Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] First Competitive Team
I will be honest, I have never made a competitive team before so I'm a little scared of trying it out. However, I know that I can get help learning about what works well together from the feedback here, so here's a team that I want to try. It's a bit Attack oriented trying to take down the opponents fast, but I don't know if it would work. Any help would be really appreciated to learn the ropes.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Rhyperior @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Megahorn

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Dark Pulse

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 176 SpA / 72 SpD
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Fang
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 208 SpA / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Helping Hand
is this for singles or for doubles?
Yea I can't tell if this is for singles or doubles. You have Gliscor, Rhyperior and (arguably Blastoise), which makes me think this is singles. On the other hand though, you have helping hand on Sylveon...so maybe it is doubles? Then again maybe not because none of your people run protect...so singles? Also, I think your team could potentially function well under trick room with some adjustment. I just don't know if this is for singles or doubles though xD
Whether it's for singles or doubles, I'd recommend replacing Dark Pulse with Trick on Rotom.
Can rotom even learn trick room? Plus he's wearing a choice scarf. Seems like a bad move to get locked into
True, I'm more used to a Singles battle style, sorry I didn't mention that earlier. I figure I should try to work on that to learn to better predict my opponents moves. However, if I was wanting to run it as a doubles, who should I switch out? I'd like to at least keep Blastoise, Aegislash, and Rhyperior to have a couple of heavy hitters.
If its singles i suggest Assault vest Rhyperior, also replace Draining kiss for shadow ball on Sylveon and helping hand for moonblast and instead of choice specs put leftovers. Also use this website for sets on pokemon it will make things easier. http://www.smogon.com/
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
Thanks Mudkip. I thought about doing that for Sylveon trying to decide for Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast. I've used Smogon to look things up, but like I said before this is my first time trying to do a competitive team since normally I'm just casual with it. I'm trying to figure out what works well together.
For singles, what MudkipLegend suggested is very viable. Also just realized none of your pokemon can run trick room (I think). If you are running specs Sylveon, remove draining kiss and helping hand for moves with better coverage. My specs Sylveon runs the following moves : Hyper Voice, Psyshock, HP Ground, and Shadow ball. HP Ground is so nice because it let's Sylveon hit 5 different types, most importantly steel types, for super effective damage. If you are running leftovers Sylveon, I see a lot of things you can do. Toxic, Wish passer, Calm mind. It's up to you. Other than that, I think this is a very solid team for singles. I would definitely have a hard time with this one.

For doubles, I think one of the most important things a developing competitive battler should know is how important protect is. Whether it is to scout, or stall out a turn of burn, tailwind etc, you always want to run protect on a non-supportive pokemon if you can. On Blastoise, I would get rid of Dark Pulse for Protect. It gets boosted by mega launcher, but ice beam is so much more important when you look at pokemon used in VGC this year. For Rhyperior, I would replace Megahorn for Protect. Megahorn is very powerful but you will see how much more important protect is. Plus, if you have Gliscor in at the same time and another pokemon threatens Rhyperior, you can protect and then earthquake. Just an example of many situations. If you really don't want to replace it though (which I think you should though), I would run assault vest Rhyperior. He will be a tanky set that can deal massive damage. I would reset the EVs with a reset bag and give HP and Attack for the second one though. For Rotom Heat, I would take off the scarf. You never want to scarf yourself into Will-O-Wisp. At the same time, you don't want to replace Will-O-Wisp because you definitely want to cripple pokemon like mega-khangaskan. I would put safety goggles or sitrus on Rotom Heat. Safety goggles will counter spore from pokemon like amoongus or t-waves from prankster thundurus. I would personally also replace dark pulse with thunderbolt because volt switch is not a guaranteed OHKO on pokemon like talonflame, and thunderbolt is if it is standard build. for Aegislash, I would replace Shadow sneak for wide guard. Wide guard is such a clutch move that allows you to protect your team from incoming earthquakes, Rock Slide etc and retaliate with your other pokemon. It will come much more in handy than shadow sneak in my opinion. Gliscor looks fine to me. I would personally replace roost with protect,toxic, or tailwind. Since your team can't learn trick room, having that tailwind support can put so much momentum in your favor. That is just me though. For Sylveon, I would have leftovers. Specs is nice, but you never want to lock yourself into any non-damage move. I would also replace draining kiss for shadow ball, HP Ground, or Protect. I personally would go protect for that extra leftovers recovery. With these adjustments, I think your team will be a real threat in doubles.

Edit: I was too lazy to think of a switch out pokemon so I worked with what you had :D
Thanks Viet, i will definitely consider everything that you just said. Most of what you said I had already thought of such as wide guard for Aegislash and leftovers for Sylveon. I've noticed that I think more about going for hard fast hits to get quick KO's and that I need to think about protection and support moves more if I want to try out doubles. Thanks again for helping out