Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Kanto Cup Help Needed
Hello all!

Please don't feel daunted by the wall of text. I need your help and I'm starting to panic as there isn't much time left to prep for the kanto classic.

I am currently having a little bit of a dilemma. Here's the situation:

I have a team that I am breeding for right now, but I don't know what to do for my sixth member.

The team:
Gyarados (Bulky variant); max denfenses, intimidate, thunder waver
Magneton (Physically bulky); switch initiative, thunder waver
Alakazam (special sweeper); Fastest on the team, probably hardest-hitting on the team
Wigglytuff (Specially bulky); Wish support, rocks
[Or should I go with Clefable? Feel free to give me advice on this too!]
Hitmonchan (Bulky physical attacker); Attacks, rapid spinner
Team member 6: Option 1or 2?

Option 1: Sandslash - My favourite pokemon in his native generation - what's not to love? His typing fits in to the point where on my team, no two pokemon have the same weaknesses. He is better than option 2 and 3 (in terms of synergy) defensively but is weaker offensively. However, When I'm entering this competition, I want someone I know all too well on my team. I want my best friend by my side (I know this is a bit sappy but meh.) He can rapid spin. He can set up rocks. He can defend. he can hit quite hard. STAB Earthquake and stone edge - an awesome combination. My team is quite defensive right now but I think that's how I play. I have plenty of knowledge and experience with Sandslash.

Option 2: Rhydon - His typing doesn't synergize quite as well with the rest of the team as option 1 but he can be a bit of well-needed offense. STAB Eathquake and STAB Rock Blast - Nothing in gen 1 resists both. Truly an offensive powerhouse with those stats. He can also set up rocks. He can hit incredibly hard with an unresisted STAB combination. As said before, my team is quite defensive. So maybe a bit of physical attacking goodness is what I need? I have no experience with rhydon but I have used rhyperior in the past.

Who should I pick?

Thanks in advance!
Firstly, run Dragon Dance Intimidate Gyarados max speed max attack Adamant, max speed max special attack Timid Magneton as a pivot because a physically bulky variant doesn't even work (though a specially defensive one might, you never know), Substitute Alakazam with 3 attacks or maybe even 2 attacks plus Calm Mind.Taunt, Clefable over Wigglytuff because Clefable is one of the strongest mons in this format as opposed to Wigglytuff who is pretty mediocre... yeah that's it

Use Sandslash.
[Insert signature here]
Marcusube,

Nice to see you again Smile
Could you explain the fast magneton set? I don't think base 70 speed is enough to warrant a fast pivot set. The bulky magneton I was planning on using will have sturdy, if that changes anything. Thank you for your help with the Clefable vs Wigglytuff dilemma and also for your help with the main problem of Rhydon vs Sandslash. Could you explain your reasoning to me?

Thanks!
+1 rep to ye!
In the case that a Pokemon who is not invested in speed but is naturally faster than a Magneton without speed investments. Pokemon like Arbok, Venusaur, Nidoking, Arcanine, Poliwrath, Cloyster and Gyarados.

Modest nature just allows Magneton to hit more desirable damage rolls such as being able to OHKO Slowbro, a feat which the Timid variant cannot achieve, however, Timid Magneton generally outspeeds more Pokemon.
[Insert signature here]
Oh, okay. Thanks for the explanation Smile