Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Last Minute Rate.
I am going to Roanoke, Virginia this week for my very first VGC in a VERY long time. Since 2009 to be specific and I don't want to talk about how THAT went. I've done some testing on Battle Spot with fantastic results. Out of 30 test battles I won 24 and lost 6. Enough about the intro, here are the 'mons!

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Rough Skin
252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Earthquake
Poison Jab
Dragon Claw
Protect

I had Fire Fang on this set but I felt like I didn't need it because I had 2 other team members to cover a fire weakness for Chompah. I replaced it with Dragon Claw because, during my Battle Spot testing, Garchomp was having trouble hitting targets with strong neutral damage while his partner (You will see who that is in a moment) was on the field and frankly, that Pokemon does not appreciate an Earthquake. Tectonic Rage becomes base 180 and hits like a semi truck. Poison Jab is your average Tapu check. Protect is a necessity in doubles.

Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Electric Surge
236 HP / 12 Def / 12 SpA / 148 SpD / 100 Spe  
Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Dazzling Gleam
Discharge
Nature's Madness

I personally think that AV Koko is underated. While it doesn't hit as hard as Koko should, it not only lives a lot longer but it also provides support to its partner in crime, the beforementioned Garchomp. Nature's Madness softens up targets so Chomp can get the easy KO, Discharge is spread Electric moves boosted by the terrain it sets, and Thunderbolt and Discharge are STAB. While it loses Protect, I believe it does very well.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Beast Boost
188 HP / 4 Atk / 60 Def / 180 SpD / 76 Spe  
Careful Nature
Heavy Slam
Flamethrower
Leech Seed
Protect

Here comes 1 hour of "_____ had it's energy drained by Leech Seed" and "Celesteela regained a bit of health with its Leftovers". Celesteela is hands down the best tank in the meta right now. With the best defensive typing, an immunity to Earthquake, being the heaviest Pokemon that gets access to a STAB Heavy Slam AND access to Leech Seed, is there anything this Pokemon can't wall? Seriously you name a Pokemon, it'll find a way to completely stall it. The HP investments ensure maximum recovery from Leech Seed and Leftovers and its Special Defense gets boosted every time it gets a KO. Flamethrower enables it to 1v1 other Celesteela and Magnezone. It appreciates Garchomp to scare off Electric and Fire types that might be an issue while also providing Garchomp with an immune Earthquake target. Extra Speed EV's are used to win the Speed tie against opposing Celesteela and to outspeed noninvested Base 70 Speed Pokemon by 1 point.

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Intimidate
236 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature
Flamethrower
Will O' Wisp (Swagger or Helping Hand maybe?)
Snarl
Protect

This is a Pokemon I thought I'd never see in VGC but it has been tearing up the competition. Introducing next, the Fire Doge, Arcanine. Arcanine can be a supporter or a brutal physical attacker. However because of what this team needs, I chose a supporting role set. Mago Berry helps give Arcanine maximum recovery when it hits 30% HP and gives more recovery than Sitrus Berry (I think??). Snarl works great in conjuntion with Intimidate because no matter what type of attacker Arcanine is facing, it will have -1 in its primary attacking stat. Will O' Wisp is to further cripple Physical Attackers and to get some nice chip damage in. I am thinking about replacing Will O' Wisp with Helping Hand or Swagger. Swagger would help give a +2 attack boost to Garchomp and another partner and they wouldn't get confused due to an effect caused by another partner.  Flamethrower hits for a strong STAB.

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Misty Surge
252 HP / 20 Def / 164 SpA / 44 SpD / 28 Spe  
Modest Nature
Scald
Moonblast
Dazzling Gleam (Ice Beam maybe?)
Muddy Water

Here we have our big Special Attacker with some pretty rad shades to boot, Tapu Fini. Tapu Fini likes to be in situations where she can hit her targets for pretty strong damage. Muddy Water is pretty good spread and has a chance to lower accuracy, Moonblast and Scald hit for pretty strong STAB. Dazzling Gleam is a one that I am not sure that I will keep, Ice Beam seems like a good substitute for it and here's why.
OHKO's Garchomp and Salamence:
164+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 288-340 (157.3 - 185.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
164+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 304-360 (177.7 - 210.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If Bulu is present, then Fini and her partner (preferibly Arcanine or Kartana) can KO him before Bulu gets his hooves on Fini.
164+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Fini Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 132-156 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
4 SpA Arcanine Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 108-128 (61 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
148 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 128-152 (72.3 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Fini also brings Misty Terrain, which prevents status conditions on grounded Pokemon for 5 turns. This is why I debated Swagger and why I wanted to get rid of Will O' Wisp on the previously mentioned Arcanine.  

And finally, the last Pokemon.
Kartana @ Focus Sash
Beast Boost
4 HP / 148 Atk / 4 Def / 100 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Leaf Blade
Sacred Sword
Smart Strike
Protect

(I wonder how many sword or knife puns I can make with this entry)  And here he is, the hard hitter that will cut your team to shreds, Kartana. Kartana has made a pierce in VGC as of late, with a monsterous Base 181 Attack stat, a sturdy Base 131 Defense stat and a swift Base 109 Speed stat. This sharp Pokemon is certainly a force to be reckoned with because its physical stats are incredible and is quick on the draw as well. However, its HP and Special Defense are pretty dull. This is why Arcanine is here with Snarl. But when Kartana gets those blades sharpened, say goodbye. Beast Boost already boosts its ridiculously high Attack stat when it KO's something and will keep getting OHKO's when the ball starts rolling. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike are STAB (literally) and Sacred Sword is to help cut down Snorlax and other highly defensive Normal or Steel types.

Well there they are folks. Any suggestions? I might need 'em.
Garchomp set seems standard and it speed with against salamence is 169-167 so no need to worry about him and would live a Hidden power ice from a tapu koko with 28 evs invested in special attack.But it wont live against tapu lele or an ice beam from porygon 2 even without a stat boost and ninetails alolan form and you wont even be able to take them out with 1 hit unless z move.Also Earthqauke after you use a z move is super effective against 3 pokes but they do have protect so its decent.

Tapu Koko seems intersting but a hard counter to it is Togedemaur paired up with gyarados.But other than that its good

Celestella can get OHK0 by a arcanine and it can live against thunder bolts and fire fangs from garchomp so its pretty good but seems like a waste to put 76 evs in speed and not into special attack or defense 

Tapu fini seems nothing like the oridnary sets that are common in vgc

Arcanine seems fine to me but 252 invesment in speed doesnt seem right at all.If you're sacared of being outspeed use bulldoze instead of snarl so that you can make sure your other pokes can outspeed any other threats that can harm your team

Kartana is just fine where it is

Your team is decent but not the best comparing how trick room teams and tailwind teams can easily beat this due to not having a poke in case of trick room.The only thing this suffers from is being outspeed and trick room teams and many pair ups that counter some of your memebers like gyarados and togedmaur letting gyarados set up and sweep your team