choice Band. If the opponent scouts that you're choiced, they can simply switch into something that resists or is immune to the attack you are going to use, forcing you to switch, wasting a turn of Sand Stream.

What you need to do is shiny hunt for an Adamant/Jolly Sandslash with this set up

Sandslash @ Life Orb / Earth Plate
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- X-Scissor / Knock Off

Swords Dance allows Sandslash to break through more walls with its three moves. Earthquake for STAB, Stone Edge to hit Flying and Bug types for super effective since they resist or are immune to Earthquake and X-Scissor is for hitting Grass, Psychic and Dark types, however, Knock Off may be more useful for it nails Ghost types such as Rotom and Mismagius and also hits Levitate Pokemon.

Though I recommend using Life Orb, Earth Plate is good for bluffing that you are choiced into an attack if you never previously Swords Danced

Jolly Nature allows Sandslash to outspeed a Shell Smash boosted Omastar, a Lilligant after 1 Quiver Dance, (scarfed Rotom, Primeape, Jynx, Garchomp, Landorus, Hydreigon, Staraptor, Victini, and Haunter), Dragon Dance Charizard X after one boost, M-Sharpedo after one speed boost and Ninjask before Speed Boost kicks in. The Adamant nature does not achieve these benchmarks
[Insert signature here]
(Feb 24, 2016, 09:00 PM)Flapster Wrote: I did get a Shiny Sandshrew, its level 11, got it from the horde method in the desert, which is 5iv. Here is how I would setup my Sandslash

Sandslash @ Choice Specs

Nature:Jolly

Moves:

-Focus Blast

-Stealth Rock

-Poison Jab

-Earthquake

I'd prefer to give it choice specs as Sandslash's downside is Special Attack, and the choice specs can give it a boost. As for the nature, Jolly it increases Speed, but it decreases Special Attack, to be honest, I wouldn't go for a Jolly Sandshrew if you really want some decent Special Attack stats.

As for the moves, I'd start with stealth rock as sandslash can sometimes be killed quickly, so, starting off with that is worth it. Or, you can go for Toxic as it can lose HP after every round, so that can come in handy. But, stealth rock can do damage to all the enemy's pokemon, which is worth it.

You'd need a move set of different types. Focus Blast is 150 power, 100 accuracy, and can lower your target's special defense, and that can come in handy.

For Poison Jab, if you don't want to go for the toxic strategy, poison jab might be it. Posion Jab can do damage, aswell as can also poison the target. That can go in handy if you don't want the Toxic.

Earthquake can do decent damage, but the problem is, since Sandshrews can shine in double battles, its teammate would be damaged, unless the teammate has levitate or its a flying type, then you'd be fine. If you're one of them too worried about earthquake hitting teammates, then go for night slash.

As for Night Slash, it can do decent damage, and critical chances are more with this move. Can come in handy if your Sandshrew is about to faint.

I hope this helped! Smile

Thanks i'm trying this set and it works. Especially when i get locked into Specs Stealth Rock.
(Feb 25, 2016, 08:17 AM)GMX Wrote:
(Feb 24, 2016, 09:00 PM)Flapster Wrote: I did get a Shiny Sandshrew, its level 11, got it from the horde method in the desert, which is 5iv. Here is how I would setup my Sandslash

Sandslash @ Choice Specs

Moves:

-Focus Blast

-Stealth Rock

-Poison Jab

-Earthquake

I'd prefer to give it choice specs as Sandslash's downside is Special Attack, and the choice specs can give it a boost. As for the nature, Jolly it increases Speed, but it decreases Special Attack, to be honest, I wouldn't go for a Jolly Sandshrew if you really want some decent Special Attack stats.

As for the moves, I'd start with stealth rock as sandslash can sometimes be killed quickly, so, starting off with that is worth it. Or, you can go for Toxic as it can lose HP after every round, so that can come in handy. But, stealth rock can do damage to all the enemy's pokemon, which is worth it.

You'd need a move set of different types. Focus Blast is 150 power, 100 accuracy, and can lower your target's special defense, and that can come in handy.

For Poison Jab, if you don't want to go for the toxic strategy, poison jab might be it. Posion Jab can do damage, aswell as can also poison the target. That can go in handy if you don't want the Toxic.

Earthquake can do decent damage, but the problem is, since Sandshrews can shine in double battles, its teammate would be damaged, unless the teammate has levitate or its a flying type, then you'd be fine. If you're one of them too worried about earthquake hitting teammates, then go for night slash.

As for Night Slash, it can do decent damage, and critical chances are more with this move. Can come in handy if your Sandshrew is about to faint.

Thanks i'm trying this set and it works. Especially when i get locked into Specs Stealth Rock.

Has 2 Physical moves and Rocks, better give it specs Kappa
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
Flapster,

Focus Blast is 120BP and 70 accuracy. Choice specs really isn't an option due to his admittedly pitiful special attack. Also, his only special attack is Focus blast on that moveset. Sandslash excels at physical attacking. If a fighting attack is needed, may I recommend brick Break?

Congrats on the 5IV shiny!
Marcusube,

You were on my Glalie thread, weren't you? Thank you for giving specific details on what it can outspeed and your feedback is appreciated. Locking myself into EQ Is always a risk but so is everything else. That's the game we play.
Choice myself into knock off? They switch into a scrafty without an item (Although I know that acrobatics scrafty is a lot less common than levitaters or flying-types xD)

Your insight is, once again, greatly appreciated.
+1 rep to ye!
(Feb 25, 2016, 11:44 AM)SnowdustWolf Wrote: Marcusube,

You were on my Glalie thread, weren't you? Thank you for giving specific details on what it can outspeed and your feedback is appreciated. Locking myself into EQ Is always a risk but so is everything else. That's the game we play.
Choice myself into knock off? They switch into a scrafty without an item (Although I know that acrobatics scrafty is a lot less common than levitaters or flying-types xD)

Your insight is, once again, greatly appreciated.
+1 rep to ye!

The locking yourself into a move isn't the problem, it's more of how much Sand turns you burn when you force yourself to switch when outplayed.

No prob man, glad to give my thoughts out and thanks for the rep
[Insert signature here]
(Feb 25, 2016, 11:39 AM)SnowdustWolf Wrote: Flapster,

Focus Blast is 120BP and 70 accuracy. Choice specs really isn't an option due to his admittedly pitiful special attack. Also, his only special attack is Focus blast on that moveset. Sandslash excels at physical attacking. If a fighting attack is needed, may I recommend brick Break?

Congrats on the 5IV shiny!

Yeah, sure! :P
(Feb 25, 2016, 08:17 AM)GMX Wrote:

Sandslash @ Choice Specs

Moves:

-Focus Blast

-Stealth Rock

-Poison Jab

-Earthquake

Let me guess, sarcasm??
(Feb 26, 2016, 04:41 PM)Flapster Wrote: Let me guess, sarcasm??

Yeah, i didn't want to be rude, but i hope you are able to understand the reasons why your build is not viable by yourself.
Oh okay, I understand. Sad