Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SMOGON] Mega Charizard X Moveset - Physical Attacker
[Image: mega_charizard_x_wallpaper_2_by_glench-d7jxluq.png]
Credits to Glench (deviantart)

[Image: 006mx.gif]
MEGA CHARIZARD X

Mega Typing: Fire/Dragon
Original Typing: Fire/Flying
Base Stats: HP: 78 / Attack: 84 / Defense: 78 / Sp. Atk: 109 / Sp. Def: 85 / Speed: 100
Mega Base Stats HP: 78 / Attack: 130 / Defense: 111 / Sp. Atk: 130 / Sp. Def: 85 / Speed: 100
Immune: None (Burns)
Resist: Steel (x1/2), Bug (x1/2), Fire (x1/4) , Grass (x1/4), Electric (x1/2),
Weak: Ground (x2), Rock (x2), Dragon (x2) ,
Style: Attack
Variant: Physical Attacker
Ability: Tough Claws- Increases the power of contact moves by 33% (1.33)

List of notable attacks tough claws boost:

Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Shadow Claw
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Focus Punch
Outrage
Brick Break
Crunch

Notable Moves:

Flare Blitz
Shadow Claw
Dragon Claw
Heat Wave
Flamethrower
Roar
Toxic
Hidden Power
Protect
Roost
Earthquake
Brick Break
Flame Charge
Rest
Focus Blast
Will-O-Wisp
Sword Dance
Bulldoze
Rock Slide
Dragon Tail
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Ancient Power
Belly Drum
Crunch
Dragon Dance
Dragon Pulse
Dragon Rush
Focus Punch
Outrage
Fire Punch
Iron Tail
Tailwind
Thunder Punch

OVERVIEW
If there is an award for "Most Consistent Mega Evolution in XY OU", it probably go to Mega Charizard X no doubt (not factoring in other broken megas). To be frank, Mega Charizard X has a enough going for itself largely thanks to its new fire/dragon typing, near unresisted STABs, decent offensive stats, and enough coverage, setup options, and support moves that made this mega top-tier. To top it all off, Charizard X basically gets a free no-recoil, life orb thanks to its ability tough claws, which boost the power of its contact moves by 33% coming from a new base 130 attack. Charizard X has a relatively decent amount of moves to abuse from such as flare blitz and outrage, both of which are at base 120 power (not factoring STAB and tough claws boost)! Whats even more frightening, again thanks to its new fire/dragon coverage alone, only Heatran can wall this Mega Charizard to a degree provided it doesn't carry earthquake or if Heatran is severally weakened. Finally, le pièce de résistance of Mega Charizard X: dragon dance. You know that one move Charizard received back in generation 3 as an egg move no one till recently the mad/brilliant people of Game Freak decided "Hey you know what... Let's give Charizard another mega just to complement its new stats." Basically dragon dance gives Charizard X one stage boost (x1.5) to both its attack and speed, further cementing it as among the deadliest OU sweepers in the game. Of course, Mega Charizard's base speed is still 100 and it still has to worry about taking either half (Non-Mega) or a quarter (Mega) of its health to stealth rock damage.  Like I said, there are multiple ways people run Mega Charizard X such as a bulky defensive Will-O-Wisp, dragon dance, all-out attacker, etc.  Today I want to deviate from the traditional dragon dance set and focus on a rather old approach for Mega Charizard X: double dance.

I Dance Better than Tierno Mega Charizard X  @Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Sword Dance / Roost
- Tailwind   

BOLD= BUILD
ITALICS = Other options

The Build
While most people don't know this but back in generation 4 with HeartGold/SoulSilver, Charizard received a nifty new tutor move called tailwind. Basically what tailwind does is it doubles the speed of the user and all the allied pokemon for up to four turns (changed in Gen 5). Now imagine the implication of this setup move on deadly sweeper like Mega Charizard X who has a base speed of 100. Normally after a dragon dance boost Charizard is fast enough to outspeed most unboosted metagame and hopefully proceed to sweep, again provided it does't get revenge killed by scarfers or weather sweepers. After a tailwind boost, a level 100 Adamant Charizard X speed of 299 (with 252 evs in speed) goes to a incredibly fast 598! That basically means an Adamant Zard X after a tailwind boost is fast enough to outpace positive base 130 speed pokemon including the likes of Latios, Latias, Gengar, Terrakion, Infernape, Greninja, Keldeo, Aerodactly, adamant Excadrill (in sand), jolly Mega Swampert (in rain) or etc. These would-be checks who hope to revenge kill the fire/dragon mega are now threaten by by Mega Charizard X by either of its STAB options. Even if Charizard X can't ohko a scarfer after setting up tailwind, the move itself still has two turns of usefulness  (setup turn and switching out) by Charizard X's teammates to punch holes in the enemy team. Keep in mind Charizard X has three turns after settinig up tailwind wind to make use of its speed so opponents will try to stall it out. This is where sword dance comes in play. To complement this double dance set, Charizard X can sword dance on a potential switch out and can begin wrecking havoc from there. Now instead of the a regular 1.5 attack increase from dragon dance, Charizard X gets its attack doubled and can becomes an fierce sweeper. For example, after a sword dance boost Charizard x a fully physically defensive ohko Mega Sableye, offensive Mega Venusaur, full health multiscale Dragonite, Mega Diancie, Rotom-W, and most frail pokemon with the combination of either flare blitz, dragon claw, or outrage. With caution, use sword dance as a means of wallbreaking defensive cores only after faster checks and other opposing  bulkier walls like Hippowdon, Rhyperior, Mega Aggron, Rotom-W (dragon claw), and others have been weaken. As far as coverage goes, Charizard X can alternate between flare blitz and dragon claw for consistent, high damage output. Key word here is consistent as Charizard X needs flare blitz to get past certain walls/threats despite the recoil damage and a reliable move dragon attack in dragon claw that doesn't lock itself like outrage. In all, the combination of tailwind and sword dance make Charizard X a threatening sweeper and wallbreaker.

Other Options:
Of course there are some options to consider when running a Charizard X set. Outrage is a powerful dragon STAB with a base power of 120 can punch holes in teams and clean up match. Problem with using outrage is with fairy types running amok in OU like Mega Altaria, Gardevoir, Sylveon, Clefable, and others, they can come in freely thanks to their immunity to dragon and can potentially revenge kill back with their respective fairy move. Though opponents will exploit this after Charizard X has knocked out one of their pokemon and has't snapped out of outrage turns. Finally is the dreaded confusion which can be potentially knock out Charizard X if weaken and or provide a free turn for the opposing team considering players will have to switch out Charizard X to cure its confusion.  Fire punch is an alternative without recoil, granted charizard x will miss out on some potential ohkos. Earthquake is another alternative to flare blitz (provided you don't get walled by Mega Altaria and Togekiss) to hit pokemon like Heatran and Mega Diancie hard for super effective damage. If you feel like forgoing one of Mega Charizards setup moves for sustain, roost is an excellent recovery option to regain lost health likely from battle and entry hazards like stealth rock. The issue is Mega Charizard X needs additional team support if it wants to get to either wall break or catch scarfers or weather sweepers off guard if you plan on forgoing either sword dance or tailwind. I did highlight adamant as the preferred nature as Charizard gains double its speed thanks to tailwind.  Charizard X can run jolly to outspeed certain threat after a tailwind however the power boost is noticeable as and may fail to get kos.

Offensive Calculations:

• With Sword Dance Boost, 208 attack evs, and adamant nature (Some with no Stealth Rocks):
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 343-405 (112.8 - 133.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 591-696 (150 - 176.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 343-405 (96.8 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 468-552 (130.3 - 153.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 350-414 (96.1 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 433-510 (113.3 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +1 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 325-384 (85 - 100.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 261-307 (86.1 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 249-294 (61.7 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 357-421 (85 - 100.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 400-472 (123.8 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 382-451 (118.2 - 139.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 223-264 (56.5 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
    208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 444-524 (148.4 - 175.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 350-414 (92.1 - 108.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 261-307 (66.2 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 256-302 (106.2 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 241-285 (59.6 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 366-432 (86.3 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
    +2 208+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 175-207 (45.4 - 53.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Summary:
In conclusion, Mega Charizard X still has a ton of sweeping utility in store for ORAS now that tailwind is far easier to gain access with move tutors. Double dance is a extremely underrated set for Mega Charizard X to as it gives the mighty dragon versatility depending on the battle. Need to outspeed a certain threat and potentially KO it? Tailwind up and proceed for a knock out if granted. Want to predict their potential switch out or need to wall break? Sword dance till your heart's content and watch your opponent piss their pants. In all seriousness, double dance Charizard X is a frightening sweeper that's still has use for ORAS with the additions of faster and bulkier megas like Mega Metagross or Mega Sableye. In all, Charizard X is still a potent mega that any team in singles will have to keep a eye out otherwise the dragon may just claim another team.

Thanks for the read!
Wow, this is insane, I never thought of using Charizard X like this. The offensive power of Mega Charizard X is indeed threatening and it has a wide enough move pool to boot.
[Insert signature here]
great write up with lots of detail! approved!
Follow us on Twitter @_pokemonforever
Learn about us on our Welcome Page
Watch us play games on Twitch.tv
god that devian art picture is amazing!if pokemon was real and that was how mega charizard x looked i would run i mean literally!god that i amazing
I just want to point out that mega zard x isn't 4x weak to ground attacks. Only 2x
Huh I must have forgot to change that since I copy and paste the format from my old chesnaught build. Will change it shortly so thanks.
Hi, just want to say I bred a similar build as this charizard.
My build is
Mega charizard x
@Charizardite
Ability tough claws
IVs: all max except special attack
Evs: HP 150, AT156, Def 100, SA 0 SDef 4, SPD 100
Moves:
Flare Blitz/ Fire Fang
Belly Drum
Dragon Rush
Dragon Dance/ Protect

The EV spread may seem weird, however this is to ensure that charizard stays alive.
This build is extremely fragile, but once the belly drum is set charizard becomes an amazing sweeper capable of 1 hitting almost anything.
Unfortunately I do not have any calculations for this.

I pair it with a Latias for the tailwind and heal pulse support. Also works very well with a mantyke @ eviolite with tailwind and wide guard.

The moves are chain bred. Belly drum from Snorlax
Dragon Rush and Dragon Dance from a Hydreigon.
(Mar 20, 2015, 02:00 PM)MastrTman Wrote: Hi, just want to say I bred a similar build as this charizard.
My build is
Mega charizard x
@Charizardite
Ability tough claws
IVs: all max except special attack
Evs: HP 150, AT156, Def 100, SA 0 SDef 4, SPD 100
Moves:
Flare Blitz/ Fire Fang
Belly Drum
Dragon Rush
Dragon Dance/ Protect

The EV spread may seem weird, however this is to ensure that charizard stays alive.
This build is extremely fragile, but once the belly drum is set charizard becomes an amazing sweeper capable of 1 hitting almost anything.
Unfortunately I do not have any calculations for this.

I pair it with a Latias for the tailwind and heal pulse support. Also works very well with a mantyke @ eviolite with tailwind and wide guard.

The moves are chain bred. Belly drum from Snorlax
Dragon Rush and Dragon Dance from a Hydreigon.

Just a reminder, this set I present should only be used effectively in singles since Charizard X hasn't been able to settle well in the new format.

There are some issues with this set you present especially if its being used in a doubles format. For starters, Mega Charizard X is extremely vulnerable to a good portion of the metagame (Terrakion, Heatran, Landorus-T, Mega Mence, etc. I know it's has similar weakeness to Char Y, losing that ground immunity and becoming neutral to Fairies just really hamper Char X down. If you plan on using a belly drum set, Charizard X absolutely cannot run these inaccurate moves (Dragon Rush, Fire Fang) will cost you the game. Instead of those two moves, run Dragon Claw or Fire Punch since both are 100% accurate and will still achieve the same 2HKOs with or without the belly drum set up. Probably the best way to run a bellyzard in VGC is to pair it up with a Follow Me or Rage Powder user. Pairing Zard X with a wide guard user is extremely risky since your opponents could easily bypass this and go for a single target moves. Again it's really up to you to decide what to run on your Charizard X.
What about of use it 252Att+252HP? Mine is paired with FollowMe-Togekiss and is like a tank.
Like I mentioned, using Mega Charizard X is very risky in doubles but with proper support I can see it working well in best of one games. The best bet to use Mega Charizard X is to pair it up with either a redirection user or a Wide Guard pokemon like Hitmontop or Conkeldurr. The reasoning for this is Charizard X is weak to many spread damage moves like Rock Slide, Surf, Earthquake, and even Pixilate Hyper Voice. The problem pairing Charizard X with Togekiss is this combination will likely invite fast Rock Slide users who can potentially flinch of the two while do supper effective damage. Follow Me might save Charizard X from a fatal single target attack but it won't stop all spread damage Attacks.

One last thing I would like to mention is this set is originally intended to be used in OU tier from the Smogon format instead of doubles. I appreciate everyone giving back feedback and discussion but I would like to focus a bit on the singles metagame instead for the purpose of this thread. Any of you guys are welcome to give a build suggestion thread and we might have a discussion there.