Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[IMPORTANT] Website Pokemon Tournaments (Need Your Help)
I would like to set up tournaments through the site, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to do that. Here are the things that need to happen:
  • Set a consistent date (weekly, monthly, bi-weekly?)
  • People need to register, but how do we choose who's in and be fair? (yes there needs to be a limit on entries)
  • Reporting matches (Just reply in the tournament thread?)
  • Anything Else?
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
I feel like every week would cause problems. Every 2-3 weeks in my opinion I can see working well.
For entries it could be FCFS (First come first served) and lets say 5 people who found out/tried to enter late get priority to join in the next one as long as they make sure to remember and confirm they will be able to play.
Report battles by posting the Battle Video on the thread then you can assign someone to review all battle videos. Them being an eliminated player, Mod, ect.
How about each tournament is different from the last as far as play style. So first tournament can be Singles then next is something crazy like Multibattle then go Triples and ect. But we can have a poll for the community and they pick which ones they would like to see for the month of X. (X=Whatever)
i think you should give a certain amount if time to register and also some buffer people in case someone can participate, the deadline should be about 2-3 days before the tournament

Also like the ones on the stream people who were in the one last week arent allowed to enter UNLESS there arent enough people to enter the tournament

Report First Come first serve (may have problems due to timezones)

once or twice a month maybe

report in the thread
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
@IceyGamer the thing about first come first serve is the time zones. I'm from the UK, so if a post goes up about a tournament people who are in different time zones might miss it from being asleep etc.
(Nov 19, 2014, 04:12 PM)Eckley Wrote: @IceyGamer the thing about first come first serve is the time zones. I'm from the UK, so if a post goes up about a tournament people who are in different time zones might miss it from being asleep etc.

Now that is a really good point. How do you think we could possibly make that work better? My ideas that I keep thinking of to fix this are flawed to the point it would work only for one side.
There will probably have to be some sort of deadline to enter, like animekid mentioned, but as far as making who gets to enter fair, I haven't got a clue
would it be possible to use some online random generator, where someone can enter the friend codes and/or username of people who enter, to randomly select who plays in the tournament?
I think a monthly tournament would be a good idea. As for registration, I'd suggest a random number generator to select eligible participants. Also have a queue of backup participants for the day of the tournament in case a few have to bail. Matches could be reported via the tournament thread with a code for the uploaded battle.

I think a month between tournaments would let people experiment with different teams/builds for long enough and also draw out solid participation. It would also allow people to make time for the tournament if they had such an advanced notice of the event.
♦ Set a consistent date (weekly, monthly, bi-weekly?)
I would do it bi-weekly/Every three weeks so that people can build/work on their teams and have enough time to get used to it. In my option a week would be too short for that and a month too long. I would also do this in the weekend but I think that this was already planned ^^

♦ People need to register, but how do we choose who's in and be fair? (yes there needs to be a limit on entries)
I think the only fair way to do this is via a generator/raffle system thanks to timezones and stuff like that. If I made a event like that I would make a registration topic where people could sign up and let this topic open for a whole day (Let's say on a friday/day before the tournament starts) after that you lock the topic, go to a raffle site and just let it generate people until all the spots are filled.

I wouldn't add a rule that if you were in one tournament then you can't be in the next one, especially if this will be a monthly thing. From what I experienced it's very hard to find a normal 6 vs 6/VGC match on Pokemon since most people on XY love to bring shoiny ubers with them. The only way to do this is via the replaychat or making a topic on that forum but that can also take a while before you finally find some matches to fight against.

so I would appreciate it if this rule wasn't added since tournaments are a great way to find fun matches.

♦ Reporting matches (Just reply in the tournament thread?)
As you said in the topic I think with just leaving a reply in the tournament thread is the best way to do this.

♦ Anything Else?
I would also generate some more people after the spots are filled as 'reserves' since I know how annoying it can be when someone doesn't show up. If you do this then you can replace that person easily without making too much trouble around it. I would also give that person who didn't showed up a "penalty" for the next tournament so that he/she can't join. (Well of course it's different if that person has a reason for it but i'm talking about people who just don't show up because they don't feel like doing it anymore)
(Nov 20, 2014, 02:15 AM)Eeveeli Wrote: ♦ Set a consistent date (weekly, monthly, bi-weekly?)
I would do it bi-weekly/Every three weeks so that people can build/work on their teams and have enough time to get used to it. In my option a week would be too short for that and a month too long. I would also do this in the weekend but I think that this was already planned ^^

♦ People need to register, but how do we choose who's in and be fair? (yes there needs to be a limit on entries)
I think the only fair way to do this is via a generator/raffle system thanks to timezones and stuff like that. If I made a event like that I would make a registration topic where people could sign up and let this topic open for a whole day (Let's say on a friday/day before the tournament starts) after that you lock the topic, go to a raffle site and just let it generate people until all the spots are filled.

I wouldn't add a rule that if you were in one tournament then you can't be in the next one, especially if this will be a monthly thing. From what I experienced it's very hard to find a normal 6 vs 6/VGC match on Pokemon since most people on XY love to bring shoiny ubers with them. The only way to do this is via the replaychat or making a topic on that forum but that can also take a while before you finally find some matches to fight against.

so I would appreciate it if this rule wasn't added since tournaments are a great way to find fun matches.

♦ Reporting matches (Just reply in the tournament thread?)
As you said in the topic I think with just leaving a reply in the tournament thread is the best way to do this.

♦ Anything Else?
I would also generate some more people after the spots are filled as 'reserves' since I know how annoying it can be when someone doesn't show up. If you do this then you can replace that person easily without making too much trouble around it. I would also give that person who didn't showed up a "penalty" for the next tournament so that he/she can't join. (Well of course it's different if that person has a reason for it but i'm talking about people who just don't show up because they don't feel like doing it anymore)

I agree with this. But a monthly tournament would be better in my opinion. Blush