Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] Mega Pinsir Team Build [Rate My Team]
(Nov 9, 2015, 12:11 PM)Continuous Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 12:06 PM)Breeder_Falkon Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 11:28 AM)Continuous Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 11:22 AM)Breeder_Falkon Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 11:19 AM)Continuous Wrote: Other than that hows my team?

I'm not the most experienced VGC player in the slightest, but I like the idea of Hippowdon (Since everyone uses Tyranitar). Are you looking to build a team with mons you like and enjoy playing with, or are you playing to win? If you're playing to win change Hippowdon to Tyranitar (Scarfed probably), and change Pinsir for maybe Mega Salamence. BUT THAT'S ONLY IF YOU'RE PLAYING TO WIN. If you enjoy using the mons you've talked about the most, it's all up to you.
I'm just having fun I hate seeing the same teams being played over and over again so that's why I have Mega Pinsir an uncommon mega that no one really expects

In that case just change what I said if you want. If you're happy with the team then play with what you want to play with :] Just don't expect it to be amazing and beat everything. Good luck man :] Also you could run Quick Attack over Rock Slide on Mega Pinsir because 3 Rock Slides is far too excessive to be honest, and priority is useful, especially since it gets the Aerilate boost on Mega Pinsir :]
I was planning on running quick atk on it but i found out that mega pinsir can outspeed a mega charizard Y with rockslide.  But you are right i do need a priority move so I might change out return for quick atk

You can probably make Rotom-W Specially Defensive and have that as your Zard Y switch in.
it's 2022 and we livin
(Nov 9, 2015, 12:11 PM)Continuous Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 12:06 PM)Breeder_Falkon Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 11:28 AM)Continuous Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 11:22 AM)Breeder_Falkon Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 11:19 AM)Continuous Wrote: Other than that hows my team?

I'm not the most experienced VGC player in the slightest, but I like the idea of Hippowdon (Since everyone uses Tyranitar). Are you looking to build a team with mons you like and enjoy playing with, or are you playing to win? If you're playing to win change Hippowdon to Tyranitar (Scarfed probably), and change Pinsir for maybe Mega Salamence. BUT THAT'S ONLY IF YOU'RE PLAYING TO WIN. If you enjoy using the mons you've talked about the most, it's all up to you.
I'm just having fun I hate seeing the same teams being played over and over again so that's why I have Mega Pinsir an uncommon mega that no one really expects

In that case just change what I said if you want. If you're happy with the team then play with what you want to play with :] Just don't expect it to be amazing and beat everything. Good luck man :] Also you could run Quick Attack over Rock Slide on Mega Pinsir because 3 Rock Slides is far too excessive to be honest, and priority is useful, especially since it gets the Aerilate boost on Mega Pinsir :]
I was planning on running quick atk on it but i found out that mega pinsir can outspeed a mega charizard Y with rockslide.  But you are right i do need a priority move so I might change out return for quick atk

Some friendly advice, DON'T GET RID OF RETURN! Return is the only thing that really makes Pinsir powerful. Get rid of it, and you will notice a severe drop in power. Quick Attack would work, but I prefer Feint. Feint breaks through Protect, which can seriously take people off guard. You already have enough things to deal with Mega 'zard Y and so you don't need Rock Slide, although I would run 148 and Calm on the Rotom, so you can survive a Solar Beam.
(Nov 9, 2015, 12:11 PM)Continuous Wrote: I was planning on running quick atk on it but i found out that mega pinsir can outspeed a mega charizard Y with rockslide.  But you are right i do need a priority move so I might change out return for quick atk

The main draw to using Pinsir over Salamence in my opinion is the fact that Pinsir is that Pinsir is able to use Feint to punish obvious Protects. Other than that, Salamence has a better typing, pre evolution ability, bulk, variety in sets (special, mixed, bulky dd etc.) and both can outspeed and OHKO Zard Y and have a decent matchup against Kangaskhan. I would say in doubles you'd be better off with Feint over Quick attack, since they both get an Aerialate boost, has higher priority and can nullify Protect. I would use Feint over Rock Slide for the reason I will explain next.

As you mention, Hippowdon is slow, which is often something you don't want in a VGC team. Having a Pokemon which cannot put pressure on your opponent essentially puts your partner in a 2 vs 1 situation. Your opponent will often leave the non-threatening Pokemon (Hippowdon) and double up on your partner Pokemon and gets a KO, while your Hippowdon simply gets Toxic off on their Pokemon. The thing you see with bulky support Pokemon in VGC like Amoonguss and Cresselia is that they pressure the opponent with redirection and Spore, or speed control or setting up Calm Minds. This Hippowdon doesn't do that. At best it gets chip damage with Toxic, but VGC battles rarely go on long enough for that to make a difference. It's for this reason I suggest swapping it with Tyranitar. I would use a Scarf tyranitar to outspeed Zard Y. With tyranitar's ability to remove the sun and OHKO with rock slide, as well as Excadrill having the same ability in the sand, I don't think you need Rock Slide on Pinsir.

Now just some corrections "Since Rotom is seen as a threat that needs to be taken out right away the lum berry on it is the perfect option."
This is just false in most situations, especially with your spread. Without the special attack investment that more standard sets run, Rotom is unable to secure important benchmarks, such as OHKOing uninvested Landorus-T. Rotom is supposed to be less of a threat and more of an annoyance, being able to deal with bulky waters like Milotic and Suicune and will-o-wisp physical threats. I would recommend changing Volt switch for Thunderbolt, as it allows Rotom to better check bulky waters without having to switch out, as you will rarely KO in one hit. But even if Rotom was an offensive threat, lum berry still wouldn't make sense since it can;t be paralyzed, it doesn't care about burn and toxic is incredibly rare.

I'm surprised I need to say this, but Choice Specs Taunt is not a good idea...Hydreigon has a good perish trap match up, being able to OHKO every Mega Gengar and easily 2HKO (almost OHKO) Gothitelle. And again, beating Klefki with Hydreigon isn't a good idea lmao. If you feel like you need Taunt, put it on Serperior.

As for Serperior, I don't think you understand how to Safety Goggles work. Putting it on a grass type won't change anything, as it already gets past Rage Powder and is immune to spore. All it does is protect it from Hail and Sand damage, which isn't worth a slot.
Due to Serperior's lack of bulk and your use of Sand, Synthesis doesn't make sense. Giga Drain isn't necessary, simply because there are so many threats in the meta that outright OHKO, the recovery isn't worth the moveslot.

Since you say you prefer to use less standard Pokemon, I won't suggest any other Pokemon changes. Other than this, I'll just mention you have a distinct lack of ice and fire coverage, making Salamence and Landorus a problem, as well as ferrothorn. You don't have any form of speed control, making faster teams an issue to deal with, especially if they also have opposing weather. You have only one Pokemon with the move Protect, which is the most valuable move in the format.
(Nov 9, 2015, 01:54 PM)RebornFX Wrote:
(Nov 9, 2015, 12:11 PM)Continuous Wrote: I was planning on running quick atk on it but i found out that mega pinsir can outspeed a mega charizard Y with rockslide.  But you are right i do need a priority move so I might change out return for quick atk

The main draw to using Pinsir over Salamence in my opinion is the fact that Pinsir is that Pinsir is able to use Feint to punish obvious Protects. Other than that, Salamence has a better typing, pre evolution ability, bulk, variety in sets (special, mixed, bulky dd etc.) and both can outspeed and OHKO Zard Y and have a decent matchup against Kangaskhan. I would say in doubles you'd be better off with Feint over Quick attack, since they both get an Aerialate boost, has higher priority and can nullify Protect. I would use Feint over Rock Slide for the reason I will explain next.

As you mention, Hippowdon is slow, which is often something you don't want in a  VGC team. Having a Pokemon which cannot put pressure on your opponent essentially puts your partner in a 2 vs 1 situation. Your opponent will often leave the non-threatening Pokemon (Hippowdon) and double up on your partner Pokemon and gets a KO, while your Hippowdon simply gets Toxic off on their Pokemon. The thing you see with bulky support Pokemon in VGC like Amoonguss and Cresselia is that they pressure the opponent with redirection and Spore, or speed control or setting up Calm Minds. This Hippowdon doesn't do that. At best it gets chip damage with Toxic, but VGC battles rarely go on long enough for that to make a difference. It's for this reason I suggest swapping it with Tyranitar. I would use a Scarf tyranitar to outspeed Zard Y. With tyranitar's ability to remove the sun and OHKO with rock slide, as well as Excadrill having the same ability in the sand, I don't think you need Rock Slide on Pinsir.

Now just some corrections "Since Rotom is seen as a threat that needs to be taken out right away the lum berry on it is the perfect option."
This is just false in most situations, especially with your spread. Without the special attack investment that more standard sets run, Rotom is unable to secure important benchmarks, such as OHKOing uninvested Landorus-T. Rotom is supposed to be less of a threat and more of an annoyance, being able to deal with bulky waters like Milotic and Suicune and will-o-wisp physical threats. I would recommend changing Volt switch for Thunderbolt, as it allows Rotom to better check bulky waters without having to switch out, as you will rarely KO in one hit. But even if Rotom was an offensive threat, lum berry still wouldn't make sense since it can;t be paralyzed, it doesn't care about burn and toxic is incredibly rare.

I'm surprised I need to say this, but Choice Specs Taunt is not a good idea...Hydreigon has a good perish trap match up, being able to OHKO every Mega Gengar and easily 2HKO (almost OHKO) Gothitelle. And again, beating Klefki with Hydreigon isn't a good idea lmao. If you feel like you need Taunt, put it on Serperior.

As for Serperior, I don't think you understand how to Safety Goggles work. Putting it on a grass type won't change anything, as it already gets past Rage Powder and is immune to spore. All it does is protect it from Hail and Sand damage, which isn't worth a slot.
Due to Serperior's lack of bulk and your use of Sand, Synthesis doesn't make sense. Giga Drain isn't necessary, simply because there are so many threats in the meta that outright OHKO, the recovery isn't worth the moveslot.

Since you say you prefer to use less standard Pokemon, I won't suggest any other Pokemon changes. Other than this, I'll just mention you have a distinct lack of ice and fire coverage, making Salamence and Landorus a problem, as well as ferrothorn. You don't have any form of speed control, making faster teams an issue to deal with, especially if they also have opposing weather. You have only one Pokemon with the move Protect, which is the most valuable move in the format.

Didn't see the Specs taunt. Missed that. Cheers for picking up what i'm putting down a bit more xD you're definitely the guy for it.
it's 2022 and we livin