Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Rest & Sleep Talk
Lightbulb 
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to know people's thoughts on a possible moveset for Milotic.  I was thinking that because it's so bulky that  you could possibly have:
Scald
Icy Wind
Rest 
Sleep Talk

I know I'm subbing Sleep Talk for Protect... But would that actually work or be "competitive" in VGC/Doubles?

Thanks!
Hi!

I don't see Rest+Sleep Talk combo that much in the competitive scene, well, I've never seen one actually. Maybe it's because it takes up two move slots. But anyway, milotic gets recover, although only half of recovery compared to rest (not to mention status healing) you'll have one more move available (Protect?). Also you won't rely on luck for milotic to use the right move at the right time.

And that's my two cents.
I'm a logger
recorder
diarier?

I record my Pokemon journey in this diary

so a journeyer?

In Milotic's case, you shouldn't be using Rest because it gets Recover.

But I really don't like Sleep Talk at all. It's RNG-dependant on winning you the game, it takes up 2 move slots, and there are typically better ways to use the bulky Pokemon that you would see use a Rest Talk set. And then there's gambling on when you will wake up and need to stop clicking Sleep Talk.

Also, absolutely do not use it in doubles. Wall-y Pokemon aren't as good there as they are in singles due to double-targeting and the quick nature of the format. If you absolutely have to use Sleep Talk...save it for Singles.
Recover is way more reliable than Rest+Sleep Talk and it allows Milotic to use another move in its 4th slot, which could be Protect or even Toxic if you have problems against opposing Calm Mind Cresselia
@jouzea @MagnusHexem @GMX 

Thanks for your thoughts.  It was only of those... "What will happen?" type questions and I didn't know how it would be for VGC/Doubles.  I have recover currently, but was thinking about spicing things up. LoL

Thanks again!
Ugh, I have to say. I finished competing in the Kanto Classic today, and there were THREE instances of people using Rest over Recover, Roost, and Moonlight. One of them didn't even have Sleep Talk! And it worked out for them initially because I inflicted a status condition on them. It was annoying, but it's always better IMHO to use the standard recovery moves, especially since sleep turns are unpredictable.
Rest + Sleep Talk usually works best with Pokemon that set up defensively like Snorlax and Suicune with Curse and Calm Mind respectively. The idea is that Rest in conjunction with Sleep Talk allows that Pokemon to be impregnable by means of status or raw attacks (unless critted).

So with this in mind, Rest + Sleep Talk wouldn't work out too well for Milotic. Also it has Recover which is a more reliable means of recovery
[Insert signature here]