Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SUN/MOON] Weather Wars all over again! (maybe)
It seems like with the new Generation 7 games out, that Game Freak wanted to bring out an aspect that wasn't really used when it was introduced: Terrains. With the Tapus having abilities that create terrains and the new Terrain Extender item, people could be fighting for certain terrains the entire battle. Maybe this is just the incoherent ramblings of someone who doesn't play competitive but from the few things I've seen, terrains seem to be the new weathers.
Players are using both Terrains and Weathers because they stack and it's easier to count turns now thanks to the new battle info page, everything is under control now :D
Even though terrains were introduced back in Gen 6, the introduction of the Tapus as "setters" has lead to various team compositions really on them. Though I'm only speaking about VGC, there's the potential to combine both terrain and weather together to formulate some unexplored strategies, cores, and teams which have yet to be explored. One example is Alolan Muk and Tapu Bulu since Grassy Terrain cuts the damage of Earthquake by half as A-Muk gets progressive recovery. Psychic Terrain has fairly been useful to block out priority for both Hyper Offense and Trick Room which have to contend with them.

Thing is for VGC, I can see all Tapus being viable in some fashion. Even Tapu Fini who has been slightly shafted could get usage to block out Status Conditions, which we've seen Toxic / Wisp run strong. Almost every team now has a Tapu to at least counter balance each other especially Koko, Lele, and Bulu who do receive damage increases. Definitely consider having respective counters for these Tapus since they are the among the strongest mons introduced this gen.