Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Kanto Classic
Hello! I am working on making a team for the upcoming Kanto Classic Competition. To be honest, this is my first competition and I've seen many competitive battles and looked at many different builds for pokemon, but I've never actually made builds or played competitively. I usually just use other people's builds and it just works. Getting to the point, the team I have put together is based on the top 1st generation pokemon in each stat. Chansey for HP, Dragonite for Attack, Cloyster for Defense, Alakazam for Sp. Attack, Articuno for Sp. Defense, and Electrode for Speed. For each of them, I just got builds off of Smogon. I will go more into detail below when I explain each pokemon. I know many submitted teams have calculations for offense and defense, but I don't really have an idea of what might be most common in the competition. If you could give me an idea, I'll gladly put in calculations. Any constructive criticism is welcomed, I would love some tips on adjusting this team. It's going to be a 6v6 singles match, no items are allowed, only the first 151 pokemon are allowed, and Mew/Mewtwo are banned. Onto the team!

[Image: chansey.gif]
Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell

Moves
Toxic allows Chansey to cripple opposing offensive Pokemon with a status effect, thus cutting their sweeps short. Soft-Boiled gives Chansey easy recovery, prolonging her presence on the field. It is crucial to keep Chansey healthy with Soft-Boiled, because she lacks Leftovers. Seismic Toss gives Chansey some offensive presence and will break Substitutes if the foe has less than 404 HP. Heal Bell lets Chansey act as a cleric. Alternatively, Protect allows Chansey to stall out the foe with Toxic, while Stealth Rock can be used to punish opposing switch-ins, allowing Chansey's teammates to sweep more easily.

Set Details
The given EVs maximize Chansey's physical and special bulk. Full investment in Special Defense maximizes Chansey's capabilities as a special wall, and a Bold nature is the best one to make Chansey as physically bulky as possible. Natural Cure grants Chansey an essential immunity to status problems.

[Image: dragonite.gif]
Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Moves
Dragon Dance is the main move on the set, boosting Dragonite's Attack and Speed and setting it up for a sweep. Outrage is a STAB attack that will usually OHKO most opposing Pokemon that don't resist it after a Dragon Dance. Extreme Speed is a +2 priority move that is used to outprioritize other priority users. Dragonite has quite a few other options that it can use on this set. Roost can be used to fix a broken Multiscale and heal off any damage taken, but Dragonite loses important coverage, which is usually more of a downside. Dragon Claw can be run over Outrage for more consistency and to avoid the risk of a Fairy-type switching in and walling Dragonite for a few turns, but the power drop is very noticeable.

Set Details
Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant nature allows Dragonite to hit extremely hard. Maximum Speed investment is necessary to outspeed Pokemon such as Electrode and Jolteon when Dragonite is at +1. Multiscale allows Dragonite to set up Dragon Dance more easily.

[Image: cloyster.gif]
Cloyster
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Moves
Shell Smash is mandatory on this set, as it allows Cloyster to sweep opposing teams late-game. Icicle Spear is its best STAB attack that hits 125 Base Power after all 5 hits and can also break Sturdy. Rock Blast is great coverage for Cloyster and can break through the aforementioned Sturdy due to Skill Link. Ice Shard gives Cloyster a form of priority to sweep past other priority users when they are at low health.

Set Details
252 Attack and Speed EVs allow Cloyster to have maximum sweeping potential. The remaining 4 EVs are put into the Special Defense stat. A Jolly nature is used to maximize Speed, allowing Cloyster to outspeed every pokemon up to Seaking.

[Image: alakazam.gif]
Alakazam
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Moves
Psychic is chosen over Psyshock for the increased damage output as well as the ability to hit physically defensive foes much harder. Focus Blast deals with Steel-types, which Psychic misses out on. Shadow Ball provides great all-around coverage with Psychic and Focus Blast and hits bulky Psychic-types and Ghost- types that the aforementioned two moves cannot deal with. Hidden Power Ice boasts the ability to OHKO Dragonite after Multiscale has been broken. Substitute can also be used, as it allows Alakazam to evade Sucker Punch, status, and scout the foe's moves.

Set Details
Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs with a Timid nature are used so that Alakazam can be as fast and hit as hard as possible, as well as tying with opposing Alakazam and Dugtrio and outspeeding Pokemon that hit base 110-115 Speed, such as Gengar and Starmie. Magic Guard is the superior ability here so that Alakazam is not worn down by repeated switches into entry hazard and status.

[Image: articuno.gif]
Articuno
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Ice Beam

Moves
Freeze-Dry is one of the main draws of using Articuno, as it gives it nearly perfect neutral coverage, hitting Water-types super effectively. Hurricane is a more powerful STAB move that hits Pokemon that resist Ice. Roost is used for recovery, while Ice Beam is used as a more powerful alternative to Freeze-Dry. Substitute in conjunction with Roost can be used to Pressure stall foes.

Set Details
The given EVs are used to maximize Articuno's Speed and power. Using a Timid nature allows Articuno to outspeed positive-natured base 80 Speed Pokemon such as Kabutops.

[Image: electrode.gif]
Electrode
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

Moves
Thunderbolt doesn't force Electrode to switch out and is a bit stronger than Volt Switch, which is used to gain momentum while still doing a lot of damage. Hidden Power Ice provides coverage against Grass-types like Tangela. Signal Beam provides coverage against Psychic-types.

Set Details
Since Chatot isn't anything to be worried about, Aftermath is used instead of Soundproof. The given EV spread allows Electrode to outspeed pokemon up to Persian. An EV spread of 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe with a Timid nature can be used to outspeed Jolly Dugtrio. Another alternative is 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe with a Timid nature to outspeed Timid Jolteon.
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
I like your team and the simplicity of it. What exactly is the Kanto Classic? Is it a tournament hosted by the official Pokémon?

I would remove HP Ice from Alakazam and use Substitute because you already have Articuno and Electrode has HP Ice. Not being able to run Focus Sash on him makes him that much more frail, especially to Sucker Punches, so Substitute would be a better option in my opinion!
(Feb 1, 2016, 08:06 PM)DanielJames Wrote: I like your team and the simplicity of it. What exactly is the Kanto Classic? Is it a tournament hosted by the official Pokémon?

I would remove HP Ice from Alakazam and use Substitute because you already have Articuno and Electrode has HP Ice. Not being able to run Focus Sash on him makes him that much more frail, especially to Sucker Punches, so Substitute would be a better option in my opinion!

Thanks for the feedback! Kanto Classic is the next online competition starting at the beginning of March.

[Image: kantoclassic.jpg]
Region: International
Registration Period: February 24th 2016 - March 4th 2016
Battle Period: March 4th 2016 - March 6th 2016
Battle Type: Single Battle - All 6 Pokémon
Battle Limits: 10 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: Kanto Pokédex.
Item Restrictions: No items.
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew
Entry Gift: Lance's Dragonite

This competition is a Single Battle competition and runs classic rules where you can only use the original 151 Pokémon aside from Mewtwo and Mew and you cannot use items on your Pokémon as well as only using 6 Pokémon. All entrants get a special Dragonite based on Lance's Dragonite from Red/Green/Blue
(Feb 1, 2016, 09:07 PM)Excalibur0126 Wrote:
(Feb 1, 2016, 08:06 PM)DanielJames Wrote: I like your team and the simplicity of it. What exactly is the Kanto Classic? Is it a tournament hosted by the official Pokémon?

Thanks for the feedback! Kanto Classic is the next online competition starting at the beginning of March.

[Image: kantoclassic.jpg]
Region: International
Registration Period: February 24th 2016 - March 4th 2016
Battle Period: March 4th 2016 - March 6th 2016
Battle Type: Single Battle - All 6 Pokémon
Battle Limits: 10 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: Kanto Pokédex.
Item Restrictions: No items.
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew
Entry Gift: Lance's Dragonite

This competition is a Single Battle competition and runs classic rules where you can only use the original 151 Pokémon aside from Mewtwo and Mew and you cannot use items on your Pokémon as well as only using 6 Pokémon. All entrants get a special Dragonite based on Lance's Dragonite from Red/Green/Blue

Dude, how do I get in? I dont have any previous experiences on this kind of event and I would like to participate in. Do I need to register online, or what? Please explain to me.
(Feb 1, 2016, 09:27 PM)Chocolatte_Banane_Pokemon Wrote: Dude, how do I get in? I dont have any previous experiences on this kind of event and I would like to participate in. Do I need to register online, or what? Please explain to me.

http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/28...896a7ce102
Anyone want to help me get a team together for this?
I'm actually going interested in partaking in the Kanto Classic given its 6v6 singles without items. The last time TCPi did this is during XY where people battled 6v6 without items though with all the Pokemon from each generations (bar mythical legendaries).

Now onto the team, the stealth rock weakness is noticeable as most of your Pokemon will take rip damage from it. This is notable especially the Dragonite, Cloyster, and Articuno as they will take considerable chip damage and Dragonite won't take advantage of its Multiscale. Cloyster has access to both Rapid Spin and Spikes so the team can utilize hazards of their own while removing them. Yes this will make Cloyster a utility based-Pokemon but Stealth Rocks imo hamper your team.

Chansey is sorta odd for this team since it needs the Eviolite item to be as bulky. Honestly the only reasons why I'd keep Chansey is to have access to your own Stealth Rocks (which it can learn), T-Wave support to slow down threats like Alakazam, Gengar, Dragonite, etc, and wall special threats. Psychic-types will likely favor Psyshock for their teams to hit Chansey so be aware of this. I kept saying Stealth Rocks on this team as this will break since there are many Pokemon weak to rocks in Gen 1 plus the chip damage will be helpful. So I'd personally would replace Toxic for either Stealth Rocks or T-wave depending on your preference.

If you want a replacement for Chansey, I'd recommend Clefable as it's probably the best Dragonite counter with access to Unaware, Stealth Rocks/T-wave, and can effective run a Moonblast as a great move to spam in this format.

Finally, Electrode should have Foul Play on it set as it can hit physical attackers harder especially those who have setup in place of Signal Beam. I think that's all I have for now so here's the set for the defensive Cloyster and Clefable if you like though these are from the Smogon Dex.

Cloyster
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash

Clefable
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight
One thing i know is Alakazam rules the Kanto. Not sure if it still applies though. Singles without item seems interesting and probably smogon sets are more useful.

By the way goodluck to those joining especially @Black117 is joining too.
I'm a logger
recorder
diarier?

I record my Pokemon journey in this diary

so a journeyer?

Another idea is Iron Head on Dragonite, it is a 2HKO on Clefable, so with a bit of previous damage or switch prediction Dragonite easily deals with it.
Also, you certainly need rapid Spin/Defog, as @Black117 said, as you have a 4x weakness to rocks on Articuno and Dragonite loses its Multiscale to it, which is what allows it to set up and sweep.
Personally I would say Alakazam would be better with Calm Mind, thunder wave, encore, some of the many options he has. He destroys anyway and that way he can also mess up the opponent. But of course that is personal preference and if this works for you...
No Dark and Steel types in Gen 1 @Excalibur0126 :p so Focus Blast for Dark and Steel types isn't that useful xD
it's 2022 and we livin