Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Which Shell Smash Pokémon is Best? - with 0kamii
Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and for my miscellaneous Friday post, I want to discuss Shell Smash!

I've been in love with this move since it was first introduced, and the very first pokémon I ever used that took advantage of this devastating stat boost was Crustle I had on my Black 2 team. It swept everything after a single click, and while Shell Smash may not be the greatest move to use in the competitive scene (VGC Doubles, that is), Shell Smash continues to be one of my favorite strategies when participating in Singles. Even in recs when anything goes. So I thought it'd be a lot of fun to share some of my favorite Shell Smash using pokémon below, and let you all tell me what some of your favorite Shell Smash sets are too. If you're one of those trainers that's never used Shell Smash, you are missing out. It is so satisfying to pull off successfully. Tongue

Set 1: Cloyster
Cloyster
Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Liquidation

I love using Shell Smash Cloyster. Dragon-Types don't know what hit them, and it's refeshing to use a traditionally defensive pokémon in an offensive way. While you could easily substitute the White Herb for a Focus Sash, or switch out Liquidation for something like Ice Shard, or Hydro Pump, I just like the option of having Water-Type STAB available after +2. Shell Smash Cloyster is also special to me because it's the Shellder I Shiny hunted in only 17 eggs. I named him Wikiwiki; I figured he earned it.

Set 2: Crustle
[Image: crustle.png]
Crustle @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

My Crustle, Hala'i, does immeasurable damage in recs with this set. I've used her to dominate my friends' teams in battle numerous times, and despite knowing she's coming, they never seem to prepare. My love of Bug-Types is well-documented, and as Crustle was my first Shell Smash pokémon, she's certainly a candidate for the best. At least in my humble opinion. Feel free to swap Stone Edge for Rock Slide if you're worried about accuracy. Her natural ability in Sturdy lets her setup with Weakness Policy carefree, and pain inevitably follows. Simply put, she's a bug, but she'll be the one stepping on you!

Set 3: Carracosta
[Image: carracosta.png]
Carracosta @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Carracosta is a unique case. It is quite literally a hybrid between Cloyster and Crustle, least as far as Shell Smash users go. Offering Water-Type STAB, which is never bad, and the natural ability Sturdy (negating the need for a Focus Sash), Carracosta has the potential to decimate teams if given the opportunity to set up. That is, provided all its threats have been handled. A max-invested Jolly Carracosta at 50 has 92 Speed. After Shell Smash, that goes up to 184. So base 116+ mons can still outspeed you. Be aware of this if you decided to use Carracosta. I've personally used this Carracosta at a tournament held by my campus, but I sadly took second place because my Carracosta was knocked out by a Focus Sash Lurantis, losing all my momentum. No one could've prepared for that. Regardless, I'd use this set again, and I highly recommend you all try it too.

Set 4: Minior
[Image: minior.png]
Minior @ White Herb

Ability: Shields Down
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide

If you've noticed some repetition with the movesets (full 252 investment, Earthquake, Rock-Type STAB), there's a reason for that. Most pokémon that get Shell Smash have access to similar STAB. With the exception of some Shell Smash mons that won't be on this list (Magcargo, Torkoal, Omastar, Shuckle), a lot of Shell Smash pokémon are physical attackers. Minior can do either one, as it has access to Power Gem and other special attacks, its physical moveset is slightly better in my opinion. White Herb seems like the natural choice here, as Shield forme Minior has little need for a Focus Sash. It's Flying-Type also lets it switch in safely to the ever present Earthquake, which gives you a clean opportunity to go for Shell Smash. However, Minior is not the only Gen 7 mon to get Shell Smash.

Set 5: Turtonator
[Image: turtonator.png]
Turtonator @ Focus Sash

Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

The only Special attacker on my list of best Shell Smash mons, I will be the first to admit that while Turtonator is one of my favorite Gen 7 pokémon, this really is the only way to decently run one. You'd think a mon with 135 base Defense and 85 base Sp. Defense would be bulkier, but it's really not. That Fire-Type leaves it weak to Stealth Rocks and Earthquake, two major problems for any mon in Singles. Not all is lost for Turtonator. If you can get Shell Smash off, the Blast Turtle Pokémon can make for a scorching endgame sweeper. Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor 1) for no accuracy issues, and 2) so you don't lose that +2 you just gained. You can switch Will-O-Wisp for Focus Blast or any other coverage move, but I like having it to leave foes burned when I know Turtonator is about to go down. Makes for a nasty parting gift.

So which on is the best? Well, of my personal five picks, I'd say that the top contenders are Carracosta and Minior. Mainly because Minior is immune to Ground-Type attacks, and Carracosta isn't weak to Stealth Rocks like the other four. Obviously, damage from Stealth Rocks will throw wrench in your plans from the beginning, so best to clear those before you attempt any of their strategies. Overall though, I would love to use some of these sets in more competitive formats, but there's a reason we don't. I refuse to end on a negative note though, so don't forget to share with me some of YOUR favorite Shell Smash sets, and if you've got any stories using this move, I'd love to hear them. Be on the lookout for my Monday post when we discuss all our favorite mons from the OG region, Kanto!

Thanks so much for reading, everyone! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii

P.S. Here's a replay PIMPNITE posted of a Shell Smash sweep with Torkoal in Gen 6. That's the kind of hilarity I live for!  Big Grin

Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

i think the best is cloyster and minior is a close second, but my personnal favourite is omastar. it was pretty cool in early sm ou to use on rain team since shell smash allowed you to outspeed literally everything because of swift swim while still being faster than most pokemon outside of rain and it was overall a cool win con. omastar needs more love!
Ooh, I really like this topic @0kamii though I feel you left 2 really good ones out in Barbaracle and Gorebyss. 

Barbaracle is really powerful since it has the access to Tough Claws as well and has a pretty good move pool for your 4th moveslot choice.

[Image: 689-Barbaracle.png]
Barbaracle @ White Herb  
Ability: Tough Claws  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Shell Smash  
- Liquidation  
- Rock Slide  
- Poison Jab/ Brick Break/ Dragon Claw

Now Gorebyss on the other hand I primarily use as Shell Smash/ Baton Pass although could be another Special shell smasher.

[Image: 250px-368Gorebyss.png]
Gorebyss @ White Herb  
Ability: Swift Swim  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Shell Smash  
- Surf  
- Ice Beam  
- Baton Pass or Psychic/ Shadow Ball

while I really enjoy using those two I will agree with you that minior is the most fun/ best for shell smash.
I would have to go with cloyster, mainly because of its natural bulk and damage output, and minior, because of its ability. I immediately eliminated barbaracle (4x weakness hurts). I haven't had much experience with turtanator, so I can't really have an opinion on that. Crustle would have to be a close third because of the type coverage (0 not very effectives)
Cloyster, I used to reach 50 in Super Singles in Battle Tree. It is also popular in Smogon Orange Islands for its Skill Link Ability and ability to set up with Shell Smash. Smile
What is a signature and how do I get one?
In the current meta? Definitively Cloyster.

EPIC Torkoal sweep by the way! Loved it!  Big Grin
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
@Black Waterfall 

In the current meta? How do you figure? I haven't seen any on Battle Spot, Showdown, or on livestreams. Have you used one?

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

(Feb 24, 2018, 11:01 AM)0kamii Wrote: In the current meta? How do you figure? I haven't seen any on Battle Spot, Showdown, or on livestreams. Have you used one?

- 0kamii

@0kamii 

Really? I remember running into a few back when I used to play Battle Spot Singles on Showdown last year. It turns out that my team had a huge weakness to it so I always carried a Ferrothorn just in case.

Do you usually play Random Battles on Showdown? For some reason Shell Smash Cloyster always does very well there (and Minior would be a close second). It's very fun! In fact, I've seen people sweeping legendaries with things like Shell Smash Magcargo there! (I'll try to find the replays.)  Big Grin
@0kamii For fun:

The epic untouchable all mighty mega Smashcargo sweep I promised. Big Grin
Cloyster all the way
#LillieDefenseSquad