Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] VGC2015 No Legendaries - Alternative Supporters
This is the team I came up with after reading through the meta game threats on this forum and after reading through Nugget Bridge's article.  I really liked the idea of support Arcanine, so that's where I started.  Right now I'm using Mega-mence, but I don't know if I want to keep it.  I feel like Mega-zard-Y might work better for this team.  So here is my first stab at a VGC2015 team using some alternative supporters.

[Image: arcanine.gif]
Arcanine (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Protect
- Morning Sun

Construction worker Arcanine is here!  I specifically gave him enough speed EVs to out speed a max speed Adamant mega-Kang.  The damage output on this Arcanine is lackluster, so make sure to pair him with one of his stronger teammates or switch him out after weakening your opponent's heavy hitters.  Snarl support works well with Milotic as Milotic definitely appreciates being able to take those thunderbolts from Thundurus better.

[Image: banette-mega.gif]
Banette (F) @ Banettite
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 Def
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Skill Swap
- Thunder Wave

Mega Banette was kind of an unexpected choice.  I wanted a Prankster Taunter and found that it also get's Skill Swap.  Arcanine always appreciates the Skill Swap.  On top of that, it has enough Atk to deal some pain with Knock Off.  The Prankster Thunder Wave is also great for threats you don't want Arcanine to burn.  Thundurus may do this job a bit better, but outside of speed their stats are comparable.  Not having Prankster's priority on turn one is the only thing that makes me want to reconsider Banette at times.

[Image: tangrowth.gif]
Tangrowth (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

I haven't ever seen a tanky support Tangrowth, but it gets Rage Powder so lets do it!  Sleep Powder is not as good as Spore, but Tangrowth has better defenses than Amoongus.  Leaf Storm is there for mega Swampert mostly, but it could probably be changed to Giga Drain for more sustain.  Tangrowth's job is to shield Azumarill and Salamence while they power up.  I decided to minimize Tangrowth's speed so that it could sabotage Trick Room teams with Sleep Powder as it doesn't need the speed for anything else.

[Image: azumarill.gif]
Azumarill (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

This is probably the most standard build on the list, but with all the new threats in VGC2015, Belly Drum Azumarill slips in under the radar.  I decided to minimize Azumarill's speed as well since it's primary attack has priority with Aqua Jet.  Trick Room teams will face a super fast Play Rough.

[Image: milotic.gif]
Milotic (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

This Milotic gets pretty scary without much effort.  It can usually survive a super effective hit to trigger Weakness Policy and grab a Competitive edge from Intimidate.  Icy Wind will OHKO Salamence after a +2 boost from Competitive.

[Image: salamence-mega.gif]
Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Protect

Decided to try physical Mega-mence.  Not much to say about it... It's strong.  Like I said above though, I'm considering Mega-zard-Y or something else for this slot.

Any feedback is appreciated.  I am aware that there are stronger options for support (RE Thundurus), but I wanted to try it without legendaries first.  Also, this is my first post outside of the welcome board.  One of the reasons I decided to register was competitive discussion! Thanks for reading!
The first straight problem I see is that half your team is weak to electric and if Salamence goes you have no counter for it.
(Jan 2, 2015, 11:43 AM)IceyGamer Wrote: The first straight problem I see is that half your team is weak to electric and if Salamence goes you have no counter for it.

Snarl on Arcanine and Rage Powder on Tangrowth helps with some of the electric issues, but I definitely agree. I usually end up trading Salamence for hopefully something threatening, which is why I'm thinking of swapping it for something else.
i am new to VGC(understatement of the year there, im new to competitive too) but i think this team is decent(my teams are hodgepodge mixes of random pokemon i think are cool and wish i could use during the main stories of the games). but im not sure i really should be talking at all. tjfRekt
What I would go with is a mega manectric.i have one on my team.basically don't mega evolve if you see an electric type and with the lightning rod boost draws on all the electric attacks to boost sp.atk.that's awesome for manectric.then mega evolve and start hitting everything with thunderbolt and overheat.one piece of advice.if you have mega manectric the. Add magnet rise to the set to remove the groung weakness,then it has no weaknesses!
Here is a run down on your teams weaknesses. Your Flying, Rock and Electric weaknesses are the most important here since those are common offensive types in VGC. Also you can't over look the poison and Ghost weaknesses because Aegislash and Gengar will give you a rough time.

I recommend running either Flare Blitz or Heat Wave over Protect on Arcanine. That extra offensive will be clutch sometimes in the game so it would be best not to over look it and give Arcanine Leftovers.

Trust me on this, Banette's Prankster Taunt only comes in handy in 2 out of 5 situations in VGC. Disable is better in the case that a choice scarfer such as Landorus-T jumps in and starts spamming Rock Slides, flinching your team and ruining your day. The thing is, most VGC taunters outspeed Banette before it Mega Evolves so you'll must likely get Taunted first.

I see the whole Skill Swap Intimidate strategy thing so I'll give you props for that. Just remember that Banette is borderline useless without the Prankster ability.

In this case, Eviolite Tangela would be a better pick since it is for Follow Me support. You get more SpDef bulk which is always a nice thing when up against Charizard Y and Sylveon. Giga Drain would be better than Leaf Storm just to keep Tangela/Tangrowth around longer.

The offensive Milotic is kinda weird especially because you're running support moves but it can work so I won't complain
[Insert signature here]
you should really add lando t you kinda need it dont be afraid to use legendaries they are apart of the meta game
#teamreplay

"They call me damage"  

#Freewolf

Lets make the Pokemon Forever Forum Great Again!