Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[MUSIC] Do you play an instrument?
i play trombone. ive played it for 3 years and im pretty good at it. i also play trumpet! :D
Discord: Xander#9873, I'm back on ORAS, and I always love talking to anyone
"Clothes"
(Oct 2, 2015, 04:56 PM)RebornFX Wrote:
(Oct 2, 2015, 07:13 AM)RumiRenellia Wrote: Well, I play the piano... I've played for about... 12 years almost? Honestly, I'm not all that good because I'm pretty stumped where I am... I'm not getting any better but my parents still make me do it...
I also sing but just for fun or for my Music assessments since I do Music at school u vu [Not great at that either]
So to be honest, I'm a pretty mediocre musician ; w;
Practice-wise, my parents pretty much make me sit down from 1-3 hours a day... but if I'm out all day, they won't. But after a lot of going out, my mum will probably make me sit at the piano for the whole day... It's happened on a few occasions. [From 12pm-7pm]
Although I'm forced to play the piano, I do have my preferences while playing... Usually I like playing chords and singing over them... but when I'm not doing that, I prefer Rag Time or Romantic Period pieces... Two contradicting ideas but they're fun. :D

That's really sad to hear that you're forced to play. If you feel like you're stuck where you are, try playing in a group. For example, I had a friend who was classically trained who was getting tired of it so she joined a small jazz group I was in. It made her want to play, and just practicing a different genre and enjoying it is better than not enjoying it and not pushing yourself. At the end of the day you need to play because you want to, it'll be more productive and a lot better.

And don't put yourself down, I'm sure you're a lot better than you think/say you are.
Dont get me wrong... I dont hate it.. I just dont appreciate the fact that I'm forced to play songs I don't enjoy for hours on end u vu
I enjoy playing the things i want to but it kind of makes me upset that I have to play songs I don't like as much.
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
Im OK with a keyboard, but I do primarily vocals, clean or otherwise.
I play Trombone and I'm in the process of preparing some audition stuff for Uni since I want to major in Trombone Performance.

I've been playing Trombone only for about 4 years but I've played Euphonium for about 7 so the transfer was pretty easy. I understand musical theory enough to play Piano and sing as well but I do those as a time killer mostly.

I don't limit myself to a genre either but its mostly Classical and Jazz

I practice about 1-2 hours a day as well but I have a bad habit of not playing when I'm tired, which i end up regretting the next day when I sound like poop.

EDIT: Also I played Baritone Horn for the Boston Crusaders in 2015. Check them out on youtube (shameless plugging)
(Sep 27, 2015, 02:43 PM)RebornFX Wrote: Me personally, I've been playing bass for about 5 to 6 years. I practice roughly 1-2 hours a day and although I wouldn't say I limit myself to particular genres I play mostly Jazz, Funk and Metal.

AHH BASS IS BEAUTIFUL. Even more so confirmed after watching Mio playing it in K-ON! (the anime) *dies and goes to heaven
Not just that though - it's like the base of nearly any song in the entire world - people normally wouldn't really focus on the bass - but without it, it feels like life just got suck out from a song!

(Sep 27, 2015, 03:11 PM)Eckley Wrote: Naitre is Squidward, confirmed
I LAUGHED SO HARD.

(Sep 28, 2015, 11:36 AM)AsmodeusInferno Wrote: Lead guitar. 6 years. Raunchy rock n roll, old school death metal, power metal.
Awe man you're probably master at them sweep picking and crazy solos - salutes to ya! That's what I'm aiming for after my big exams this year before uni!

- - -

I play the piano since I was 4, hated it cause my teacher forced me to do stuff I didn't like, quit at 14.
Saw Kurt Hugo Schneider on Youtube, instant inspiration for me to take up piano on my own, at my own pace again. I have never regretted since.
Started acoustic guitar after I quit piano, loved it to bits, so I self taught myself and in a year I was playing Sungha Jung's pieces by playing and pausing his videos - fingerstyle guitar is my jam until now ^_^
At 16 I went to electric guitar classes and I'm loving all the different genres and techniques one can put into guitar playing!! Loving country, rockabilly, rhythm and blues guitar - dead fun!
And I love creating music and writing my own songs really a lot. Been making and producing my own music for about 4 years now - needless to say music is literally playing an enormous part in my life :D
Probably the slowest Kalos trainer ever: Over 150 hours & still at Coumarine City.
Check out our egg giveaway - The Egg Collaborations

Do not PM me for now - inbox full!
(Oct 12, 2015, 10:03 AM)weisakura Wrote: -snip-

You really start to appreciate what people can do on guitar when you try it on bass. Sweeps are freaking difficult especially on bass (then again people like Nathan Navarro and Josh Fossgreen make it look easy), the fact that some people like Yngwie Malmsteen can do them as quickly as they do them blows my mind.

Sungha Jung is a lord :D His covers are freaking beautiful. I love fingerstyle guitar too, I just can't really grow out my fingernails and still play bass Sad

As far as writing music, I write some riffs on acoustic guitar here and there but normally if I feel like writing I just play along to a backing track/loop until I get something I like. The only problem is that if I try to turn it into a song, it pretty much has to be instrumental because 1. There's normally too much going on that vocals would just sound out of place 2. I couldn't write lyrics to save my life.
(Oct 12, 2015, 03:12 PM)RebornFX Wrote:

You really start to appreciate what people can do on guitar when you try it on bass. Sweeps are freaking difficult especially on bass (then again people like Nathan Navarro and Josh Fossgreen make it look easy), the fact that some people like Yngwie Malmsteen can do them as quickly as they do them blows my mind.

Sungha Jung is a lord :D His covers are freaking beautiful. I love fingerstyle guitar too, I just can't really grow out my fingernails and still play bass Sad

As far as writing music, I write some riffs on acoustic guitar here and there but normally if I feel like writing I just play along to a backing track/loop until I get something I like. The only problem is that if I try to turn it into a song, it pretty much has to be instrumental because 1. There's normally too much going on that vocals would just sound out of place 2. I couldn't write lyrics to save my life.

I totally understand, I can only really improv and then just pick out things I liked. And while I can comp decently well on a piano or something, I can't write lyrics.
(Oct 12, 2015, 05:32 PM)SaberLXXV Wrote:
(Oct 12, 2015, 03:12 PM)RebornFX Wrote:

I totally understand, I can only really improv and then just pick out things I liked. And while I can comp decently well on a piano or something, I can't write lyrics.

Did I mention I'm a full-on fan of instrumentals guys? Wink
Compose your heart out - there's no need for lyrics mate :P

And mayneee, give the world a crazily catchy bassline and all of us would probably headbang to it until the end of time - #BASSPOWERS
Yngwie Malmsteen is the boss \O/
Sungha's kinda "stiff" now, I think the media's restricting him to more work and less freedom - I can sense it. But other players like Simeon Baker, Tobias Rauscher, Eddie van der Meer -- are still staying true to themselves!
Probably the slowest Kalos trainer ever: Over 150 hours & still at Coumarine City.
Check out our egg giveaway - The Egg Collaborations

Do not PM me for now - inbox full!
(Oct 12, 2015, 07:36 PM)weisakura Wrote: Did I mention I'm a full-on fan of instrumentals guys? Wink
Compose your heart out - there's no need for lyrics mate :P

And mayneee, give the world a crazily catchy bassline and all of us would probably headbang to it until the end of time - #BASSPOWERS
Yngwie Malmsteen is the boss \O/
Sungha's kinda "stiff" now, I think the media's restricting him to more work and less freedom - I can sense it. But other players like Simeon Baker, Tobias Rauscher, Eddie van der Meer -- are still staying true to themselves!

I had never heard of Simeon or Eddie before, but I'm glad you mentioned them they're incredible :o
If you want to hear pure talent, check out Rob Scallon (if you don't know of him already). It seems like there isn't an instrument/genre he can't play.
Some other guys I like are Rob Chapman (His guitars are also beautiful) and Grant Stinnett.

And I like instrumental music when its interesting to me, like SMV, Dream Theater (on songs like Dance of Eternity) and Nok Novum. I'm actually writing an instrumental piece with my guitar teacher, but its mostly just an exercise to see how technically crazy we can write a piece. Weird time signatures, awkward feels, stupid keys (at some parts it's practically atonal) and a ridiculous tempo, not the best sounding piece but it should be a good warm up haha.

(Oct 12, 2015, 05:32 PM)SaberLXXV Wrote: I totally understand, I can only really improv and then just pick out things I liked. And while I can comp decently well on a piano or something, I can't write lyrics.

Improv is pretty much all I do when I'm not practicing to nail a particular lick or something. Unfortunately you can't really play a bass line and a melody on the bass/guitar without two-hand tapping which can be bloody difficult. Loops are definitely my friend Smile
My parents made me play the piano when I was a little kid, about 5 or 6 years old.
Only problem is, I turned out to be a person who goes to punk gigs about twice a week. So much for the piano.

But hey, at least they tried!