Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] My NU Trick Room Team
Hello my friends, it is I, w2. Today I am here bringing you my NU trick room team. I have had pretty decent success with it ever since the day Aggron and Smeargle had dropped to the tier, and over a few weeks, it has become what you are about to see. With my knowledge of Pokemon, and time spent in NU, this team has gotten me into the mid to low 1300's on the smogon ladder; which is quite nice.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 184 HP / 244 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic

CuO (Aggron) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Fire Punch

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 1 Spe
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Bob Woss (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Dark Void
- Magic Coat
- Parting Shot

Beheeyem @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Signal Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Trick Room

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

A nice critique is welcomed. I honestly think my team can be taken further, but I am not good enough to see the path to greatness myself. Any help will be appreciated, and feel free to use this team on showdown if you'd like as it is one of the only trick room teams you will see coming from the NU tier Smile
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?
@w2gMk I currently don't have time to do a complete analysis, but your team looks pretty fun.

0 Speed IVs on a Smeargle with a Jolly nature is a bit contradictory, so I'd recommend running max HP/Speed. Also, since it's for singles, you have no reason to run Dark Void over Spore because of the accuracy. I would personally run rocks on Smeargle and run an offensive Mesprit, but both can work I guess. Now this might seem stupid, but you shouldn't necessarily give 0 Spe IVs plus - Speed nature because outside of Trick Room your team will get rocked. Except for maybe Mesprit, your team is already slow enough to outspeed everything in Trick Room. I personally prefer Superpower over Low Kick on Aggron, but both are pretty good imo. If you can add maybe what you struggle with and add an in-depth description of your team and members, I'll gladly try to make a more complete analysis. Overall, pretty sweet team I must say :]
This team is going to struggle a lot against Dark types especially Liepard and Shiftry. You currently have no Knock Off switch in or hazard removal which can be an issue especially because you're running choice items.

As Elly suggested, I also suggest running an offensive Colbur Berry Mesprit with 3 attacks and Trick Room

Now while you do have Trick Room as an option, you shouldn't base your team on being fully reliant on it. As such you should invest in a cleric of some sort that can keep the bulky offense going. Honestly I would drop Beheeyem for Mega Audino as Audino is a more reliable Trick Room setter and can also WishPass as well as provide Heal Bell. Not to mention it has two STAB moves which are good in the tier - Hyper Voice and Dazzling Gleam. Oh, and it's a good switch in for most of the common attackers in the tier

On Aggron, if you really need a Fighting attack, use Superpower for more consistent damage. A lot of Pokemon in NU are light weight so Low Kick will most likely not even be hitting base 100
As a follow up to my rating: I've used this team on the ladder and it has won me 80% of the games played (estimated). Mesprit doesn't do much for the team other than set up Stealth Rock and provide Trick Room support as well as a Ground immunity. Honestly, I would switch it for Claydol if the Ground immunity is so important (plus Claydol gives an immunity to Electric plus it resists a good amount of typings in the tier) or Mega-Audino as said before. Beheeyem, Aggron and Abomasnow pull their weight , however without Trick Room, Aggron especially falls prey to attacks particularly late game when switch ins are mitigated so I'd run some speed investments (not necessarily 252 but enough to outspeed defensive Torterra or just base 60s and Weezing). I also experimented with Skuntank in place of Smeargle and it actually did pretty well in terms of checking Malamar (barely) who destroys this team plus it provided priority with Sucker Punch and hazard removal with Defog. I feel that running Charcoal on Camerupt and running Hidden Power Electric or Ancient Power would help, also running Stealth Rock in place of Eruption if Mesprit were to be dropped.

It's a fun and viable team to use in the tier but its main issue is dealing with Dark types and not having hazard support
Well.. showdown and its silly automatic IV changes...

Okay in response to Elly, I shall explain my pokemans.

I built this team to utilize smeargle in its ability to be overly predictable. Most, if not all of the smeargles run hazards, spore, and destiny bond which leaves opponents shrugging off smeargle as just a hazard setter. So I made it as a lead trick room setter. With magic coat, smeargle can prevent common taunt leads, such as liepard, mismagius, and archeops from preventing smeargle from setting trick room, fights opposing smeargles, and now and then I can get a free hazard up from slower pokemon such as sandslash which might not go for earthquake. As for dark void's use, it prevents my opponent from blocking my sleep move by simply having a grass type, a vullaby, and various sap sipper pokemon such as miltank, and sliggoo. Essentially wasting my opponents turn, and getting a free sleep status, and limiting what pokemon I have to watch for sleep blocking, such as Xatu, magmortar, and primeape. It makes my decision making a whole lot easier. Parting shot lets me swap out to an appropriate sweeper, while also minimizing damage to them if my opponent happens to wake up. What I have noticed many times, the team generally falls apart if I make a mistake with smeargle.

Mesprit was made as a bulky trick room setter for the purpose of, like smeargle, setting trick room, and pivoting to an appropriate sweeper. Unlike smeargle however, I tried to make mesprit bulky enough to be able to take multiple hits, and to work as a check to priority moves, the most common being mach, and bullet punch(Sucker punch can be avoided by not using U-turn) aswell as be able to not die from most attacks from either attacking type. Overal mesprit has been good to the team, allowing me to keep up pressure with swaps, and protect the rest of the team, while keeping weaknesses to a minimum.

Aggron is a horrific beast when given a choice band. From what I have noticed, headsmash, and heavy slam destroy the entire tier. The only things that give these 2 moves problems are steelix, ferroseed, torterra, physically defensive gastrodon, and opposing aggron. Low kick does consistent damage to steelix, and enemy aggron without dropping my attack, and in the case of a sturdy steelix or sturdy aggron, super power lowering my defense isn't a fun thing to have happening. Unfortunately, my last moveslot is stuck between chosing to hit torterra, or ferroseed. I chose fire punch for the ferroseed. The negative speed nature on aggron is to prevent enemy steelix and aggrons from outspeeding, or speed tying my aggron. All in all, Aggron forces out many things that my 2 stab moves mostly 2hko, especially headsmash which 2hko's many things which resist rock.

Camerupt, oh man do I love camerupt. The choice specs eruption (even after 1 stealth rock switch) is amazing. You can't even begin to laugh at a specs eruption from this guy. From my experience with camerupt, the only things I have to deal with is hariyama, vibrava, mantine, and air balloon ninetales (not very prevalent mind you). Camerupt deals with torterra, and gastrodon is 1hko'd via hidden power grass, if it is a physically defensive set, freeing aggron from any sticky situations. Together, camurupt and aggron's horrendous strength cover each other really well, which is why I decided to pair them together for my trick room core. Now, one problem I have faced between these 2 is barrier, calm mind musharna which relies on moonlight (although aggron checks it pretty hard, its still a problem).

Now this is where the tricky parts have come in. The final 2 pokemon have seen many drastic changes. From a malamar, to a mega Audino, and so far these 2 have given me the most success.

Abomasnow glues the team together perfectly. Being able to take care of any type of defensive pokemon with max attack and special attack, as well as bringing hail to stop musharna from being able to heal and breaking the sturdy/focus sashes of many pokemon, Abomasnow softens up pretty much all team cores I have found, as well as hurting both camerupt, and aggron's more prevelant checks and counters with its great movepool. While hariyama can stop abomasnow's blizzards, it can not stop a wood hammer. Hariyama's bullet punch also cannot directly knock out abomasnow, leaving hariyama no options. Vibrava is not even an issue, gastrodon gets wood hammered, magmortar which may be used to take a blizzard or woodhammer cannot defend from an earthquake. Abomasnow is truely terrifying, and I have found no reason to replace it. You might however. Smile

Finally, we are now down to the one pokemon I always have doubts with.

Beheeyem is one of the pokemon that scream trick room. However, I find it difficult to use. While it functions as an offensive trick room setter, I find that it just cannot survive any hits to set up a trick room. Although if it does manage a trick room, it takes out malamar easily. I'm finding it really hard to do anything with beheeyem honestly, besides its not bulky enough, and the limited turns of trick room restrict my use of calm mind, or nasty plot, which it originally had in place of trick room. Although, before it had trick room my team did have a harder time keeping trick room active, as too much stress was put on mesprit and smeargle. Beheeyem, in my experience isn't really necessary to the team in the slightest. I have tried faster pokemon such as scarf primeape, and choice specs swellow in beheeyem's place, but they haven't contributed to the team either as they commonly get left by themselves with trick room still up. :L

This is how my team functions. The average game lasts around 10 turns and 3 trick room set ups, as I run this similarly to a weather team, where the only thing I have to worry about is keeping my field condition in place. All in all this is a good team. Its one of the best I've made during my almost 3 years of constant NU play. I just don't know how to make it better. Stealth rock isn't a problem, hazards don't worry me too much as my sweepers output too much damage and end battles fast enough for chip damage to not matter unless I play against a dedicated hazard stacking team with ferroseed, garbodor, and smeargle or something. I do agree on the dark weakness being an issue however, but I attribute that to beheeyem, which oddly enough is the thing that hits dark types with super effective damage lol.

Also, I hope you enjoyed my light novel. If there is anyhting you'd liek more clarity on I'll answer it the best I can. :L
George R.R Martin wrote 2016 :L
                                                                        #LillieDefenseSquad

You don't look so well... how bout 50cc's of LINKS!?