Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Interesting breeding question
So I had a thought about the viability of passing moves that were formerly accessible as TMs in earlier generations, but are no longer. My understanding is that, as of gen 6, these moves can only be bred onto offspring before transferring them to Gen 6, which also limits what other moves, abilities, and even things like Pokeball inheritance can be valid with them. This would of course only apply to moves not learned by the offspring as level up moves (like say, Iron Tail on Aron), which can be passed by both parents knowing the move.

Here's an example: say I want to teach Endure to a Rattata (for a Reversal set or something, reason's not important). Rattata can learn Endure through TM in Gen 4, and therefore a female Rattata bred with a male Buneary knowing Endure would produce offspring knowing Endure. However, as of Gen 5, Endure is no longer a TM, and since Rattata doesn't learn Endure as an Egg or Lv Up move, the same Rattata and Buneary bred in gen 5 cannot produce an Endure-knowing offspring. This means that no Rattata knowing Endure can also have its Hidden Ability, Hustle (released in Gen 5), nor any egg moves learned Gen 5 or later (like Final Gambit).

So, my question is this; if one were interested in breeding Pokemon with moves they can only learn by TM in earlier generations, is there any way I'm overlooking that allows the passing of these moves in Gen 6, or are you forced to do your breeding in the earlier generation?
-sandragon13
Be sure to check out my Otaru Regional Fakedex.  Updating regularly with new Fakemon.  Always looking for feedback!
Basically you just answered your own question there. As long as the Pokemon is able to know the move via breeding (Egg Moves), then you aren't restricted breeding it in the current Gen 6 breeding mechanics. Unfortunately since Rattata doesn't have Endure in its Egg Move movepool, it cannot learn the move without going to Gen 4. Part of the reason is most Pokemon were able to learn TMs as Egg Moves in previous Generation, however that has changed with TMs no longer being able to be passed down. Since Endure isn't an Egg Move for Rattata and has since lost its TM status in Gen 5, you are basically forced to breed there unless you don't want to have the HA ability Hustle or Gen 5/6 Egg moves like Final Gambit.