Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Please Rate and give tips for My VGC 2015 Team
Hello I Am entering vgc '15 Regionals masters division this year and I was wondering if you guys could rate my team because my wifi from my room is not the best so on rating battles I often get DC'd and that lowers my rating a ton and it's hard to get an accurate scope of if my team is good or not. I win most games that I do not get DC'd but if you could take the time to Rate my team it would be helpful.

I will not include EV spreads incase you are going to the same regionals as me.

I have two teams please rate the both

Team 1

Politoad @choice scarf
Nature: modest
Ability: drizzle
-Psychic
-Scald
-Ice beam
-Earthquake

Thudururs-T @choice specs
Nature: mild (if someone could get me a hp ice modest/timid good iv ORAS caught one without powersaves It would help a lot)
Ability: volt absorb
-sludge bomb
-hidden power ice
-thunder
-volt switch

Venusaur @venusaurute
Ability: overgrow
-sludge bomb
-Giga drain
-sleep powder
-protect

Arcanine @choice band
Nature: adamant
Ability: intimidate
-extreame speed
-flare blitz
-close combat
-iron head

Sylveon @life orb
Ability: pixelate
-psyshock
-protect
-calm mind (when they double protect)
-hyper voice

Landorus-T @leftovers
Nature: jolly
Ability: intimidate
-substitute (should I run sub or protect?)
-u-turn
-earthquake
-Rock slide

Team 2

excadrill @air baloon
Ability: sand rush
-iron head
-protect
-Rock slide
-earthquake

Hippowdon @leftovers
Nature: careful
Ability: sand stream
-ice fang
-earthquake
-slack off (should I run crunch over slack off because recovery is not as common in vgc)
-protect

Azumarill @assult vest
Ability: huge power
-play rough
-Waterfall
-Aqua jet
-knock off

Talonflame @life orb
Ability: gale wings
-brave bird
-taunt
-quick guard
-will o wisp

Hydreigon @choice scarf
Ability: levitate
-earth power
-Draco meteor (I have debated to run dragon pulse over this)
-dark pulse
-flamethrower (I will run fire blast when it is best of 3)

Venusaur @venusaurite
Ability: overgrow
-sludge bomb
-Giga drain
-sleep powder
-protect

-Please rate on a scale of 1-10
-1 being are you a noob???
-10 being if you use this team right you could win worlds

Please share any tips you have, thanks!
  • Why are you running Earthquake on Politoed if it is a Special Attacker, try Encore/Focus Blast.
  • In my opinion,  your Thundurus would benefit more with running Focus Blast/Flash Cannon/Dark Pulse over Sludge Bomb/Volt Switch
  • And I recommend running Protect over Substitute and a Yache Berry over Leftovers.

Lastly, your first team seems heavily based on straight forward attacking which is dangerous if you're planning on winning. I don't know the EV spreads but from face value, your team is lacking in a bit of team synergy as Pokemon in higher speed tiers can out-predict and destroy your team so I suggest running more support Pokemon.

Now for the second team.
  • If Excadrill is the main Physical Sweeper, why not run it with a Life Orb or Lum Berry?
  • The Hippowdon seems more of a support as its main use is to get the sand up for Excadrill to sweep so running Yawn over Slack Off would be nice and also running Bulldoze over Earthquake just to get more speed control so Excadrill has a higher chance of outspeeding.

The thing with this team is that the only means of harming the offenses of the opponent is with Will-O-Wisp. If  someone carries a Lum Berry to counter the status then OHKOs Talonflame, the sweeper goes on rampage and the entire team dies. Throw in something that serves as a means to drop the opponents attack/sp attack and you should have no problem sweeping teams.

Overall I give the team a 6.5/10

Cool ideas but there is room for improvement.
[Insert signature here]
First Team:
Take EQ off of Politoed, stick in Focus Blast. Also, it's a matter of opinion, but I think politoed works better as a support pokemon, something that you lack on the team.
It's worrying that you keep calm mind on Sylveon for "when they double protect". Don't bank on double protects. Players don't often want to risk the double protect since it can completely change the momentum of the game if it fails. They only do it when absolutely necessary. Watch the VGC 2013 Masters top 8 match if you want to see the situations people would use double protects in.
If you do decide to take the choice scarf off politoed, put it on Sylveon. Firing fast, strong hyper voices with a decently bulky pokemon like Sylveon works wonders.
Use protect on Landorus-T.

Team 2:
Again, it's a matter of opinion, but I think that life orb Excadrill is one of the best sets. Although that means you'll do less damage when leading with Hippowdon and Excadrill since you'll have to protect to avoid Hippowdon's EQ
Slack off is fine, I say keep it.
Definitely run Draco Meteor on Hydreigon.
Again, needs more support pokemon. Your only have Will-O-Wisp, you don't have speed control moves like icy wind, bulldoze, or tailwind(which I recommend over using quick guard on Talonflame)
Look out for Rotom-Wash and Gardevoir. They can do a lot of damage to your team if they're the opponent's leads and are used correctly. If the opponents has a Rotom-Wash, bring in Venusaur.

6/10 on both. They're a little to offensive. VGC teams benefit a lot from having support pokemon as well as hyper offensive pokemon. Pick either one or a combination of both depending on the team preview