Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Pokemon GO Release Date 2016 Video and Info Thread
(Sep 11, 2015, 06:36 AM)nlough Wrote:
(Sep 11, 2015, 06:26 AM)Black117 Wrote: I am actually interested to see how much involvement Game Freak has in the development of this project considering they are the ones who make the main series Pokemon games after all. Rarely do I see Game Freak involved in such spinoffs since they are usually the ones that tweak the battling system and developing a potential story,but since this is an app I highly doubt the latter is the case. Regardless I think people are too dismissive of a product we still don't have as much info on so lets just wait until once the app is release to see if it truly lives up to the main series games.

I think most people, including myself, are dismissive of it because they're advertising as if 3D holograms of the pokemon are going to appear before you out in the real world when really you'll only be able to see them on your phone.

Another issue I have is how the app is going to run. Is it going to use up a ton of data while you're catching a pokemon?

No offense, but do people REALLY think that 3D holograms are going to pop out of their phones because of the trailer?

Look at the commercial they ran when ORAS came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl3Ptnns9c8

That commercial showed 3D models of Pokémon roaming around with actual people and no one thought that the Pokémon were going to pop out of the screen. If that's someone's legitimate gripe with it then I don't know what to tell you. The trailer is just showing how it will bring people together. You have to use your imagination for the rest.
(Sep 11, 2015, 07:34 AM)DanielJames Wrote:
(Sep 11, 2015, 06:36 AM)nlough Wrote:
(Sep 11, 2015, 06:26 AM)Black117 Wrote: I am actually interested to see how much involvement Game Freak has in the development of this project considering they are the ones who make the main series Pokemon games after all. Rarely do I see Game Freak involved in such spinoffs since they are usually the ones that tweak the battling system and developing a potential story,but since this is an app I highly doubt the latter is the case. Regardless I think people are too dismissive of a product we still don't have as much info on so lets just wait until once the app is release to see if it truly lives up to the main series games.

I think most people, including myself, are dismissive of it because they're advertising as if 3D holograms of the pokemon are going to appear before you out in the real world when really you'll only be able to see them on your phone.

Another issue I have is how the app is going to run. Is it going to use up a ton of data while you're catching a pokemon?

No offense, but do people REALLY think that 3D holograms are going to pop out of their phones because of the trailer?

Look at the commercial they ran when ORAS came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl3Ptnns9c8

That commercial showed 3D models of Pokémon roaming around with actual people and no one thought that the Pokémon were going to pop out of the screen. If that's someone's legitimate gripe with it then I don't know what to tell you. The trailer is just showing how it will bring people together. You have to use your imagination for the rest.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you. I knew from the start the 3D holograms were fake and they were just using them for the purpose of the commercial. What I meant was the commercial was making it appear to be a whole lot better than it's actually going to be. Maybe it's to early to judge, but for now I'll just carry my 3DS and Pokemon games with me.
(Sep 11, 2015, 08:08 AM)nlough Wrote: I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you. I knew from the start the 3D holograms were fake and they were just using them for the purpose of the commercial. What I meant was the commercial was making it appear to be a whole lot better than it's actually going to be. Maybe it's to early to judge, but for now I'll just carry my 3DS and Pokemon games with me.
Yeah a lot of companies tend to overdo there commercials just to get more people to download it, usually it's not a bad thing but it might come to backfire when people see the final product, I love the idea of pokemon go but like most things I don't have a high expectation for it, but I'll still play it to see how it fairs, but like you said for now I'll just stay with my 3ds Wink
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
(Sep 11, 2015, 06:02 AM)DanielJames Wrote: Both Nintendo and Pokémon are incredibly smart for releasing something like this. Like it or not, cell phones are the future of portable gaming. You can try to ignore that fact all you want, but it's not going anywhere. Handheld gaming consoles like the 3DS will still be around, but look at it from Nintendo's point of view: How many people in the world have a Nintendo 3DS? Okay, now how many people have cell phones? My point is made.

Pokémon GO gives Nintendo another platform to release Pokémon games. If I read correctly, Junichi Masuda hinted that this app will be compatible with the main series Pokémon games. Who would seriously have a problem with that!? Think about it, you can catch a Pokémon while out and about in the real world, and then transfer it to your game. Nintendo has always been about creating innovative ideas so this should come as no surprise to anyone.

as a developer (and also working in companies management/marketing) i can tell you, smartphones are only good because of the ROI (return on investment), the games requires nothing to be made (compared to real games) and are made to suck money even tho the games are **** (hello Clash of Clans and the rest of the crap) because they are made to be addictive for addictive users (phones)

and i'm wondering one thing, how will they work with geolocation. geolocation can literally empty your smartphone battery in a few minutes/hours (with something like 1 request every 5 seconds). there is an other way for Android that could work, but for Apple this other way doesn't exist.