Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[MUSIC] Weekly music thread!
yoyoyo im going to be making these weekly so uhh stay tuned if you like those threads. im not a professional at reviewing music at all i just wanna share some songs please dont bully me

Welcome to the weekly music thread where I will be discussing songs, albums or artists I've been listening to this week, and also potentially new releases in different genres! Let's get straight into it!

New releases!

I didn't hear about a ton of new releases this week, but The Weeknd, canadian rnb singer, dropped a 6 songs EP called My Dear Melancholy (has some explicit songs). I'm not a huge Weeknd fan, but his music is pretty enjoyable in general, and this EP is no exception; it's definitely not going to be in my favourites of the year, but it is a good project and I will most likely gonna be coming back to it from time to time. Favourite tracks are Call Out My Name and Privilege.

Rapper Rich the Kid dropped an album called The World is Yours (very explicit), and while it will probably have very mixed reactions since it is pretty much "mumble rap", I personally thought it was alright. It's definitely not a contender for album of the year or anything, but it is pretty decent, and some tracks have a lot of replay value. While tracks like Plug Walk, New Freezer (with Kendrick Lamar) and Dead Friends do not have lot of meaning, the beats, flows and overall sound make up for it, making this a pretty enjoyable album to me. However, some tracks feel like filler and while they aren't necessarily bad, I just don't really see myself listening to them again unless they are in a playlist or something. Favourite tracks would be the tracks I mentioned earlier.

Still in the hip-hop world, Tyler, the Creator dropped a song called OKRA (explicit) as a throwaway, and it is really good for a throwaway. This has to be one of the best distorted 808 I ever heard; reminds me of RonnyJ's production, but on steroids. The flows Tyler has on the song are all really good, though the lyrical content could be better; instead of the more profound songs like those found on Flower Boy, his last album, this is mostly a bragging song talking about his Grammy nomination among other things, which I think is fine since he did drop this as a throwaway. It's kinda short as well, only 2:39, but then again it is a throwaway, and while that doesn't excuse everything, it would be unfair to expect an full song. I don't have a lot to say about it since it's a single song, but I definitely recommend it!

What did you think of the new stuff? Let me know!

Stuff I've been listening to!

The Olympians' self-titled album (non explicit, theres no word lol)

I got introduced to this band and their album and it's slowly becoming one of my favourite instrumental albums. I'm a big fan of jazz and soul music, so the retro-soul/jazz/funk sound of this album was perfect for me. The album manages to stay consistent with their sound while having songs that all feel like they have their own place; no songs really sound the same or sound like filler, which makes it even better. While it may not seem like a big deal, the length of the album was also really nice; I feel like sometimes, long albums tend to have more filler songs and become boring quicker, but this 40 minutes album was just perfect. My favourite song by far would be the first track, Sirens of Jupiter, and I also liked Diana by My Side a lot.

Groenland- The Chase (non explicit)

This band from Montreal have been making very enjoyable alternative/indie music for a few years, and I've been listening to their first album The Chase a lot. The production is very nice throughout the whole project, and the strings section of most songs are amazing. A lot of the songs have this very theatrical, kind of ominous sound that I like a lot; for example, the song Immune, my favourite, has a very dramatic feel to it, mostly because of the strings section once again, that makes it stand out a lot, and in a good way. The voice of the singer is also very enjoyable; she has a very smooth voice and her vocal range is pretty nice, she can hit some really beautiful notes. Like the previous album I talked about, every song feels different, there's not a lot of filler, the album as a whole is very well put together and the production on the songs is amazing, I very highly recommend this. My favourite songs are Immune, La pieuvre and Our Last Shot.

I only talked about albums this time, but I will also talk about songs and artists as a whole in the next threads, so stay tuned for that if you want to read about more stuff!

Finally, what did you guys listen to this week? I'm very excited to read your replies Smile
I listen to alot of Rock and Pop and stuff in between. 
(A few main artists: Linkin Park, Panic! @ the Disco, Disturbed, MCRX, Ed Sheeran, P!nk, Three Days Grace, 21 Pilots, Green Day, Bruno Mars, and WAY too much Nightcore)
                                        I ΔM DŌVΛ
I listen to basically anything:

P!ATD and... Caramella Girls
I forgot to add the links, sorry about that, every song should be linked now! Couldn't link the new albums but you can find every individual songs on Youtube or look them up on Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, etc. If some links aren't working let me know!

edit: also wanted to thank everyone sharing music you guys are cool
Ok, I get really giddy listening to late 90s - early '00s songs, so here's a couple I've been listening to lately.

No Matter What by Boyzone

If Tomorrow Never Comes by Ronan Keating

As Long You Love Me by Backstreet Boys
OU MASTER RACE
(Apr 3, 2018, 08:28 AM)Kris Wrote: Ok, I get really giddy listening to late 90s - early '00s songs, so here's a couple I've been listening to lately.

No Matter What by Boyzone

If Tomorrow Never Comes by Ronan Keating

As Long You Love Me by Backstreet Boys

Love me some Backstreet Boys!
https://open.spotify.com/album/3t2MF68UA4e3to6qdOS05S
I'm a Rock'n'Roller myself, I listen to the classics religiously. I'm also a bit of a Folkie. 

Some of my favorite songs...

Visions of Johanna - Bob Dylan (my favorite musician)
Ride On - AC DC
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll - The Rolling Stones
Achillles Last Stand - Led Zeppelin
Edge of Darkness - Greta Van Fleet

Lately, I've been really into Greta Van Fleet. They're the first straight up R'n'R band in like 25 years and it's incredible. They've released 2 EPs so far and are set to drop their first full length album mid 2018!

Breeder Scott - Proud Member of the Amethyst 0mega Breeder's Guild

Looking for breedables? Check out my new shop
@ScottyThunder Did you listen to that album? I think you would enjoy it, bnut maybe not. Give it a shot.
(Apr 7, 2018, 10:50 AM)AverageJoe Wrote:  

@AverageJoe Oh man, I haven't heard the Moxies in YEARS! I'm from northeast Ohio, I remember them being huge when I was in middleschool! Yeah, I'll check it out!

Breeder Scott - Proud Member of the Amethyst 0mega Breeder's Guild

Looking for breedables? Check out my new shop