Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[ORAS] Proven (not confirmed) way to Shiny Chain using DexNav!
(Dec 3, 2014, 09:48 AM)evilsabre Wrote: Out of interest paul what was the search level when you found the shiny? i'm thinking that might be the influence and the people who aren't finding are hurting their odds by resetting to save repels but i could be wrong.

Search level was 530
ok so it might be search level related then rather than chain related but kinda hard to confirm what is actually effecting the shiny rate if anything XD
(Dec 3, 2014, 12:49 PM)evilsabre Wrote: ok so it might be search level related then rather than chain related but kinda hard to confirm what is actually effecting the shiny rate if anything XD

Yeah it's hard to determine whether or not search level is involved at all. I mean, it would make sense that the more you chain, the more likely of a chance you will have in order to catch a shiny. The more you chain, though, the higher your search level gets (just as a side effect). I don't know what kind of experiment you would have to do in order to test search level.

On the opposing side, obviously search level is there for a reason. Is it a way to keep track of your chains? Is it a way to know how long you've been going after the Pokemon since you've had the game? I mean, if you look at it from this perspective the search level should have to serve another function.

Unfortunately, nothing is confirmed yet; but so far because there is no significant evidence that the search level of a Pokemon will help you find a shiny, I would say at this moment it does not. Obviously, I could be totally wrong and this could change in the future.
(Dec 3, 2014, 04:30 PM)Jack Wrote:
(Dec 3, 2014, 12:49 PM)evilsabre Wrote: ok so it might be search level related then rather than chain related but kinda hard to confirm what is actually effecting the shiny rate if anything XD

Yeah it's hard to determine whether or not search level is involved at all. I mean, it would make sense that the more you chain, the more likely of a chance you will have in order to catch a shiny. The more you chain, though, the higher your search level gets (just as a side effect). I don't know what kind of experiment you would have to do in order to test search level.

On the opposing side, obviously search level is there for a reason. Is it a way to keep track of your chains? Is it a way to know how long you've been going after the Pokemon since you've had the game? I mean, if you look at it from this perspective the search level should have to serve another function.

Unfortunately, nothing is confirmed yet; but so far because there is no significant evidence that the search level of a Pokemon will help you find a shiny, I would say at this moment it does not. Obviously, I could be totally wrong and this could change in the future.

pretty much my thoughts but the best indicator would be to find out the average chain length and compare it to the average search level problem is people SR to save repels and for all we know that might be counter productive this gen and we can't work out the difference without data to compare if i had the data i could start to get confidence intervals and we cud check to see if there any effect at all.

edit: search level currently is confirmed to effect iv's up to 3 max due to level other 3 will still be random, ha can be got with higher search level and the odds increase with level if u believe in game wording lastly you can get egg moves (from my experience you get rarer egg moves the higher your level). Not a huge leap to assume it effects the shiny chance thus chaining would increase the odds but the increased odds would ironically be a side effect since the chain length would be irrelevant. Of course all still theory.
(Dec 3, 2014, 04:40 PM)evilsabre Wrote: pretty much my thoughts but the best indicator would be to find out the average chain length and compare it to the average search level problem is people SR to save repels and for all we know that might be counter productive this gen and we can't work out the difference without data to compare if i had the data i could start to get confidence intervals and we cud check to see if there any effect at all.

Yeah, the point about the repels is actually a really good point. To me, it would honestly make sense that Nintendo might want to make Shiny Chaining more costly (so that you are forced to buy and use repels and not SR) by enabling the search level to have an actual function in chaining shiny Pokemon.

If the chance of finding a shiny Pokemon is the same as XY (after 40 chain 1/200 chance), then I don't think taking the average chain length and comparing it to the average search level is a good way to measure this. I guess statistically, you're most likely to find a shiny by chain 240 (though I am not 100% sure, the average chain length would not matter in what I am trying to point out, though) . Problem is, someone's search level may be higher than the 240 chain from past chaining or searches they have done. Chains could break after like 20 or 100, then they could do like a 300 chain straight and catch one; so I don't think comparing them in that fashion would really work?
the average chain length vs the average search level though would be an indicator of what value matters more as if the search level is vastly higher it likely means that people are doing huge chains ( numbers of chains) before getting shinies therefore search level might be the stronger factor than chain but it has a much lower effect on the odds. either way i'm assuming with how easy it is to chain the odds are much lower at a 40 chain than in X/Y otherwise we would be more confident in this method than we are atm...
Alright, so from what I gathered, this definitely works! Now, keep in mind I have shin charm, but I got a shiny kecleon a few hours ago, and a shiny lotad last night. for lotad, my chain was pretty short... I think it was between 25 and 40. no more than 40, but I dont even think it was that high. The kecleon chain was about 150 or so. I notice that the more encounters you do, the more likely you are to find higher IV/egg move pokemon. The shiny kecleon I caught even had an adamant nature, 3 ivs (3 star potential).
what was the search level mazzie when you caught then?
I used this method while training my ninetales. I was next to the safar zone and I decided to chain shuppets and see if the method worked at all and as far as I know it did. I caught a shiny shuppet on the 21st chain and beat the pokemon league and completed the delta episode with it. now a shiny banette level 60 while I caught it with this method I had its search level at a solid 200 from previous training using it for horde battles. so it could have just been something that happened after I started focusing on just it with the dexnav rather than chancing more and more wingull encounters with the horde method

Also, if this wasn't discovered yet. my combusken evolved just now into blaziken while I'm working on trying to chain a buneary with this method and the evolution did not mess with the chain at all. I know this because the lvl 34 buneary's didn't go back to 30-31. so if this is the right method for shiny chaining then pokemon evolutions no longer break the chain
well to me its starting to sound like the search level matters more than the chain since many people are saying they get it around 200 chains so unless they are not soft resetting between chains to save repels their search levels will be around 200-250 very similar to stormfoxs search level upon shiny encounter. While is still all guesswork i think i'm starting to notice a pattern keep posting your chain results guys including both search levels and chain length when you encounter a shiny.

Hopefully we can get a more complete picture of how search level vs chain length affects the shiny rate i mean we know chaining is worth it since it garentees the next pokemon is the one you want but it would be interesting to know if you would be better doing horde battles to get search level up first before you chain for the shiny.