Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[IMPORTANT] Website Pokemon Tournaments (Need Your Help)
(Nov 20, 2014, 02:27 AM)ilias Wrote:
(Nov 20, 2014, 02:15 AM)Eeveeli Wrote: ♦ Set a consistent date (weekly, monthly, bi-weekly?)
I would do it bi-weekly/Every three weeks so that people can build/work on their teams and have enough time to get used to it. In my option a week would be too short for that and a month too long. I would also do this in the weekend but I think that this was already planned ^^

♦ People need to register, but how do we choose who's in and be fair? (yes there needs to be a limit on entries)
I think the only fair way to do this is via a generator/raffle system thanks to timezones and stuff like that. If I made a event like that I would make a registration topic where people could sign up and let this topic open for a whole day (Let's say on a friday/day before the tournament starts) after that you lock the topic, go to a raffle site and just let it generate people until all the spots are filled.

I wouldn't add a rule that if you were in one tournament then you can't be in the next one, especially if this will be a monthly thing. From what I experienced it's very hard to find a normal 6 vs 6/VGC match on Pokemon since most people on XY love to bring shoiny ubers with them. The only way to do this is via the replaychat or making a topic on that forum but that can also take a while before you finally find some matches to fight against.

so I would appreciate it if this rule wasn't added since tournaments are a great way to find fun matches.

♦ Reporting matches (Just reply in the tournament thread?)
As you said in the topic I think with just leaving a reply in the tournament thread is the best way to do this.

♦ Anything Else?
I would also generate some more people after the spots are filled as 'reserves' since I know how annoying it can be when someone doesn't show up. If you do this then you can replace that person easily without making too much trouble around it. I would also give that person who didn't showed up a "penalty" for the next tournament so that he/she can't join. (Well of course it's different if that person has a reason for it but i'm talking about people who just don't show up because they don't feel like doing it anymore)

I agree with this. But a monthly tournament would be better in my opinion. Blush
Well we kind of already do that with sub tourneys
#TeamForum
LETS GO SOX
Wouldnt it work out for the timezones if a person (or a few) from each time zone where assigned to a certain number of spots? Like, there is a set amounf of spots per timezone and that way its fair, no? I dotn know :P
(Nov 20, 2014, 05:42 PM)erickab24 Wrote: Wouldn't it work out for the timezones if a person (or a few) from each time zone where assigned to a certain number of spots? Like, there is a set amount of spots per timezone and that way its fair, no? I don't know :P

I kind of like the idea but I don't think there would be a problem even if everyone in the tournament were from the same time zone. I think everyone should deserve a fair chance at being drawn.
(Nov 20, 2014, 05:46 PM)Joushou Wrote:
(Nov 20, 2014, 05:42 PM)erickab24 Wrote: Wouldn't it work out for the timezones if a person (or a few) from each time zone where assigned to a certain number of spots? Like, there is a set amount of spots per timezone and that way its fair, no? I don't know :P

I kind of like the idea but I don't think there would be a problem even if everyone in the tournament were from the same time zone. I think everyone should deserve a fair chance at being drawn.

Thats kind of what i meant, im terrible at explaining haha. I meant that, people could sign up as opposed to being drawn randoml from a program and to make it fair, (this would be first come first served), there would be a certain amount of spots for each time zone too so you wouldnt be left out if you were sleeping but you would also not get left out if your luck is bad
I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about deciding who is allowed to play in the cup other than a first-checkin-first-serve basis, or maybe you can only register for one tournament per month, I'm not sure about that one.

However, if you're looking for a good system, or way to run a tournament, you should check out how Zotac Cup automate theirs. Basically once the tournament starts, there's a "grid" and a box in the top right-ish (unless they've changed it) which shows your opponents screen name and info. So in your case you could have a box that shows friend code and in game trainer name.

Then under that, there's a button to report the match result. Basically having your tournament somewhat automated reduces a LOT of admin work. Nugget bridge has recently started using this: http://battlefy.com/landing . I think you can embed that into your site somewhere (also the front page makes a reference to ray and wolfey, which is pretty dope).
Might be something to look into, even though I get that you probably want to run everything through your own site.
  • Set a consistent date (weekly, monthly, bi-weekly?)

I say to do either a combination of monthly and bi-weekly. Every other week have a tournament and then for the monthly one have a tournament from just the victors of the previous bi-weekly tournaments.

• People need to register, but how do we choose who's in and be fair? (yes there needs to be a limit on entries)

First come first serve. Include all dates for the tournament if it is a series so they know what they are signing up for. If they sign up and agree to the dates but miss the tournament without in advance letting a Event Organizer or MOD know they are suspended from tournaments for a period of time.

• Reporting matches (Just reply in the tournament thread?)

Use challonge(bracket setting up website) have both or one of the competitors take a screenshot of the match and give it to a MOD so they can edit the brackets.

• Anything Else?

Um ill edit this if I can think of it
Set a consistent date (weekly, monthly, bi-weekly?

Every 2-3 weeks works best for people to breed,ev train, think of ways to win with there team.

People need to register, but how do we choose who's in and be fair? (yes there needs to be a limit on entries)

You can do a raffle system example to take part you must put your name in on "January 12th on January 14th names will be drawn to who enters".

OR

Maybe to be unique a player must catch a Shiny pokemon requested by Justin and have the Trainers OT name there. Or Win 5-10 online battles back to back with proof.( Or you can do this for late commers)

Reporting matches (Just reply in the tournament thread?)

Posting on the forum can be good. Or maybe a program that allows players to post there battle once registered and notifys when its posted. Also maybe a mod can deal with this for more saftey.

Anything Else?

There should be something unquie for people to attract attention like:

Team battles
Pokemon hunting(Shinies,Natures,Female/Male)
Trophie on the users profile there permantly once they have done something worth doing. Eg Beating the Elite 4 1k times. Ect
This might sound a little much but maybe get a chat for the forum so it make's it easier for people to setup matches etc.
What kind of tournaments? There is Pokemon on the 3DS, then there's Pokemon Showdown online, which if that's the case, Challonge is a site where you can hold tournaments and play like that.
I'm just here.

#RowletBois
Here's what I think.

-Weekly can definitely work out for Justin considering how many fans he has now, perhaps Friday or a saturday during later in the afternoon is the best time for the tournament so you can make sure a majority of the registered people make it.

-I am assuming it is a 3ds tournament. I think a first come first serve basis is best for the tournament and have perhaps a waiting list for the next tournament for people who didn't make it so everyone has a chance, if someone hasn't shown up then they cannot participate in the following tournament so the chance of it happening again drops is also a wise choice as said by someone else which means consistent people should get priority.

-Challonge.com enuf said, I think Justin has used this before but I personally use it for my facebook group tournaments and it's pretty well constructed but I just checked out Battlefy as suggested by someone else earlier in the thread and either works.

-Making a thread for each tournament is best to report the matches, also it would be wise to have each person save the battle vid so there is no confusion

-Another suggestion would be to use a random number generator to decide who is going against who- the order of who entered should be their number.

While I understand there are those with an advantage because of time zones, there is not much that can be done about that because it goes both ways, your time might be better for you but not for me and vice versa.