Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

DJ's Square One (Mega Lucario)
Hello forum! So I'm starting a new thread idea that I like to call DanielJames' Square One. What is Square One you ask? Well let me tell you!

Each week, I'll post a Pokémon that I want to build a competitive VGC team around. Instead of using common Pokémon like Mega Kangaskhan, however, I want to use Pokémon that aren't as commonly used in the format. Essentially, the idea is that I post my own set for the Pokémon of the week and the forum helps me build a team around it. Now just because the Pokémon that I choose for the week isn't as commonly used, that doesn't mean that rest of the team has to be uncommon as well. If Landorus-T makes sense on the team, then we'll add it. The point of this thread is that the forum gets to work together and build competitive teams that we might not otherwise come up with by ourselves. I think that it's a great way for forum members to get to know each other and get creative. So without further ado, let's jump in!

I chose Mega Lucario this week because it's an overlooked Pokémon in the VGC format. It's a relatively frail Pokémon, but it has great offensive typing, can be ran as a physical or special attacker, and can surprisingly provide some support for it's allies. Here is the build that I came up with.

[Image: lucario_mega_by_creepyjellyfish-d7a49dl.gif]
Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Quick Guard
- Protect

I opted for a special Lucario because of the abundance of Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp users in the scene. Because Lucario has poor defenses (70/88/70), I invested in max Special Attack and Speed with a Timid nature. Quick Guard is my surprise factor, allowing Lucario to block Prankster users and priority attacks. Lucario has great offensive typing, being able to scare Mega Kangaskhan and Fairy-types like Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir with Adaptability-boosted STAB attacks.

Do you have a different build for Lucario? What Pokémon would you pair with it? You don't have to provide a complete team, just list a Pokémon or two that you think would help Mega Lucario shine. Hopefully this idea catches on and we build some great teams!

-DanielJames
Hmm. Mega Lucario. I like it. I am not going to come up with a team right now, but I will offer a bit of help. A redirect Pokemon like Togekiss (preferably with Safety Goggles) seems like it would be pretty important. Lucario is walled bye Aegislash, so lets go with a Specs Hydreigon. It can hurt the things Lucario can't, and can safely switch into ground and fire type attacks. Okay, so we only have one Pokemon that can fight fairy types, and we have two fighting weaknesses. How about Azumarill? Azukiss is a very powerful (wombo) combo, plus, it takes care of some threats. I think a support Pokemon like Meowstic would be very helpful here. It can use Thunder Wave, Swagger, Safeguard, and Fake Out, all on one set. Opposing Tailwind teams could pose a problem, but the team so far is kinda slow anyways, so lets get something fast. Lets get a Blazikin. I'm thinking a mixed Blazikin with Overheat, Hp Ice, Protect, and Low Kick/Superpower/High Jump Kick. That is my recommendation. I don't want to do any EV calculations right now, so this is not a full team.
[Image: lucario-mega.gif]

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch/Iron Tail
- Protect
- Rock Slide/Poison Jab/Ice Punch

In my opinion, physical Lucario would be a stronger option in this meta-game than the special variant

252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 212 HP / 20 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 188-224 (90.8 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 152-180 (86.8 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Adaptability Mega Lucario Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sylveon: 156-184 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The special variant is indeed powerful, but it misses out on a few key KOs by unlucky damage rolls or EVing of Pokemon.

Close Combat is Lucario's strongest move (barring High Jump Kick), Bullet Punch is nice for priority, however, you can run Iron Tail as a stronger offensive option but 75% accuracy is too shaky in my opinion for it to be a viable option. Protect for obvious reasons. Rock Slide is necessary for Lucario to hit Charizard, Thundurus, Zapdos, Talonflame, Gyarados, etc for super effective damage since they resist both of Lucario's STABs. Poison Jab only serves to beat Fairies but you have Adaptability Steel coverage so no reason to consider this. Ice Punch of course is for Landorus, Salamence, Garchomp and anything else weak to the move.

The Inner Focus ability is so that if Kang decides to Fake Out Lucario, you can take advantage of that situation by not mega evolving and Close Combat for the faint. It is situational to be honest but Lucario's other two abilities aren't as viable or even viable at all. Well, you can try a Beat Up Strategy but seeing that Lucario is so frail and slow before mega evolving, I wouldn't recommend it.

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 140-168 (69.6 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 212 HP / 60 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 188-224 (90.8 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 140-168 (80 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lucario Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 168-200 (90.8 - 108.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Well, you get the idea. Honestly, the only thing that's discouraging about using Lucario is that there are popular mons that either control its speed with ease or outspeed and OHKO it, not to mention Intimidate, Snarl, screens, Calm Mind, burns and Assault Vest are factors that stop Lucario from being a destructive beast.

In terms of team mates, I'm feeling a core of Politoed, Lucario and Sylveon. Lucario + Politoed gets rain and which cushions one of Lucario's weaknesses off the bat, not to mention it cancels out Japanese sand so your Lucario gets saved from being swept. Support Politoed with Scald, Icy Wind, Helping Hand and Ice Beam/Protect would work wonders here. Sylveon + Politoed just means Hyper Voice + Helping Hand spam, however, you'd need to be careful when facing threats that OHKO Sylveon that Politoed can't handle. Not specs Sylveon btw. Hyper Voice, Calm Mind/Wish, HP Ground, Protect with Leftovers/Pixie Plate. Lastly, Lucario + Sylveon. Swap out one of Lucario's moves for Follow Me. Lucario resists all of which Sylveon is weak to and Sylveon can pressure out all that Lucario would be threatened by (barring Talonflame and Charizard-Y).

Man, we brainstorming out here! Cool
[Insert signature here]
You both brought some great ideas to the table! I like Delta's idea of using Azumarill. A bulky water-type Pokémon that applies offensive pressure while resisting Lucario's weaknesses. I'm really digging the Mega Lucario+Politoad+Sylveon core though! It makes a lot of sense and I really want to try it out.

Personally, I had two Pokémon in mind. I was thinking of either Amoongus or Thundurus. Redirection support from Amoongus with a Rocky Helmet can help weaken Pokémon like Mega Kangaskhan, which Lucario can then clean up. Spore is also an incredibly helpful move. Thundurus, on the other hand, can Thunder Wave speedy threats (minus Landorus) that would normally give Lucario trouble. I feel like Thundurus would make a great addition with the Lucario+Politoad+Sylveon core. Ludicolo would also fit on the team along with Politoad, providing a fast Pokémon in the rain that can handle Landorus and bulky water-types like Milotic, Suicune, and Rotom-W.

So far, I'd go with the following team:

M-Lucario
Politoad
Sylveon
Thundurus
Ludicolo
???

For the last slot, I feel like we'd need something to deal with Heatran and/or Aegislash. Politoad and Ludicolo could deal some major damage to Heatran, especially in the rain, but I'd feel better with a Pokémon that had a strong Ground-type move. It'd also help deal with Aegislash. Landorus is an option, as much as I'd rather not use him. Any other options?

Again, I'm just brainstorming here! By no means is this the team that we have to go with. If you have any other team options, please post them!
Well, Heatran is already covered by Politoad, Ludicolo, and Lucario, so we need not worry about him. A Pokemon like Ferrothorn could be dangerous too the team once Lucario goes down. Mega Venusaur will also pose some big problems, so lets go with a little Pokemon I love called Specs Chandelure. Chandelure is amazing. Dat 145 base special attack with 90 defenses and an 85 base speed with the Flash Fire ability is pretty awesome.

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 204 SpA / 4 SpD/ 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This thing is BAWS! It can survive a Sucker Punch from a Jolly, 252 Atk Mega Kangaskhan, and then KO it back with an Overheat 100% of the time assuming it isn't super bulky. Or raining. I had 8 leftover EV's, and so I just threw them on to get the most bang for my Sawsbuck.