Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Nicknames
I used nicknames in Diamond/Platinum, and the theme was using the names of various musicians/artists that I like. I didn't really go for it in any previous gen, or in Gen V.

With Alpha Sapphire, I decided "why not" and started a new nicknaming theme for my Battle Spot team members. Not the most original idea in the world...I'm just going through various Greek mythological figures. Here's a few of them.

Weavile - "Minos", a king who was appointed as a Judge of the Dead in the netherworld following his death. Weavile's "mane" (or whatever you want to call it) vaguely resembles a crown, so this felt perfect.
Azumarill - "Poseidon", god of the sea. Duh.
Tyranitar - "Ares", the god of war. Pure rage and revelry in violence.
Togekiss - "Artemis", virgin goddess of the hunt, and associated with bows and arrows (Air Slash, anyone?).
Landorus-T - "Atlas", the Titan forced to carry the heavens on his back, because Zeus was a bit of a prick.
Sylveon - "Orpheus", a renowned musician (Hyper Voice) that attempted to revive his deceased wife.
Scizor - "Atropos", one of the Fates that governs the life thread, with Atropos being the one that severs it (like scissors HAHAHAHhahaaaa so cleaver clever)
Metagross - "Talos", a bronze automaton bull forged by Hephaestus to serve Zeus.
Hydreigon - "Hephaestus", crippled (Hydreigon's blindness) god of fire (Heat Wave), metalworking (Flash Cannon), and crafts (....okay, you got me there).

and it goes on like that. I put a decent amount of thought into the name selection. It starts to get weird if you consider the classical relations between these mythological figures in Greek canon...for example, Hydreigon made Metagross, Infernape is the father of Landorus, Talonflame is the father of Arcanine...I don't think about it that much.
I usually nickname mine after food. It's just become tradition by now. Aditionally they are all nicknamed after food in norwegian, so the names are sorta cute/weird.

I have names like:
Nuddel
Vaffel
Suppe
Salami
Skinke
etc. c:
i have 3 charizards called blaze, blazethe2nd and blaze the3rd blaze is from fire red 2nd is from Y and 3rd is from AS breeding a fourth one now for battles
I usually go for funny names, the last team I named was with the beginning of the song Blue by Eiffel 65 si it was like:
1 Pokemon- Yo listen up
2 Pokemon- here's a story
3 Pokemon- About a
4 Pokemon- little guy that
5 Pokemon- lives in a
6 Pokemon- blue world

It was something like that lol, now I am thinking of other funny names or reference to name my new team.