Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] First rain dance team
Tried to be creative. Feel free to be as rude as you want, as long as I learn something from it.

Politoed @ Damp rock
Trait: Drizzle
Nature: Timid
EV’s: 152 Hp, 132 Spe, 100 Def, 126 Spd

Scald
Endure
Endeavor
Focus blast

Kingdra @ Binding band
Trait: Swift swim
Nature: Modest
EV’s: 204 Spa, 176 Spe, 96 Spd, 34 Def

Rain dance
Yawn
Whirlpool
Dragon pulse

Kabutops @ Life orb
Trait: Swift swim
Nature: Adamant
EV’s: 252 Atk, 158 Spe, 100 Def

Rock slide
X scissor
Waterfall
Confuse ray

Volcarona @ Wise glasses
Trait: Flame body
EV’s: 252 Satk, 112 Spe, 106 Spd, 40 Hp

Quiver dance
Hurricane
Bug buzz
Giga drain

Lapras @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EV’s: 204 Satk, 156 Hp, 100 Def, 50 Spd

Freeze-dry
Thunder
Surf
Rain dance

Bronzong @ Light clay
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Sassy
EV’s: 252 Spd, 252 Def, 4 Hp

Light screen
Reflect
Gyro ball
Rain dance
Is this a VGC or Singles team?
[Insert signature here]
(Feb 28, 2015, 02:40 PM)Marcusube Wrote: Is this a VGC or Singles team?
VGC team I guess, not entirely sure about the difference.
VGC is double battles and single battles are usually (AND I SAY USUALLY I KNOW PEOPLE DONT) played under smogon rules. VGC is the official battle style of pokemon worlds. Rules can be found here: http://thejustinflynn.tv/forum/Thread-OR...cial-Rules

Smogon is a community made battle style of which not only their own council, but PEOPLE WHO ALSO PLAY SMOGON AND ARE INVOLVED IN THE COMMUNITY vote on which pokemon they see as over powered. They try to balance the meta game as well as they possibly can while finding hate from many players including a man who dresses like a dog and is pretty bad at pokemon.
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
Oh, thanks, that explanation helped a lot! Well, in that case - I built this team around a single battle strategy, though I feel like it could work in doubles with lots of practise and a few tweaks to the moves and abilities (more protect, perhaps give lapras water absorb). Tell me what you guys think either way, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Not too sure about that Politoed, I'm shaky about the Endure+Endeavor strategy. Focus Blast or Psychic might be moves to consider
I feel like your Kingdra's moveset doesn't maximize its potential. Using Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor, Scald, etc. might be a better idea, as Kingdra can be an excellent special sweeper in the rain.
Using Kabutops is risky. Special Grass type attacks can do some serious damage. Haven't seen a lot of Kabutops in action, but from what I do know, I'm willing to bet that most STAB Giga Drains will OHKO it.
I'm question the Volcarona. Like, really question it. Yes, a 100% accurate Hurricane on a rain team is pretty good, but Volcarona suffers in the rain because it is a Fire type, and it can't use any of its powerful Fire type attacks. And besides, its Hurricane doesn't get the benefit of STAB.
Lapras, huh? Yeah, pretty solid. I think that Lapras is a bit underrated, it can be an excellent Pokemon in rain.
Bronzong, in my opinion, is not as good of a rain screen setter as it used to be in Gen 5. Back then, it was great in rain, with its Ground type weakness eliminated by Levitate, and its Fire type weakness eliminated by the rain. However, not it's weak to Ghost and Psychic type attacks.

There are some Pokemon that work great on most rain teams that I think you should consider:
Dragonite: Powerful Dragon type, and it gets 100% accurate Thunder and 100% accurate STAB Hurricane
Tornadus-T: Another powerful 100% accurate STAB Hurricane user
Latias: A great screen setter, if you decide to replace Bronzong
Mega-Manectric and Mega-Ampharos: Great Megas with access to Thunders that will do lots of damage, considering their special attack stats
Keldeo: Keldeo's just a great Pokemon, and with rain, Hydro Pump will do some serious damage
Ferrothorn: Rain will weaken Fire type moves used against it.

Hope this helps. Give it some thought, huh?
First off, the endure/endeavor strategy on works if the Pokemon is naturally fast which Politoed is not. Since this is a rain team, you will almost always lead with Politoed so I recommend either using Eject Button or Red Card to set up and leave so you can get the Rain back up late game. I changed to moveset to make Politoed more offensive:

Politoed @ Eject Button
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

You can keep your old EV spreads. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with it so I won't argue with that.

This isn't an efficient way to run Kingdra. First of all, Whirlpool only works if you stay in. If you switch in Kingdra, the opponent may switch out into something that handles it easily so the Whirlpool/Yawn strategy would fail. Here is an idea of a good set. The 100% crit Kingdra:

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Flash Cannon

X-Scissors isn't a very good way to deal with Grass types and furthermore, most grass types used are combined with Poison so Rock Slide would be doing more damage. Relying on confusion to happen may be risky with how frail Kabutops is. A set like this would work more efficiently

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Waterfall
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Wise Glasses isn't a good item to use. The extra 10% almost never makes a difference. If you are going to set up Quiver Dance then Focus Sash is the way to go.

Volcarona @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Fiery Dance
- Hurricane

No point in running Hydration on Lapras without considering the Rest/Hydration combo which works wonders since Lapras can recover fully in one turn without any recoil

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Rest
- Thunder
- Rain Dance

Bronzong is great but entry hazards is necessary if you want your sweepers to not get fainted by Focus Sashed and Sturdy Pokemon.

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Here is a look at what your team is weak to

http://www.teammagma.net/teambuilder/?18...37|637|141

Your team is very weak to Fighting, Electric and Grass not to mention Ghost, Rock and Dark. You are going to have to change out some team members to make your Rain team work.

Not a bad team but it needs improvement
[Insert signature here]
Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
- Knock Off

After running a Kabutops on my rain team I personally prefer Low Kick over Rapid Spin. I also run Stone Edge over Rock Slide by then again, my rain team is strictly a singles team.

That's all I have to give opinion on in this team since I've never used many of these pokemon in the rain or at all.
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll start working on an alternative as soon as I can and post it in this thread.
(Mar 1, 2015, 04:06 AM)Maddie Wrote: After running a Kabutops on my rain team I personally prefer Low Kick over Rapid Spin.

Rapid Spin is necessary in case someone sets up Stealth Rocks/Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Sticky Web on her side of the field. Any of these hazards will be game changing since Volcarona takes 50% damage from rocks and Sticky Web drops the Swift Swim boost.
[Insert signature here]